Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #16
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Wow. Got a bit defensive there....

Sources please. I want to see where scientists have proven that lifting weights 3 times a week causes boxers to "burnout and deplete speed and power". Thanks.
i just dont like being patronised....

Maximal strength provides a solid foundation for explosive training techniques.too much on max strength however will quickly lead to burnout, both physical and mental. the central nervous system needs time to recover from such intense training sessions. frequent training with maximal loads may compromise restoration causing decreased performance and an increased risk of overtraining and injury (medvedyev, 1986)

A fatiqued central nervous system leads to decreased coordination and reduced power output (bompa,2003)

you can only add weight for so long before burnout, you must include time for restoration,which means including back-off weeks where loads are reduced. research has shown that optimal progress occurs when you alternate periods of increased loading with periods of decreased loading.
continual increases in weight can lead to overtraining, lack of motivation and a higher risk of injury (Siff, 2003a)

thats all im bothered to type up at the moment, but if your still unconvinced, i can get more ..
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #17
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Wow. Got a bit defensive there....

Sources please. I want to see where scientists have proven that lifting weights 3 times a week causes boxers to "burnout and deplete speed and power". Thanks.
not 'weights' , maximal loads..
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #18
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgloves View Post
Ah ok then thanks, from what I have read so far the SS program is to give you that base then you work from it every week increasing. I have read abit about how you need to keep switching workouts/exercises so you can keep seeing gains. BTW what do you mean cant apply it quickly enough? The weight lifting won't slow me down, I thought it might even make me speed up if I'm building that explosiveness. My coach tonight said he will bring me books on training which he used to pass his courses. So hopefully I'll have a better understanding on everything.



I got my ABA forms and I'm ringing the doctor tomorrow to book a medical. So soon I will be an amateur and will need to train harder, thats why I'm looking for strength workouts.



As you can see on my reply to Relentless I'll be boxing 3 times a week from now on, and this SS program is 3 times a week also. How would you go about managing that? Because I'll need to take into consideration recovery time, over training.
not being able to apply it quickly enough i mean working with maximal loads wont get you rective strength, but as you say you are working with plyometrics so, just dont make maximal strength training the priority... for the moment you should work on it for a few weeks to build a foundation,
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #19
mush
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 94
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

The work out is based on maximal strength due to the low rep range.
If your going to do it,it should be 80% to 90% of your one rep max (the amount you can lift once)with 2 to 3 mins rest between sets to allow your body to fully recover and 1 to 2 days rest in between to allow your body enouhg time to recover.
Also warm up with a lighter weight then increase to 80% and add small amounts of weight each set till you reach 90% 1 rep max.
If you box mon,wed,fri do this tuesday,thursday.
Alternate with a power workout every second week by increasing reps to 6 still 2 to 3 mins rest between sets and lowering the weight to 50% to 60% 1rep max and expolde when lifting the weights, move them as quick as possible on the press then lower them at normal pace.
You will gain strength and speed and will not negetively affect your boxing,
when you are fitter then add plyos to your work out.
Also add a few sets of clap push ups in on power days to give you more explosive punches
mush is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
cjgloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Do you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth!
Posts: 550
vCash: 223
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCKET SHOT View Post
not being able to apply it quickly enough i mean working with maximal loads wont get you rective strength, but as you say you are working with plyometrics so, just dont make maximal strength training the priority... for the moment you should work on it for a few weeks to build a foundation,

I understand and I know what you mean by lifting all the time with the max you can handle leading to burnout. I guess I'll start this SS program then because everyone in here seems to think it's a good way to at least start building some sort of strength conditioning. Thanks alot.
cjgloves is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #21
cjgloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Do you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth!
Posts: 550
vCash: 223
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
The work out is based on maximal strength due to the low rep range.
If your going to do it,it should be 80% to 90% of your one rep max (the amount you can lift once)with 2 to 3 mins rest between sets to allow your body to fully recover and 1 to 2 days rest in between to allow your body enouhg time to recover.
Also warm up with a lighter weight then increase to 80% and add small amounts of weight each set till you reach 90% 1 rep max.
If you box mon,wed,fri do this tuesday,thursday.
Alternate with a power workout every second week by increasing reps to 6 still 2 to 3 mins rest between sets and lowering the weight to 50% to 60% 1rep max and expolde when lifting the weights, move them as quick as possible on the press then lower them at normal pace.
You will gain strength and speed and will not negetively affect your boxing,
when you are fitter then add plyos to your work out.
Also add a few sets of clap push ups in on power days to give you more explosive punches
Good info thanks. As you said the body needs one/two days to recover so if i do as you said and box on the 3 days then the days in between do the SS program will be boxing in the days between hinder my recovery? Also like the sound of the power workout building the speed and explosiveness is important to boxing after all so I'll have to add that in. I do clap push ups as part of the boxing gyms circuit which everyone has to do, I think after doing the SS program I'll be able to do them better, more.
cjgloves is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #22
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgloves View Post
I understand and I know what you mean by lifting all the time with the max you can handle leading to burnout. I guess I'll start this SS program then because everyone in here seems to think it's a good way to at least start building some sort of strength conditioning. Thanks alot.
cool, look into periodisation also..
i use a conjugate model of periodisation ex... one day max strength , next day, explosive power work, next day endurance etc ..... all depends what what your goals are..
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #23
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCKET SHOT View Post
not 'weights' , maximal loads..
forget scientific studies, i've never known a boxer who strength trains 3 times a week.

Bernard Hopkins was doing 2 strength sessions a week with mackie shilstone but even then one of them was a plyometric/dynamic strength training session.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #24
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
forget scientific studies, i've never known a boxer who strength trains 3 times a week.

Bernard Hopkins was doing 2 strength sessions a week with mackie shilstone but even then one of them was a plyometric/dynamic strength training session.
the guy said he was gonna follow the routine.. which stated 3 times a week..

as for hopkins, thats not excessive max load training, alot of it was plyometrics
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
mush
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 94
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rippetoe's Starting Strength, Advisable for boxing?

boxing wont hinder revovery only lifting useing the same body parts will eg squats monday ,tuesday also keep proper form through out the lifts to minimise injury
mush is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013