Dirrell T/KO 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #31
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Abraham-Dirrell?

Dirrel has all the tools but he just isn't comfortable going forward for consistent spells, he just instinctively retreats, which makes him predictable and easy to read for someone like Abraham. To beat Abraham you would need to able to mix it up like Ward and be comfortable up close and from distance. So you would think Abraham would catch up to Dirrell at some point and do some damage.

Still not completely sure about this fight however and wouldn't be completely surprised if Dirrell pulled it off as he might be more brazen in the US.

Last edited by Bonavena25; 03-23-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #32
cjgloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: Do you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth!
vCash: 223

To be honest I do like Dirrel, his fight with Froch wasn't too good but you can't deny that the lad has serious talent, his speed, footwork and overall athleticism could see him becoming a future champion know doubt.

Abraham is another fighter I like and the heart he showed when he broke his jaw has got to be one of the most amazing scenes in boxing, brutal yes but inspiring for sure. I'm looking forward to see how Dirrel handles the high guard defense and the explosiveness power of Abraham when hes hunting him down, watching Dirrel use his fast combos then getting out of way with his brilliant footwork.

I can't really split them, AA will struggle to win on points but the knockout could in reality happen, I still think Dirrels chin is in question and even if it turns out to be steady AA's power is massive. Either AA by stoppage or Dirrel on points can't choose, this is deffo a fight for the neutral fans!
cjgloves is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #33
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

I like this fight stylistically and have been leaning towards a Dirrell decision since the Froch fight. But some interesting points made on this thread which are making me think twice. I'll give a brief summary of how I thought it would go, then my reaction to others...

AA's nightmare of an opponent in terms of style would be someone quick (both with hands and feet) and accurate. This could have been Taylor but he's started to look a bit shop worn of late (taking nothing away from AA, great performance). So my thinking, initially, was that Dirrell as a younger, fresher and quicker version of Taylor could probably stay out of range against Arthur. My main concerns for Dirrell were that if he gets caught, it's lights out - end of story and whether he would be active enough to take rounds. I was thinking that he's probably learnt from the Froch fight that he needs to throw more shots at this level to get rounds in the bag and as such, he would probably take more rounds than AA while still being quick enough to stay out the way.

I had considered that AA is much better than Froch in terms of ring movement and would probably be able to corner Dirrell more than Froch could, but I for me, Direll would do everything possible to get out of the way.

What is making me think twice at the moment is the reference to Dirrell being 'sloppy'. This is true and not something I had thought long enough about. Dirrell was caught a couple of times by Froch and Abraham's hands are much quicker. He moves quickly but clumsily. AA will be able to corner him and is Dirrell's defence on the inside anything of note?

Dirrell obviously doesnt hit anywhere near as hard as someone like Miranda so AA wont be troubled by Dirrell's power. So AA could be able to catch his man as Dirrell tries to make distance, as he corners Dirrell or on the counter as Dirrell comes in.

That being said, I'm still edging towards my initial prediction. And I'll go for Dirrell on points.

Tough one to call though and I'm intrigued by the match up.
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #34
venusdiablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
i bought the dirrel froch fight on ur website to watch on my laptop. im now a sky viewer do i need to do anything else or can i just order through my TV or whatever. thanks
You will need to register if you are watching it on your television.

If you have a phone line connection to your Sky box you can do it all with remote control.

If you don't have a phone line you will have to give Primetime Tv a call and then they can activate the channel for you through the satellite - 0871 200 4444
venusdiablo is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #35
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Bad/lazy comparison, Clottey and Abraham have nothing in common apart from putting on the headphones. Its like comparing Camacho and Malignaggi, similar style but we can see who's the 'poor man' i get annoyed when people compare Clottey and Winky for example. This is why i said its not the style a fighter brings, but how well he executes.

Clottey is notorious for not finishing off his meal and hiding behind that shell in survive mode, AA is much more effective, explosive, better counter puncher, cuts the ring off better, better footwork, transitions from defence to offence and actually has purpose for that shell other then shelter.

I disagree that this fight will be a snoozfest, Froch was trying to bulldoze Dirrell and falling into him which made those spoiling tactics even more effective, AA knows how to measure you and create distance. Dirrell will hold less in this fight as he knows that AA throws out of the pocket power shots really well, he will try and pepper his guard and get on his bike but won't have enough slickness or stamina to play keep away.
Like that post.

The obvious assessment is that Abraham's style is made for Dirrell but I think it will be the other way around.

Dirrell won't know what to do with Abraham IMO, he won't be comfortable being the aggressor and Abraham will crank it up slowly but surely. I fancy a late stoppage or points Abraham.
trotter is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #36
rainmaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't really like Dirrell but I think he will get this on points. He will move and move all night, get off some counters and steal rounds. AA will not land often enough, and Dirrell won't run out of gas like Taylor did. Taylor tends to fade down the stretch, and that gave AA ample chance to begin to land. That won't happen with Dirrell, the guy is slippery and seems to get stronger deeper in to the fight.

I think you will see a little more assertiveness from Dirrell this time, and I think he comes through on points. AA has nothing but a punchers chance in this one, but I'm still backing Dirrell to get the decision.
rainmaker is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
I don't really like Dirrell but I think he will get this on points. He will move and move all night, get off some counters and steal rounds. AA will not land often enough, and Dirrell won't run out of gas like Taylor did. Taylor tends to fade down the stretch, and that gave AA ample chance to begin to land. That won't happen with Dirrell, the guy is slippery and seems to get stronger deeper in to the fight.
Taylor 'fading down the stretch' was irrelevant though. Abraham was beating him through eight rounds.

Quote:
I think you will see a little more assertiveness from Dirrell this time
He needs to, but don't see any reason to think he will. This is a guy who spoiled and retreated against journeymen. He might suddenly become more assertive against the most fearsome puncher he's faced, but can't see any reason to expect it.

I think it's a very facile argument to see this as a good stylistic match up for Dirrell and I think what most of the people arguing that actually mean is that it might be a good stylistic match up for the boxer that they see the potential in him to become, but that he's never come close to proving he is.In many ways Abraham actually represents Dirrell's worst nightmare. That's why Abraham must be seen as the favourite. Abraham can win by being the fighter we have seen before. Dirrell can win if he can fight a disciplined fight that we have never seen him fight, by asserting himself in a way that we have never seen him do and by showing more balls than he's even hinted at previously.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #38
rainmaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post
Taylor 'fading down the stretch' was irrelevant though. Abraham was beating him through eight rounds.

He needs to, but don't see any reason to think he will. This is a guy who spoiled and retreated against journeymen. He might suddenly become more assertive against the most fearsome puncher he's faced, but can't see any reason to expect it.

I think it's a very facile argument to see this as a good stylistic match up for Dirrell and I think what most of the people arguing that actually mean is that it might be a good stylistic match up for the boxer that they see the potential in him to become, but that he's never come close to proving he is.In many ways Abraham actually represents Dirrell's worst nightmare. That's why Abraham must be seen as the favourite. Abraham can win by being the fighter we have seen before. Dirrell can win if he can fight a disciplined fight that we have never seen him fight, by asserting himself in a way that we have never seen him do and by showing more balls than he's even hinted at previously.
I actually agree with those points, and I am hoping for an AA win. But I just don't feel AA will land enough punches. He will stay behind his guard an awful lot. Dirrell will pot shot him, and although probably get blocked, they will probably win him rounds, since AA won't have the punch output I know neither does Dirrell) but he does let fly sometimes and get out of the way. Yes he will be aware of AA power, but Froch had a dig as well, but Dirrell moved and moved and although I didn't like his tactics it's effective. Provided he works a little more than just run.

Would like to see AA win, and I think he can, but that would mean Dirrell opens up and exchanges with AA and that's not gonna happen. Dirrell will hit a lot of gloves and arms, AA will not hit much at all.

Just the way I see it.
rainmaker is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #39
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Non-tired Taylor>>>>>Froch
Froch>Dirrell
Abraham>>>Non-tired Taylor

People are claiming Dirrell can potshot AA and win that way, but Froch and Abraham are equally plodding. Abraham appears better at everything else.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #40
theuppercut
Blackpudding supper
ESB Addict

Dirrell got through Froch's sloppy defence with some good shots and never really hurt him or had him in major trouble. Dirrell will have to pot shot and run all night to win this one. Abraham will get to him at some point and HE will hurt him. Abraham by stoppage before the last.
theuppercut is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #41
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

Dirrell's chin looked pretty good against Froch. Never looked remotely in trouble at any point in the fight.

I think this fight is a cert to go on points.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #42
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Dirrell has suffered a couple of knockdowns in his career.

Not bad knockdowns, but they were against journeymen.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #43
David the
Fat Bastard
ESB Jr Member

Dirrell by very scrappy SD,only because I have this feeling Abraham will not like fighting a big fight away from home,my crap theory goes like this, most german(wether german or east european) based fighters labour through a points win in usually super safety first unspectacular style safe crowd behind me, in the knowlegde that the jobs done, look at Maske, and to an extent Klitschko,Abraham to be fair is one of the best German fighters for a long time,but I think there is a comfort zone/home advantage built in theory for german based fighters if you like the crowd carries them home and as good as he is Abraham will miss this.
David the is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #44
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post

True, and Abraham has more pop than Froch it seems. However a 'switched on' Dirrel i.e holding and scrapping like a girl, should be able to last the distance.

This is all on the proviso that Abraham that slowly builds up momentum, like in nearly all his previous fights. If he starts like a train and finishes like a locomotiv, then Dirrel could very well get KTFO.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #45
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post

Are you sure? Who was that against?

I was always under the impression he hasn't been down thus far.
TheUzi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum