Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
cris_000

vCash: 500
Default problem with technique!!!

thanks for taking a look. the problem is my left hand. when i throw punches whether it'd be a jab or hook i unconsciously twist my wrist. i noticed too late after hitting the heavy bag and noticed that i did it while hitting the mitts as well, and now my wrist is messed up. i know its not a fracture because i can move my wrist around and fingers. think its a sprain but then again, im new at this. its been like this almost a week, haven't hit with much power since then with my left hand with the fear of messing it up even more. im right handed, and have not even been boxing for a month.

what i wanna know is if its common to do that with your non-dominant hand when throwing punches? and how do i correct this, so that i don't have to consciously always be checking that my wrist is straight before i throw something? also if theres any way to help speed up the healing process, i'd be all for it! thanks for the input!!
cris_000 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: problem with technique!!!

I was gonna make a joke, but since your new I'm just gonna cool out. Anyways, are you wrapping your wrists correctly?
wordisbond is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

You're meant to twist your punch most of the time, it's probably because you lack at this stage the coordination and timing to execute your punches properly. Close your fist completely at the last second and punch with your first two knuckles, that should save you from hurting your wrist.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
cris_000

vCash: 500

i wasn't using wraps, gonna use my first pair today, i was told they helped with the healing and keeping my wrist straight.

you're probably right lefty, im new at this, but thats also the reason i want to get this problem fixed. dont wanna lose out on the race before i even had a chance to compete. i'll keep in mind what you said when i go to practice later today.
cris_000 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_000 View Post
i wasn't using wraps, gonna use my first pair today, i was told they helped with the healing and keeping my wrist straight.

you're probably right lefty, im new at this, but thats also the reason i want to get this problem fixed. dont wanna lose out on the race before i even had a chance to compete. i'll keep in mind what you said when i go to practice later today.

sounds like you need to learn to wrap your hands properly its very important! also when working on the bag or watever dont worry to much about power or even speed at this stage just get that technique perfected and the power and speed will come
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
rowza

Wrap your hands correct mate and work on co-ordination Sounds like this is the problem :/
rowza is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_000 View Post

Oh yeah wraps are a must! As someone else said work on your technique and everything else will come to you, it's better to be slow and have good technique rather than vice versa when you're starting out. I think it's natural to want to impress when you start something new, my advice is don't worry about showing how good you are to the people around you, just have your mind focused on improving something each time you go to the gym.
Shadowboxing is great for learning how your body mechanics work, always nice and relaxed, balanced with a focus on footwork and closing your fist at full extension will help lengthen your punches and get you to understand your range. It's always hardest when you first start, keep at it!
lefty is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You weren't wrapping your hands??? Come on brother, you have your answer right there.
wordisbond is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing