boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #31
lefthook89
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
seriously , are/were you serious ?
this is mine :
1. Vitali Klitschko
2. George Foreman
3. Lennox Lewis
4. Mike Tyson
5. Muhammad Ali
6. Wladimir Klitschko
7. David Tua
8. Oliver McCall
9. Joe Louis
10. Evander Holyfield

Bowe , Frazier , Holmes are borderline .
Bowe did not prove enough , Ibragimov was very good in his fights , but lacks quality fights , byrd lacks stoppage wins , even his decision win over tua is undeserved . Holmes' quality of opposition lacks.
frazier would have gotten stopped by most of the fighters in my list , beat the minority of them. marciano was very good , for me he is a top5 at 175 , along with langford , spinks , walcott , tunney.
liston's opposition lacks either quality or h2h ability.
patterson could have been a great 175.
lol, your just as much of a joke than the TS is
lefthook89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #32
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by duran duran View Post
wheres sammy scaff and danny mcalindon
At least McAlinden beat Ali in MSG at the FOTC.
Wheres joe egan in this top10? Or even rocky secorski
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #33
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 3500
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
The whole list is a joke, but I'm going to pick on Vitali being first. Why is he above Lennox Lewis when he had his face obliterated by a past prime and out of shape version of him?
it is still not a knockout you know , some people are more prone to cut than others. vitali deserved either a rematch or that match being held somewhat earlier.
more important : vitali was never KO'd as a pro , unlike lewis whom was , or definitely would have been , had both of his stoppage losses were not called the moment they were.
vitali also stopped 2 of the men whom stopped wladimir .
post your top10 , and see whose list is better.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,451
vCash: 75
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Frankenfranks list is even worse

Frankenfrank, do us all a favour and **** off
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #35
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

So Vitali is the greatest Heavyweight of all time because he was never knocked out as a professional. Makes perfect sense to me.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #36
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 23,490
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by woddy View Post
1. Mike tyson
2. Wladimir klitschko
3. Vitali klitschko
4. Lennox lewis
5. Chris byrd
6. John ruiz
7. Ruslan chagaev
8. Tony tucker
9. Corrie sanders
10. Lamon brewster.
Thank you noddy.
Say hello to Big Ears for me.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #37
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,451
vCash: 75
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

1. Ali-Best scalps (Liston, Frazier, Foreman) awesome style which seems hard for any 'great' Heavy to fathom. Not quite as consistent as Louis, but then Ali fought btter opp.

2. Joe Louis-The greatest composite puncher in history IMO. The king of the rematches. Good level of opposition spanning a few era's. Late career losses don't harm him too much, fought everyone. Very consistent champ with the record number of defences. My personal fave, and possibly my favourite fighter of all time. There has never been a fighter who has bettered his punching technique IMO.

3. Lennox Lewis-Fought the most punchers of any champ as far as I can see. Not everyones cup of tea, but evenged his two losses and was very good technically. Some good wins, even if some of his 'names' were post-prime.

4. George Foreman-A controversial pick I feel, but Foremans win over the undefeated Frazier is about as good as you're gonna get. Didn't have a great title run to start off with, but made amends by fighting a large range of contenders upon his comeback, and the win over Moorer gets him extra kudos for the fact he was so old.

5. Larry Holmes-I love Holmes. IMO the best heavyweight jab of all time. Resilient, tough, and intelligent. Some close decisions against the contenders of his day lose him a few marks, but he was dominant, and, bar Prime Kid Dynamite, was stopped just once. His late 80's/early 90's career saw him pick up some good wins as well.

6. Evander Holyfield-Whilst he lost the series with his nemesis Bowe and has more excuses than ****ne Wenger, had some quality wins, and his accuracy, speed and heart make him a very formidable fighter IMO. Made quick work of (an admittedly fat) Douglas, and was the first to beat the comebackign Tyson, is quality fashion as well. Still competiting now; arguably winning a fight against a 7' 'champion' at 47 must surely do wonders for a mans alltime standing?

7. Mike Tyson-Didn't burn for long, but even post-Douglas picked up some quality wins. Like Foreman, Tyson gains extra kudos for 'special achievement'; being such a young Unified Champ. In his prime, arguably the fiercest and most formidable Heavyweight champ in history. Not a stacked resume, but dealt with the contenders in a succinct and destructive fashion. Win over Spinks (lay off or not) was extremely impressive. I'm also starting to think that larry Holmes was more prepared for Tyson than he originally let on.

8. Rocky Marciano-Took me a while to come round to The Rock, but has some subtle touches to his skillset I appreciate. Beating the likes of Charles (x2) LeStarza (x2) Walcott (x2) Archie Moore and Louis (the latter albeit way past prime) are no mean feats; I don't favour Rocky over anyone in my top ten, though Frazier-Marciano would be an amazing right vs left battle, and Tunney vs Marciano would be one of the greatest fights of all time. Hard to find anyone under 190bs I'd favour to beat Marciano, nor many Cruisers.

9. Joe Frazier-First man to beat Ali (and what a fight!) and wins over the likes of Ellis and Quarry mark him out as a Heavy of some repute. Loses marks for being essentially one handed and not having a monster reign at the top, but as one of the top guys from the Golden Age of Heavyweights, he deserves a high ranking IMO.

10. Gene Tunney-An awesome boxer. His Heavyweight comp isn't fantastic, but his two wins over Dempsey are. Dempsey may have been rusty in the first fight, but Tunney showed all his cunning in taking the **** in the rematch (the infamous long count) and IMO showed his pure boxing ability by starting brilliantly after the knockdown. A great fighter-Never beaten at the weight.

Honourable Mentions (in no particular order): Sonny Liston, Jack Dempsey, Floyd Patterson, Jack Johnson, Sam Langford, Wladimir Klitschko, Ezzard Charles.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #38
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 1185
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
it is still not a knockout you know , some people are more prone to cut than others. vitali deserved either a rematch or that match being held somewhat earlier.
more important : vitali was never KO'd as a pro , unlike lewis whom was , or definitely would have been , had both of his stoppage losses were not called the moment they were.
vitali also stopped 2 of the men whom stopped wladimir .
post your top10 , and see whose list is better.
What is the criteria for your list then? If it's for never having been knocked out then why isn't Oliver McCall not top or nearer top? He has never been knocked out. TKO losses, just like Vitali.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #39
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 3500
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
What is the criteria for your list then? If it's for never having been knocked out then why isn't Oliver McCall not top or nearer top? He has never been knocked out. TKO losses, just like Vitali.
my criteria is h2h , and thus i ask you to try and find me 10 fighters whom you think will beat my 10 . fleaman the moron almost repeated my list after dissing it , but at a worse sort and he added tunney , whom povetkin , ibragimov and orlin norris would have destroyed. dempsey actually already did it , and he is a top10 hw whom lost to a mw. really convincing. tunney would definitely school vitali klitschko. and marciano ? as i said , a top5 lhw , even a top10 cw. but the big guys would destroy him.he had the priviledge of not having to fight any much bigger fighter than himself and that is prime.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #40
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 1185
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
my criteria is h2h , and thus i ask you to try and find me 10 fighters whom you think will beat my 10 . fleaman the moron almost repeated my list after dissing it , but at a worse sort and he added tunney , whom povetkin , ibragimov and orlin norris would have destroyed. dempsey actually already did it , and he is a top10 hw whom lost to a mw. really convincing. tunney would definitely school vitali klitschko. and marciano ? as i said , a top5 lhw , even a top10 cw. but the big guys would destroy him.he had the priviledge of not having to fight any much bigger fighter than himself and that is prime.
If it's head to head then Lennox Lewis is above Vitali Klitschko. No argument.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #41
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 3500
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
If it's head to head then Lennox Lewis is above Vitali Klitschko. No argument.
a rematch could have changed your opinion altogether , but do you think vitali klitschko would have been KO'd by rahman ? and maybe it is a weak spot in my list , but it is still stronger than the weak spots in other posters' lists , so where is your top10 ?
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #42
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 14,188
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
a rematch could have changed your opinion altogether , but do you think vitali klitschko would have been KO'd by rahman ? and maybe it is a weak spot in my list , but it is still stronger than the weak spots in other posters' lists , so where is your top10 ?
What would a rematch have proven? By the time they fought again perhaps 6 months to a year later, we would have been looking at a 40ish Lewis who incidentally already had claim to beating Vitali the first time. And I'm still not entrely sold on the idea that Klit would have beaten him anyway. Lewis showed up for the first fight at a career high weight, and with a whole year of inactivity behind him.. In all likely hood he woul have been better prepared the second time around...
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #43
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 3500
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
What would a rematch have proven? By the time they fought again perhaps 6 months to a year later, we would have been looking at a 40ish Lewis who incidentally already had claim to beating Vitali the first time. And I'm still not entrely sold on the idea that Klit would have beaten him anyway. Lewis showed up for the first fight at a career high weight, and with a whole year of inactivity behind him.. In all likely hood he woul have been better prepared the second time around...
maybe vitali too would have been better prepared for a rematch , and i do not mean physically . again , lewis below vitali is not because of the outcome of their fight but because lewis was KO'd twice while vitali was never KO'd as a pro. that's why he is above lewis , had lewis KO'd him , he may have been above him in my list , but he did not.
and also , lewis , in 2 fights could not stop an elder holyfield than the one whom was KO'd by bowe.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #44
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Just shut the hell up, Frank.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #45
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 1185
Default Re: My all time great top heavyweights list

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
maybe vitali too would have been better prepared for a rematch , and i do not mean physically . again , lewis below vitali is not because of the outcome of their fight but because lewis was KO'd twice while vitali was never KO'd as a pro. that's why he is above lewis , had lewis KO'd him , he may have been above him in my list , but he did not.
and also , lewis , in 2 fights could not stop an elder holyfield than the one whom was KO'd by bowe.
You said your list was head to head match up based. Stop twisting it so you can get your hero first.
manbearpig is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015