brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3681
Default Re: Learning to skip....

I think actually learning to skip takes about 15-20 mins of persistance, then it's just building on it but it comes really quickly. Like others have said, try not to think about where the rope is too much, it should become natural.

I can't do crossovers either, mostly because I haven't a clue what's supposed to be happening in a crossover. I like to go down the running track at night, when no-one can see you trip up ... skip and then do sprints, increasing the distance for each sprint. Then go back to skipping and repeat.
Broxi is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Active recovery, like it broxi
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I've just started training and am an absolute retard when it comes to skipping.

I was picking my heels up 2 footed and jumping like a demented horse.

2 things helped me progress a bit.

1. Start jumping and hold the rope in one hand. just spin the doubled up rope around by your side so that you get used to the rhythm whilst doing little jumps.

2. To stop me jumping to high, I sart doing the little jumps with the rope behind me. Then when I feel I have the rhythm bring the rope over.

At first I could get about 3 revolutions. After a week I could keep it going for a couple of minutes. Next week going to start using alternate feet. It is difficult doing it when you know you look like an idiot and there is some wanker doing doubles next to you lol.
I feels like it is coming fairly quick though and I will perservire!

Anyways Jeff. A good boxer like you wanting to learn skipping?

Just kidding I assume for the new gym.
Will is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Cheers will, yep for the new gym members.... Not a massive fan of skipping - i've done it too often for too many years but its a great form of exercise for so many reasons.....

CV fitness
Endurance
Bone density
Developing leg muscles too be more springy... for a better word...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #21
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Cheers will, yep for the new gym members.... Not a massive fan of skipping - i've done it too often for too many years but its a great form of exercise for so many reasons.....

CV fitness
Endurance
Bone density
Developing leg muscles too be more springy... for a better word...
In the few vids of you boxing that I have seen you move pretty well so it must have done you some good (or do you attribute this so another part of your training or another sport or natural ability).

I've litterally started training (mainly to get back in shape) 2 weeks ago. First time really boxing (used to a fair amount of martial arts as a kid) and turns out I am a right handed southpaw. Consequently my left cross is not as natural as it could be and I have a little trouble throwing it straight and not looping it. Any tips? (remember you saying somewhere you can fight in either stance).
Will is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxi View Post
I think actually learning to skip takes about 15-20 mins of persistance, then it's just building on it but it comes really quickly. Like others have said, try not to think about where the rope is too much, it should become natural.

I can't do crossovers either, mostly because I haven't a clue what's supposed to be happening in a crossover. I like to go down the running track at night, when no-one can see you trip up ... skip and then do sprints, increasing the distance for each sprint. Then go back to skipping and repeat.

it looks harder than it is honestly when the rotation comes around just cross your arms then the rope goes under your feet and uncross them and your back to normal
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
mryeags
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I found skipping absolutley pointless ... its old school and you would be better off shadow boxing to music gets ur feet in the rhythm and builds co-ordination and speed ...

Skipping for me - no point ! ... horses for courses i guess but i never did it ...
mryeags is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing