Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
thekokid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default just too good?

whats your experiences of been outclassed by someone who was operating on a completely different level??? how do you deal with it?
thekokid is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: just too good?

I remember back in the day... young, dumb and full of... dumb ideas! I was getting repeatedly beaten up by one of my sparring partners and there wasn't a thing I could do to stop him... within the rules anyway. A few low blows later and a strategically placed 'Scottish kiss' made him think twice about beating the crap out of me again... I guess that's not much help to you though!

My advice would be to study your foe, find his weaknesses and work hard to find ways to exploit them.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In sparring, not much you can do about it really. At the end of the day, some people are always just going to be better than you. Just concentrate on defence and try to pick your shots carefully. Stay out of range if you're being opened up very easily.

I said in sparring, because my advice if this was the case in a fight would be to outmuscle your opponent. Throw all your shots with venom and try to get inside and rough them up. Don't do this in your gym because you don't want to start a gym war etc.
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Get better, improve as much as you can. Just because they are quicker doesn't mean they can take your body shots. Just becasue they are stonger doesn't mean you can't be smarter. Just because they have infinate stamina doesn't mean you can't pick the more eyecatching shots. And so on....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

In sparring? Keep trying and learn from what he's doing to you. In a fight you'd just take your beating like a man I guess.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

My first open class fight was in a tournament and I drew a guy that had 40 fights. He beat me lilke 30-5 and then went on to win his three other fights the next three days and won the tournament. I had lost before but they were all really close.

I didn't get beaten up or hurt though, and I had taken worse beatings in sparring he just outclassed me so it didn't really bother me except that I trained really hard for the tournament and wish I had gotten an opponent with the same experience as me in the first round, but nothing I can do about that.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

I had a fight like this. He kept throwing overhand rights and smashing me in the chin and I was feeling dizzy every time it happened. i knew he would throw that punch but couldn't get away from it. during the break after getting a standing 8 count i remember thinking "i'm losing, gonna need to stop this guy". Went out trying to brawl and ended up getting retired while out on my feet. was a painful night.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekokid View Post
whats your experiences of been outclassed by someone who was operating on a completely different level??? how do you deal with it?
Prepare yourself before you ever get in the ring with him again.
If you cant match him in skill, then show that you are in better condition and that he can not hurt you.
If you cant put the work in,
find another game to play --- maybe golf.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Work on defense when you're in with them. Also, when you're getting bashed around think of it as toughness training. I remember being on the ropes with my hands down getting pounded by a 220 guy, and I was thinking "Good, if this isn't knocking me over then nobody in my weight class will." I also remember having a headache the day after...

Also, instead of trying to beat them, focus on landing one or two good types of counters. You might work on coming over their jab with your right, or slipping their right and landing a left to the body. Or maybe you could work on a strategy. For example, you could try to pressure and crowd them. This is probably the best plan, because it takes a lot of sting off their punches. You'll get hit a lot, but it won't hurt as bad.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Work on defense when you're in with them. Also, when you're getting bashed around think of it as toughness training. I remember being on the ropes with my hands down getting pounded by a 220 guy, and I was thinking "Good, if this isn't knocking me over then nobody in my weight class will." I also remember having a headache the day after...

Also, instead of trying to beat them, focus on landing one or two good types of counters. You might work on coming over their jab with your right, or slipping their right and landing a left to the body. Or maybe you could work on a strategy. For example, you could try to pressure and crowd them. This is probably the best plan, because it takes a lot of sting off their punches. You'll get hit a lot, but it won't hurt as bad.
I had the same thoughts when I sparred someone who outweighed me by 60 pounds.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

the only way to get smarter is by facing a smarter opponent
- chess fundamentals
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekokid View Post
Depends on what he is whipping you with. Speed? Strength? Pressure? Stance? Fundamentals?

There are answers to each, but if he has you in two or more you just have to call it a day. Some guys you just can't whip.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing