Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Need advice on different ways to slip straight punches

I started out a boxing gym almost two weeks ago, and the trainer there has taught me to slip the straight punches in a way I'm not very comfortable with. What he asks us to do in order to evade the jab is to slip to the outside, and bring your left shoulder up while dropping your left hand, and holding it in the "L" position around your chest. He says that the benefit to this is that it's easier to throw the hook under his jab if you have too. The problem I have with this move is that even though my chin is protected by the shoulder, much of my cheek and all of my eyes are exposed and this makes me very uncomfortable (maybe because I have an eye condition and don't wanna get popped there, and maybe because I feel it's counter intuitive to drop my hands as a boxer).

When slipping the right hand, we do the same thing and really turn the body so that the right shoulder can protect the chin. This movement alone seems to take much more time, and again I'm not comfortable with having so much of my face exposed.

I feel I would rather slip those punches with both hands protecting my face, similar to the way this guy demonstrates it in his videos.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_nAcQKR5I&feature=related[/ame]

What are your thoughts, and what are the pros and cons of each? Which way do you prefer to slip the 1,2? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: Need advice on different ways to slip straight punches

I don't slip 1,2's...I block them with my face!
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibit View Post
I don't slip 1,2's...I block them with my face!
hmm...have I fought you before
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590

to slip straight punches move your head from left to right. But dont wait until your opponent punches to move your head, already have head movement before your opponent punches.

After you throw your own 1,2 combination slip or bob straight away and you will slip any punches coming back

and it also comes down to hand eyes co-ordination. Once your eyes sees the punches better slipping becomes easier
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistStudent View Post
hmm...have I fought you before
the better question is...

has my face met your fists?
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

^Yes, the pivot feels necessary but can someone please comment on their gaurd position.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

I prefer to slip with a foot pivot and both hands up , i dont have any problems countering with both hands up. I think as a beginner its generally the best policy!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
I prefer to slip with a foot pivot and both hands up , i dont have any problems countering with both hands up. I think as a beginner its generally the best policy!
While I agree that a high guard is best for beginners, it sometimes feel sluggish to me. When I slip to the outside of a left jab from an orthodox stance, I do try to keep my hands up but I don't always do the foot pivot. I sometimes time the slip with a step to the right and that way I also avoid getting hits from my opponent's right hand.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

this is oversimplifying it a tadd lol but if you didnt get hit and you were in a position to counter and get shots off then you did it right! I wouldnt think there is a strictly "correct" way of doing it.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

First of all, if you're talking about slipping a 1-2 combination, forget about it. It's damn near impossible unless he's very bad and you're very good.

When I slip a jab to the outside, I tend to drop my hand like your coach said...because if there's a straight right to the body coming behind that jab and I have both hands up, it's going to break my ribs.

When you slip, sometimes you want to step into the other guy as well. This can prevent you from getting hit in the head, and your arm dropping down covers your body.

If you're slipping the jab to the inside, then you want both hands up. Better position to nail him with a hook and to block your face and body.

Basically, if I'm slipping right, my left hand is going to drop, and if I slip left, I'm keeping my earmuffs on. But as I found out in my fight yesterday, I'm no defensive master or anything, so do what works for you.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks so much for the advice guys. For now I believe I will keep both hands up going to the inside and out but maybe later, I will try doing it the other way if I feels more comfortable.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #12
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

good idea, within reason and within the rules obv lol anything is acceptable in boxing as long as it works ! (well and efficiently too!)

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing