Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Arm punches

We all know that a good punch is thrown with your entire body. Legs, hips, back, shoulders.

But sometimes in a fight you have to resort to arm punches. You cant always throw punches to your opponent and expect him to be open for the long leverage shots.

So does training your biceps, and triceps come in handy for close quarters punching or dirty boxing?

The reason why I ask this is I personally feel very strong when I can put my back and my legs in to a punch, but in a straight up Marco antonio barrera esque brawl I have trouble delivering power up to my satisfaction. I feel weak when I cant get good leverage.
Ethan Trims is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Arm punches

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian55
We all know that a good punch is thrown with your entire body. Legs, hips, back, shoulders.

But sometimes in a fight you have to resort to arm punches. You cant always throw punches to your opponent and expect him to be open for the long leverage shots.

So does training your biceps, and triceps come in handy for close quarters punching or dirty boxing?

The reason why I ask this is I personally feel very strong when I can put my back and my legs in to a punch, but in a straight up Marco antonio barrera esque brawl I have trouble delivering power up to my satisfaction. I feel weak when I cant get good leverage.
I think it would be better to improve on your balance, stance or whatever it is that prevents you from getting good leverage in those situations.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
I think it would be better to improve on your balance, stance or whatever it is that prevents you from getting good leverage in those situations.
How does one improve their balance?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian55
How does one improve their balance?
In a boxing specific situation I think the best is to shadowbox, spar a lot, etc. I think not being able to get leverage simply means you're not in a position to punch. You could be reaching forward, perhaps your feet are too close together, it's hard to tell over tha interwebz.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

All punches thrown whether it's in close, mid, or long range are all thrown with proper technique (aka legs, hips, shoulders, arms). Any normal "arm punches" thrown are a waste of energy and won't accomplish anything other than hurting yourself.
I don't know how you can compare arm punches to Barrera because he never throws arm punches, first time beginners throw arm punches.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
All punches thrown whether it's in close, mid, or long range are all thrown with proper technique (aka legs, hips, shoulders, arms). Any normal "arm punches" thrown are a waste of energy and won't accomplish anything other than hurting yourself.
I don't know how you can compare arm punches to Barrera because he never throws arm punches, first time beginners throw arm punches.
Mayweather and whitaker is/was very much into arm punches. They focused more on speed and timing than actually trying to Ko there opponent. Not all fighter can be the one punch Ko fighter, with power shots coming, that isnt a game that everyone can win at.

I guess it depends on your definition of arm punches, maybe shoulder punches is a better term.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

What Mayweather throws are not arm punches. He doesn't completely commit to each and every punch he throws, that would be an extremely stupid thing to do.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
What Mayweather throws are not arm punches. He doesn't completely commit to each and every punch he throws, that would be an extremely stupid thing to do.
Yeah, Ive heard plenty of commentators and other people refer to his lack of commiting as arm punches. It depends on your definition of arm punches.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

In that light I do not understand your question. He does use his body in the punch, but he does not fully commit by throwing all out. How would biceps and triceps training aid in using less strength. Well anyway my answer to the original question would be no. In no way would that benefit you in varying your punching power.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
In that light I do not understand your question. He does use his body in the punch, but he does not fully commit by throwing all out. How would biceps and triceps training aid in using less strength. Well anyway my answer to the original question would be no. In no way would that benefit you in varying your punching power.
Well my original question was geared towards dirty boxing in close quarters, and inside fluries. I have fairly long, skinny arms so it seems like I personally have trouble with it those things. You were right in that hard sparring is a useful tool to figure how it all comes together, figuring out your advantages and disadvantages.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Simply turn your waist in with the punch. It won't be as powerful as a punch that starts all the way down in your toes but it will be a lot more powerful than a froggy punch.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you're looking to weight lift to increase your power, squat, deadlift, power clean and press, benchpress and wristcurls might be the way to go.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
BEER:30

Why not spend the time and energy on figuring out how to fight without arm punching in the first place?
BEER:30 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
If you're looking to weight lift to increase your power, squat, deadlift, power clean and press, benchpress and wristcurls might be the way to go.
I do deadlift, hit the heavybag, pull ups all that, and plyometric sledgehammers. Benchpresses target the pectoral muscles so I dont see how that help with punching power.

Wristcurls, well that might help prevent your wrist from being injured while punching but I dont see how that has anything to do with Punching Power.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #15
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

to work on balance...do exercises on just one leg. even just standing on one leg for a long amount of time might do the trick for some. depends how advanced u r
JMonster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing