Dirrell T/KO 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Abraham-Dirrell?

This is a real pick 'em in my opinion. I've got it down to either Dirrell on points or Abraham by stoppage.

We all know that Abraham gives rounds away, he can spend entire rounds just on the defensive and throwing very little back in return. We also know that Dirrell has good fundamentals and is blessed with speed.

Dirrell will have home advantage but it will be interesting to see how he fights.

He had an extremely negative (but successful IMO) strategy against Froch. Now, he must realise that AA punches a LOT harder than Froch but obviously has a lower output. Does he adopt a slightly more aggressive gameplan this time round or should Dirrell try and follow what he did against Froch and make Abraham chase him? But if Dirrell is a bit more adventerous this time round then Abraham has a greater chance of catching him with a big shot.

We must also consider that whilst King Arthur has a much lower output, he also has a very good defence. So it's unlikely Dirrell will be peppering him with quick shots like he did Froch but activity should be enough to win rounds on the judges cards.

Who are you picking?

My post was just full of waffling and stating the obvious. I'm waiting to hear what everyone else thinks.

Does anyone think this will be a really easy fight for either fighter?
ishy is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Abraham-Dirrell?

Definitely not an 'easy' win either way.

As i said in another thread, Dirrell looks a bad stylistic match for AA and I'm all about styles, but i always say its not what style you bring to the ring but what attributes and how well you execute that style. Normally AA's style lends itself to getting outworked and struggling with speed. However AA has the attributes to pull of that style i.e the accuracy, stiff jab, counter punching and the big punch.

Dirrell is athletic, but is too sloppy and doesn't carry enough pop nor the workrate to win this fight, he can find spots to counter AA with his speed, but AA is so damn strong and transitions from defence to offence really well. I think a knockout is possible here at anytime in the fight, Dirrell's defence is predicated on athleticism, but he's just a poor mans somebody to keep off an explosive guy with technique to boot. I see Dirrell getting cought with too many big shots here, AA might start slow but he has that 'game changer' to change the course of the fight or put Dirrell to sleep at anytime. Just to much 'man' for Andre.

The only guy that gives AA trouble in this tournemant is Ward, thats the fight where everyone is sitting there amazed at seeing AA so flustered for the first time. You've gotta counter AA effectively on the inside with those 6 inch short punches ala Hopkins, off set is timing, not let him get comfortable as he fights of muscle memory by not giving him the same look twice.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I think AA will catch up with Dirrell, simple as that.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

I agree Gaz.

Put up a poll Ish.

I'm actually phening like a crack addict waiting for this fight, How long before i get Losfers pick? he's usually on the money.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I think AA will catch up with Dirrell, simple as that.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Camm
Journeyman

vCash: 75

Dirrell with the upset for me if he has learned from the Froch fight. Depends on that & also how good his chin is right enough.

I think AA is a VERY good fighter but IMO has recieved a bit too much hype following the Taylor fight & Froch got far more disrespect than he deserved. I think Dirrell could prove to be really, really good.

Anyways, think it could be a stinker of a defensive fight but the outcome is very interesting- ill be watching
Camm is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

AA can easily outpoint Dirrell, if he can't stop him.

AA did not give many rounds away against Taylor, and taylor early on in a fight is by far superior to Dirrell.

Just look at JT and Dirrell's sucess at outboxing Froch.

AA is far more skilled than Dirrell.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
jdawg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camm View Post
Dirrell with the upset for me if he has learned from the Froch fight. Depends on that & also how good his chin is right enough.

I think AA is a VERY good fighter but IMO has recieved a bit too much hype following the Taylor fight & Froch got far more disrespect than he deserved. I think Dirrell could prove to be really, really good.

Anyways, think it could be a stinker of a defensive fight but the outcome is very interesting- ill be watching
I agree this fight could be an insomnia cure man. I mean if clottey was putting on the ear muffs v pacman then AA throws on the wooley hat, thermal pants and scarf just to be sure hes safe when he fights. Dont get me wrong he's got devastating power and hes tediously effective and good at what he does. Strangely dirrell has a chance, he's probably a bit quicker than Taylor, has showed good hand-speed and educated shots that will give him some success. But negative attitude, especially if he reckons home-field advantage will be on his side cld be his downfall again. I just think AA will be able to land more quality shots than Froch managed, particularly in the later rounds for him to win a close but definite decision.
jdawg is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Scottish
Khan(t) take a punch
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 672

AA by KO late possibly when behind on all 3 cards.
Scottish is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I give Dirrell a reasonable chance.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Dirrell makes to many mistakes for me, Froch isn't the best at cutting the ring off and cornered Dirrell a good few times. Abraham should catch up with him late on but wouldn't be surprised if Dirrell managed to survive and get the points win.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
I agree this fight could be an insomnia cure man. I mean if clottey was putting on the ear muffs v pacman then AA throws on the wooley hat, thermal pants and scarf just to be sure hes safe when he fights. Dont get me wrong he's got devastating power and hes tediously effective and good at what he does. Strangely dirrell has a chance, he's probably a bit quicker than Taylor, has showed good hand-speed and educated shots that will give him some success. But negative attitude, especially if he reckons home-field advantage will be on his side cld be his downfall again. I just think AA will be able to land more quality shots than Froch managed, particularly in the later rounds for him to win a close but definite decision.
Bad/lazy comparison, Clottey and Abraham have nothing in common apart from putting on the headphones. Its like comparing Camacho and Malignaggi, similar style but we can see who's the 'poor man' i get annoyed when people compare Clottey and Winky for example. This is why i said its not the style a fighter brings, but how well he executes.

Clottey is notorious for not finishing off his meal and hiding behind that shell in survive mode, AA is much more effective, explosive, better counter puncher, cuts the ring off better, better footwork, transitions from defence to offence and actually has purpose for that shell other then shelter.

I disagree that this fight will be a snoozfest, Froch was trying to bulldoze Dirrell and falling into him which made those spoiling tactics even more effective, AA knows how to measure you and create distance. Dirrell will hold less in this fight as he knows that AA throws out of the pocket power shots really well, he will try and pepper his guard and get on his bike but won't have enough slickness or stamina to play keep away.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2556

im going for dirrell for this one!! thats all i have to say, please quote me when dirrell wins, that is all i want from you.
Carnage is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
jdawg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Bad/lazy comparison, Clottey and Abraham have nothing in common apart from putting on the headphones. Its like comparing Camacho and Malignaggi, similar style but we can see who's the 'poor man' i get annoyed when people compare Clottey and Winky for example. This is why i said its not the style a fighter brings, but how well he executes.

Clottey is notorious for not finishing off his meal and hiding behind that shell in survive mode, AA is much more effective, explosive, better counter puncher, cuts the ring off better, better footwork, transitions from defence to offence and actually has purpose for that shell other then inactivity.

I disagree that this fight will be a snoozfest, Froch was trying to bulldoze Dirrell and falling into him which made those spoiling tactics even more effective, AA knows how to measure you and create distance. Dirrell will hold less in this fight as he knows that AA throws out of the pocket power shots really well, he will try and pepper his guard and get on his bike but won't have enough slickness or stamina to play keep away.
Not bad/lazy you just over-analyzed a sodding joke fool. Did i continue to compare clottey/abraham?? noooooooo theres no ****in need to chalk and cheese, was just making light of the fact both spend alot of fights with their gloves up to their hair-line.

Froch is an aggressive fighter that searches out his opponents and yea AA waits for the opportunities and explodes in short burst. But if they dont arise ala dirrell running like in the froch fight there wont be many openings for AA to exploit and therefore potentially.

If u read all my post instead of the JOKE (lighten up) you'l see i said abrahams style is effective but it can be frustrating watching. Direll will have the same sparse success as JT, he's got a better tank than Jermain and showed glimpes of educated shots but not enough to penetrate the tough shell to take the win
jdawg is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #15
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Dirrell points.
Grant1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum