Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default British opinion on Pacquiao vs Barrera

Now I know there will be a billion opinions on the general forum about this fight, but they dont interest me. What interests me is what the fans from these shores thought about the fight.

To be honest, I was totally hyped about the fight. However, I decided to go to my bed & watch the fight at my pals house the next day without knowing the result, & to be honest I thought it was pretty awful.

Pac confirmed the rumours that hes not training right anymore with a lacklustre performance, & Barrera attempted to outbox him with pitty-pat punches, to be honest I enjoyed the Thaxton-Stewart fight a helluva lot more.

Just wondering what you all thought here about that so-called superfight.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563
Default Re: British opinion on Pacquiao vs Barrera

It was ok viewing, far better than the Thaxton fight as Barrera is still infinitely more skilled, so far better to watch.

The result was of course inevitable, even if Barrera had won, he would have deserved no credit. The whole fight being competitive was based Pacman having lost his focus.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I was looking forward to a great fight but Barrera seemed content just to go the distance. Reminded me very much of Jones Tarver III.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I actually had it 115-114 for Barrera. Had Barrera winning 1-5,8,10.

The Brit Live broadcast missed 10-12 after waiting upp all night - bloody terrible

Rounds 5,6,7,8,11 were exciting especially 7
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
It was ok viewing, far better than the Thaxton fight as Barrera is still infinitely more skilled, so far better to watch.

The result was of course inevitable, even if Barrera had won, he would have deserved no credit. The whole fight being competitive was based Pacman having lost his focus.
thats where we disagree. of course you will always control the moral highground here cos Barrera & Pacquiao are modern day legends.

All I am saying though is that Thaxton & Stewart fought themslelves to a virtual standstill & knocked hell out of each other in the process, & sometimes I think these so called 'superfights' are anything but.

There is no doubt that Barrera & Pacquiao are a big draw, but they simply didnt deliver the goods, whereas a domestic scrap between Thaxton & stewart blew that fight out of the water excitement wise.

& I say that as a fan of the losing fighter!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pacman and mab was a superfight the first time round, now it's just a hype job to make money, everybody knew pacman was gonna win. It isn't really a superfight like mosley vs cotto or pbf vs hatton or any other actual superfight.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
thats where we disagree. of course you will always control the moral highground here cos Barrera & Pacquiao are modern day legends.

All I am saying though is that Thaxton & Stewart fought themslelves to a virtual standstill & knocked hell out of each other in the process, & sometimes I think these so called 'superfights' are anything but.

There is no doubt that Barrera & Pacquiao are a big draw, but they simply didnt deliver the goods, whereas a domestic scrap between Thaxton & stewart blew that fight out of the water excitement wise.

& I say that as a fan of the losing fighter!
This difference was though, Barrera was using body movement and footwork to keep Pacman of balance, which was good to watch. Thaxton and Steward were throwing themselves off balance.

Surely is more entertaining watching two legends employ movement and skill than it is to watch two fighters (failures in comparison) inefficiently pace themselves?

I'm not a fan of fights like Pacman - Barrera IV taking place either.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
This difference was though, Barrera was using body movement and footwork to keep Pacman of balance, which was good to watch. Thaxton and Steward were throwing themselves off balance.

Surely is more entertaining watching two legends employ movement and skill than it is to watch two fighters (failures in comparison) inefficiently pace themselves?

I'm not a fan of fights like Pacman - Barrera IV taking place either.
As I say CHJ, Im not trying to win any arguments here or score points. Your points are valid, & I accept them wholeheartedly.

Im just speaking as a fan from these shores who has witnessed two cracking fights between Kevin Anderson & Francis jones, & Jon Thaxton & dave Stewart. both were great fights & had me on the edge of my seat, & then I watch a so-called 'superfight' which IMO stunk.

Barrera fought a safety first fight against a champion in Pacquiao who as you say, & I said on ESB general forum a while back, has lost 'the eye of the tiger'

Im not out to win an argument here, far from it. I just sometimes think that our own boys deserve more credit than they get on the forums.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
As I say CHJ, Im not trying to win any arguments here or score points. Your points are valid, & I accept them wholeheartedly.

Im just speaking as a fan from these shores who has witnessed two cracking fights between Kevin Anderson & Francis jones, & Jon Thaxton & dave Stewart. both were great fights & had me on the edge of my seat, & then I watch a so-called 'superfight' which IMO stunk.

Barrera fought a safety first fight against a champion in Pacquiao who as you say, & I said on ESB general forum a while back, has lost 'the eye of the tiger'

Im not out to win an argument here, far from it. I just sometimes think that our own boys deserve more credit than they get on the forums.
I sometimes wish, like you I could watch a fight, become emotionally involved and genuinely care about who wins and maybe even be entertained by it all.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
gutto
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I Agree With What Your Saying About Our Boys Making The Pages Here More But I Did Enjoy The Fight Not What I Was Expecting But Still Mab Moving Well And Wondering If Pac Was Going To Land Big Time Had Me On The Edge Of My Seat. Will Be Interesting To See If Pac Changes Trainers (why Was He Taking No Notice Of Roach?) I Think Pac Looked A Bit Short On Idears Did He Think Mab Was Going To Stand And Trade All Night Where Was The Plan B ?
gutto is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:
I sometimes wish, like you I could watch a fight, become emotionally involved and genuinely care about who wins and maybe even be entertained by it all.
Are you a nihlist CHJ?
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
rooq
East Side Guru

i enjoyed the fight. in fact, i enjoyed the whole card.

andrade getting the first kd of his career and coming back to grind his opponent down.

the quick slick jabbing of southpaw luevano - is this guy right handed, because he seems to have a lot of power in that jab!
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ftaher time has simply caught up with Marco, glad he's retired. I must admit I really enjoyed watching Barrea showcase his boxing ability, that was always going to happen, just liek he did against Juarez the second time.

Such a shame Pac wasnt around when Barrera and Morrales were in their prime. They could have had some immense wars and im sure pacman would have been training harder.

bring on Pacman V Guzman IMO. Guzman beats him too.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris
Are you a nihlist CHJ?
I'm not far from being a nihilist, not quite though. They have the right kind of ideas however.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
moff123

I was dissapointed with the fight, i think Barrera could of gave more in the later rounds seeing as it was his last fight but it seemed he was just happy not to get stopped like the last time they met.
moff123 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum