Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default The Fighting Marine V The California Grizzly Bear

Gene Tunney. The ice cold ,cerebral boxer,fast feet, rapid fire jab ,quick ,accurate right cross.Never beaten at heavy only floored once, by ATG puncher Dempsey.

Versus
Jim Jeffries.The Mastodon, a crouching beast,impervious to punishment,a man who walked through the best that hitters , Fitz ,Sharkey ,and Choynsky could throw at him.
Possessor of a booming right hand ,and a rib breaking left,a chin made of concrete, and, abounding stamina.

15rds to a decision.Who ? And, How?[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168
Default Re: The Fighting Marine V The California Grizzly Bear

I like Tunney here.

Tunney was such an excellent reactive fighter, with great footwork. If he is hurt by Jeffries, I do not think Jeffries would get a chance to follow up. Tunney would outpoint him solidly most of the way. IMO Tunney came into his own more at heavyweight, than earlier in his career.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

In my opinion, Tunney would have outboxed Jeffries for a points victory.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
EleventhHour
Got Dat Black & Gold Soul
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2501

Tunney would have outboxed him, I think. This fight would be all about footwork.
EleventhHour is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tunney over the 15 route while being shaken badly on several occasions. Over the 25 rounds Sharkey and Jeffries went-I think Jeff might have stopped him late.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tunney would win every round and probably stop him in the 10th to 13th. Too smart, too fast, too sharp with great footwork, and when his hands were right, excellent power.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Tunney by a Close and rugged UD
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Doc Dynamo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Tunney by UD.

If an over the hill Corbett could frustrate Jeffries for 20 rounds, Tunney could befuddle him for 15.
Doc Dynamo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Seven posters responded to this thread all voted for Tunney,from an easy u dec ,close u dec ,to late stoppage!

I scheduled it for 15 rds.

If it had been over 20 rds, does anyone think the result might have been different?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Seven posters responded to this thread all voted for Tunney,from an easy u dec ,close u dec ,to late stoppage!

I scheduled it for 15 rds.

If it had been over 20 rds, does anyone think the result might have been different?
The longer the distance the better for Jeffries imo. Over 15 I would favour Tunney too but only slightly. Over 20 I'd start to favour Jeffries. Tunney was a very good and beautiful boxer but I think he is going from underrated to overrated.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod hi View Post
The longer the distance the better for Jeffries imo. Over 15 I would favour Tunney too but only slightly. Over 20 I'd start to favour Jeffries. Tunney was a very good and beautiful boxer but I think he is going from underrated to overrated.
Tunney isn't over rated. I think he would decision Louis and Marciano.

As a boxer, Tunney wasn't quite as quick or athletic as Jim Corbett, but he was fleet footed for sure, and hit a little harder than Corbett did.

A fighter had to have some reach and explosiveness in his feet to catch up to Tunney. Jeffries was quick on his feet for a big man, and had decent range.

The match might come down to can Tunney take Jeffries shots to the head and body. I think Jeffries would score a late round TKO.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Tunney isn't over rated. I think he would decision Louis and Marciano.

As a boxer, Tunney wasn't quite as quick or athletic as Jim Corbett, but he was fleet footed for sure, and hit a little harder than Corbett did.

A fighter had to have some reach and explosiveness in his feet to catch up to Tunney. Jeffries was quick on his feet for a big man, and had decent range.

The match might come down to can Tunney take Jeffries shots to the head and body. I think Jeffries would score a late round TKO.
I didn't say he is, I said he is going to beeing overrated. Tunney was a very good boxer, I agree he was a harder puncher and a better fighter overall than Corbett. I don't think he should be favoured over either Louis or Marciano but I give him a very good chance against Louis.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In 15 I like Tunney by decision. No sure thing, though.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

While I agree that Tunney probably hit harder than Corbett, I still don't think Gene's power poses any problem for Jeffries.

In a 15 round fight, Gene would be boxing and moving and Jim would be chasing and attacking. I think Gene would make Jim look foolish more than once and I think Jeffries would hurt Tunney more than once. The question is could the Jeffries hurt slow Gene down enough for Jeffries to get the late stoppage or decision win?

It's a tough call for me, but I'm going with Jeffries to win 2 out of 3 in a trilogy: Tunney WU15, Jeffries WS15, Jeffries TKO12.
djanders is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Over the distance of 15 rounds, I favor Tunney. He would employ his strengths, those of fast, effective footwork, a fast, accurate punches, with a harder than advertised straight right hand, just to keep Jeffries honest...but most of all, that ice cold focus, discipline and strategic boxing mind would make Tunney..an early "modern" type fighter a good bet to defeat Jeffries on points. Tunney would be smart enough to forsake the urge to lapse into tests of strength and slugging with Jeff...and also Jeffries would'nt present the type of danger that Tunney almost succumbed to against Dempsey in that 7th round of the Long Count fight..meaning that Jeffries didn't have the explosive, sudden, almost "fast twitch" type of power that saw Dempsey instantly follow up that big, initial left hook with six or seven power shots that overwhelmed and decked Tunney. Jeffries was more of a heavier, clubbing type puncher, and I believe Tunney would never put himself in position to be either clocked by Jeff, or get tasered by a rapid fire flurry like he did against Dempsey. Gene's chin would stand him in good stead vs Jeff throughout a 15 round distance. Now the matter of a bout scheduled for 20 rounds or more would nayurally favor Jefferies, who was more accustomed to the long haul than was Tunney...it would be a case of endurance, and Jeffries would have the advantage there, especially stylewise..as the lumbering bear would eventually overtake a guy that has to move, move, move like Tunney. He would probably catch a tired, run down Tunney by the 20th or so.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum