Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
IronBull
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default What do you think of Khan performance last night?

It was good performance. Kahn looked sharper for sure last night - more relaxed. I think people are being a little too critical. Lawton is of a similar standard to limmond, khan has just improved. Oh yeah he has improved his defence!
IronBull is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: What do you think of Khan performance last night?

I find it funny that 6 fights ago people where saying kahn had no power, now they have seen he does they have moved onto his chin. If he fights thaxton and get's hit and survives people when then say he has something else wrong with him. If he was the greatest fighter of all time people would still try to pick his talent apart.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Excellent performance, I need to rewatch it because I felt the stoppage was premature. Lawton was covering up and did not appear to be taking too many shots clean on the chin that were dangerous, his guard was still up etc. But he was getting stopped regardless.

Best performance so far from Khan for a number of reasons.

1. He held a guard until he realised Lawton was out of his depth. This shows that he really has learnt from the Limond fight, he was far more professional about keeping his gloves up.

2. He was much more patient. He would fire in a great hurtful combination and then step back, return to the jab and wait for a gap, he was less eager to wade in, still did it a bit,but against someone who shows more aggression he will probably be more careful and that is good.

3. Power wise he is really coming on leaps and bounds. He has never looked like a banger even when stopping early opponents, but in stopping Limmond and having him down he showed his power had improved and in stopping a guy in 4 who went 7 with Thaxton he has shown an even greater step up in his power. You can see the shots are stinging, hurtful punches and that increase in power as he has filled out is obvious.

He should definitely be looking towards Thaxton now, interesting fight and for the first time I would have Khan as a favourite, but he would just have to be wary of the power shots.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

It was a good performance(what I expected really) and exactly what someone with World aspirations should be doing .

However I knew some people who say it was a big improvement from the Limond fight(which it was) because Limond is on another level to Lawton .

Unlike what IronBull said Lawton is not of a similar standard to Limond , he doesn't have the handspeed of Limond(which is very good) , the defence and head movement and most of all the belief and desire of Limond to come forward and look to actually win the fight . Limond hits harder than Lawton and would never be a rabbit in the headlights no matter who he fights . Lawton was startstruck and seemed just happy to be there , his comments after the fight were a bit pitiful as he went over the top in his praise for Khan and seemed to indicate that deep down he didn't believe he could win .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The whole point is people are saying he was starstruck etc but could it not have been that kahn was to good for him and he was shcoked by the fact that kahn picked his shot's and then came out and did what he was meant to.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Agree with Big Ears. Khan looked a lot sharper, and his defence tighter, but I thought Lawton was a fairly big step back from Limond. Maybe he didn't do himself justice and froze, but Limond was actually interested in making a fight of it.

Lawton got backed up throughout the fight and was rarely throwing anything. Limond met Khan head on, and traded a lot of shots. Same result in the end, sure...but a lot less of a test for Khan lastnight.
AAA is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

It was definately Khans best performance technically. However, the quality of the opponent is an issue for me in all of this.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It was definitely a step back, but a fair enough fight to take. The thing is that Thaxton looked so shaky that I would favour Khan slightly now, whereas before I thought Thaxton would stop him. That scenario is still very plausible because Thaxton would at least believe in himself and try to win and he has the power.

I just thought that Khan looked more sensible and even when it was obvious he could bulldozer Lawton he looked to box more professionally.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Maza1987
Illin' since '87
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3356

hes ready for earl then thaxton
Maza1987 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ok barring a couple of great mexicans etc who has fought better competion at the age of 20 than amir kahn???
Old 10-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
mmickyward
Journeyman

i was very impressed with kahns timing and patience.His best performance so far. earl then thaxton i hope.Both very winnable for him
mmickyward is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Thank god this forum was not around during Bruno's or Lewis' learning fights...

As Lennox found out, being on TV from fight one is a doubled edged sword, sure you get excellent publicity and no doubt the money that comes with that, but everyone gets to see you learn on the job and make sometimes fairly big mistakes.

Boxrec to is to a degree a god send but it now means promoters can not fake pro records of opponents so easily as well.

The truth is, if Amir was a normal fighter only now would his fights be shown on TV and he would be fighting with a clean slate so to speak because no one would of seen his warts and all performances against the likes of Drilzane and Limond. And if your first experience of Amir was last night, you surely would of been fairly impressed?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That is the best post i have heard in regards to kahn tbooze .
Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Thank god this forum was not around during Bruno's or Lewis' learning fights...

As Lennox found out, being on TV from fight one is a doubled edged sword, sure you get excellent publicity and no doubt the money that comes with that, but everyone gets to see you learn on the job and make sometimes fairly big mistakes.

Boxrec to is to a degree a god send but it now means promoters can not fake pro records of opponents so easily as well.

The truth is, if Amir was a normal fighter only now would his fights be shown on TV and he would be fighting with a clean slate so to speak because no one would of seen his warts and all performances against the likes of Drilzane and Limond. And if your first experience of Amir was last night, you surely would of been fairly impressed?
That is a good post and I agree in the main, and said this several times myself.
But I am not sure about your examples, in Lennox Lewis' 15th fight he took on Gary Mason who was 35-0 with 33 KO wins. And other guys like Hamed won the European title in his 12th fight.

Don't get me wrong I think it is normal for the first 8-9 fights to be nothing matches and then a gradual but real step up from there.
Khan has been over criticised for this due to the exposure like you say, but if he is as good as he says and as he is touted as being then there cannot be any more poor fights made, but in fairness I think Limmond was a great step up and exactly what he needed.

Going into his 15th fight now Earl is exactly where he should be.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
eddie007
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
That is the best post i have heard in regards to kahn tbooze .
Agreed
eddie007 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum