50-50. Pick em' fight. 0 0%
I think Chambers will win 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Predictions and opinions on Chambers Chances.

With the Chambers vs. Wlad Klitschko match coming up, I thought I'd post a poll and ask for predictions and opinions on Chambers chances.

If you have not see a lot of Chambers, he is a very athletic and quick heavyweight. Chambers has fine hand speed, good defense, a good chin, and some pop in his gloves. On the down side he's only 6' is a tad light by modern standards, and does not have a high punch out put, nor does he take a lot of risks. He is a top boxer, and legit top ten opponent.

Chambers has earned this fight by defeating Peter and Dimitrenko. His only pro loss was on points to Povetkin ( Povetkin is the #3 man right now in my book behind the Klitschko's ). Still Chambers was competitive with Povetkin until the later rounds when he seemed to lose energy. He is in shape now and ready to go. At age 27 Chambers should be in his prime. Wlad has been out of action due to an injury. Judging by the photos, he looks to be a tad heavier and thicker than usual.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664
Default Re: Predictions and opinions on Chambers Chances.

Yeah, I see Chambers as being better than Povetkin. I thought he gave that fight away miserably. But I also think he felt so in control, was so comfortable, that he really thought he must be winning. His ****iness killed any sense of urgency. If Dimitrenko is an indication, I think he has learned from that error. I think he'll be live. I voted 21-33.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I think Wladimir is susceptible to fast, straight shots up the middle. I think Chambers will start finding a way to get close in the middle rounds, exploit this, and stop Klitschko.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by McGrain; 03-19-2010 at 02:53 PM.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
On the down side he's only 6' is a tad light by modern standards, and does not have a high punch out put, nor does he take a lot of risks
This right here is going to make it very difficult for him to win. No way hes going to out box Wlad, and he has to take chances against him to win. Wlad has just improved ten fold in maintaining his distance and using his size against opponents, so the way to beat him is to drag him into a close range slugfest without getting slaughtered by his righthand coming in. Tall order.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

Dont give him much of a chance. Chambers is a short small guy. Wlad will bully him from long range with the jab and never let him inside. This is the kind of guy Wlad specializes in beating. In the Dimitranko fight all he did was walk him down. That does not work on Wlad ask Byrd. Also Dimitrenko landed many jabs and some crosses but the power was much less. The only thing I liked about him was that he stayed in thee pocket and had fast hands. This can be his undoing or his winning. If he can take a punch his mush faster hands can counter in between Wlads shots and he can combo in close range if he does this without being KO'd he can win in Sanders fashion. If he is in close and cant survive Wlads shots itll be an early night. If he walks Wlad down he'll be pulverized by jabs and crosses but probably go like 6. If he tries to box on the outside he may go 12.
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Over the past few months, I have heard a lot of posters compare this match-up to Wlad's bouts with Chris Byrd. While there may be some similarities, I do think that the circumstances are a tad different... Chris Byrd was aging against a prime Wlad, whereas Chambers is at his peak facing an aged Klitschko.. Additionally, Chambers has been keeping busy and defeating quality opponents, and Wlad has only fought but once in the past 15 months, against an equally inactive foe.. The huge margins in size, strength and experience are what make me very hesitant to give Eddie much of a chance though.. And if Chambers is still overly cautious and conservative, the way he has been in recent years, he doesn't stand to accomplish much on the cards...

I rated Eddie's chances as being 21-33 on the pole.. The only way I see him taking this, is if Wlad shows up complacent while Eddie boxes a masterfully beautiful fight, but I think the chances of this are slim.... The likely outcome for me, is Klitschko taking a wide decision in a fight where Chambers is in there to survive and do little else..

On a sidenote - There are some rumors developing about a possible Wlad vs Haye match, should both men win their upcoming bouts.. Don't know if this will materialize before the end of calendar 2010, but if it does, I think Wlad should beat Haye and call it quits... He's never going to fight his own brother and once Chambers and Haye are out of the picture, there really isn't much left for him to do, except pad his record with nobodies until the day comes when one of them upsets him.... He's pushing 34 years old, and will be 35 by this time next year... Povetkin might be a good possible opponent, but I think he's better left for Vitali, to determine the next heir to the thrown...
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Posted by me
I think Wladimir is susceptible to fast, straight shots up the middle. I think Chambers will start finding a way to get close in the middle rounds, exploit this, and stop Klitschko.
I just want to add that I think Wlad will be pitching a shut out, or close to that, when Chambers eventually gets into range. If Lampley is calling this one, get ready for the drama. That, or expect Wladimir to win a boring decision. Alright, it's a fight. Anything could happen. My third option is Klitschko lands a blow that Chambers can't shake, and the fight ends with a head jarring ko.

Those are the 3 most likely scenarios in my mind. Klitschko is the victor in 2 of 3. I just believe Chambers is capable of avoiding enough early damage and get into range to land his fast right hand repeatedly. Klitschko may well hold on, and smother Chambers, on his way to a decision if any of what I'm predicting plays out. I'm still siding with the underdog.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

I do believe that Chambers is a live underdog in this fight but I think he'd have a much better chance of taking a decision if the fight was taking place in the states. Chambers is going to have to out land Wlad by like 2-1 to get a decision in Germany. I'm sure he's aware of this and understands that he'll need to open up offensively to have a chance at winning. This change in strategy will have some serious pitfalls if he is unable to land some effective combos and throw Wlad's rhythm off.
Son of Gaul is online now  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

What are you trying to say, McGrain?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Vlad should be able to keep Chambers on the end of the jab and at bay with the occasional right hand. However I like Chambers mental approach to this fight and I think he is going to try and let Vlad fall behind on points or tire and then look to land those pin point shots I give Chambers a 21-33 % chance. I think Chambers is giving himself his best shot by getting light and in better shape that he has been. He is going to try and utilize his speed and occasional combo's but its an up hill battle and Vlad is expecting a game challenge.

I don't compare him to Byrd but more of a Jimmy Young with some pop. He hit Dimentrenko with authority and Derrick Rossy another Big boy and he shook Povetkin early on with the best shots of the fights but withered and was outworked as the fight wore on. Chambers is 35-1 and has beaten Peter, Brock, Guinn, Dimentrenko, Rossy and some other good solid fighters

I like Vlad to win a UD or can he be the first to stop Chambers but this is not an easy fight and may create a few anxious moments because Vlad may get hit more than he has in recent times.

Vlad may rise to the occasion and take Chambers out but he should watch that he does not fall behind and have to chase the victory
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Old 03-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Old 03-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
This right here is going to make it very difficult for him to win. No way hes going to out box Wlad, and he has to take chances against him to win. Wlad has just improved ten fold in maintaining his distance and using his size against opponents, so the way to beat him is to drag him into a close range slugfest without getting slaughtered by his righthand coming in. Tall order.

I agree. Not only is Wlad's jab and right cross tough to get past, but the other guy has to have the courage to take risks to get inside, and then avoid being clinched. To make things even more complicated, Wladmir is a pretty mobile big man, and he fight with his right hand high up to protect his chin..

Chambers is not very aggressive by nature, and like most fighters once he gets a feel for Kitschko's power and surprising speed, he’s going to be cautious.

This fight might be a reply of Ibragimov with Chambers playing defense, and looking for a big counter.

I do think Chambers is a pretty good talent, but unless he lands a killer combo or a near perfect shot, I can't see him winning here.

These skilled super heavies with long jabs and feared right crosses are very hard to out box. I doubt Lewis or either Klitschko will lose a decision. Bowe only lost one decision in his life, and it was a close call.

Last edited by Mendoza; 03-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum