Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #31
duran duran
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tyson on beating Marciano: "You have to press him."

prime tyson would have murdered marciano too big too fast too skilfull marciano only weighed just over 13 stone at his peak he wouldnt of had a hope in hell against tyson
duran duran is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #32
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Tyson has a brilliant understanding of boxing, its history & fighters styles.

I think Tyson would KO Rocky, personally.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #33
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
only dempsey is more overrated at heavy than marciano.tyson has every advantage there is over rocky and would ruin him.
I think Tyson is perhaps the most overrated of the heavyweights.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #34
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
Marciano is so overrated its ridiculous. Cracks me up that people think Marciano would beat Tyson, or Frazier, or Quarry for that matter. Marciano feasted on one of the weakest HW divisions in history. His marquee wins were all older and past their primes and often times above their best weight. You say that moving into Marciano would play to Marcianos advantage. I say Marciano coming forward eating leather like he did would play to Tyson's. If Tyson could hit you he could hurt you. Marciano was there to be hit. If an ancient Joe Louis can break Marcianos nose and knock out his front teeth, and an old Charles can split his nose down the middle, I think a prime Tyson can stop Marciano and look impressive doing it.

i wouldnt go as far as you have but i agree. marciano has some of the worst defence there is and tyson with his speed and facing someone his size for a change would hit him almost at will. chuck in tyson ridiculous defence and counterpunching and it just all points to trouble for rocky imo.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #35
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
i wouldnt go as far as you have but i agree. marciano has some of the worst defence there is and tyson with his speed and facing someone his size for a change would hit him almost at will. chuck in tyson ridiculous defence and counterpunching and it just all points to trouble for rocky imo.
Tyson's defence is overrated. He took punches well, and took some flush in the face when he was actually in with fighters who were up for a fight. He came in leaning forward a lot, was open to uppercuts, and was often off-balance.
Every fighter gets hit though, and Tyson had a great chin, I'm just saying he wasn't as slick as some people make out.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #36
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Tyson's defence is overrated. He took punches well, and took some flush in the face when he was actually in with fighters who were up for a fight. He came in leaning forward a lot, was open to uppercuts, and was often off-balance.
Every fighter gets hit though, and Tyson had a great chin, I'm just saying he wasn't as slick as some people make out.
I agree. He had good highlight reel moments like the Tillis fight where he nearly dips to the floor to slip a combo, however in that same fight he walks into several uppercuts he should have saw coming. He was very sporadic.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #37
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
I agree. He had good highlight reel moments like the Tillis fight where he nearly dips to the floor to slip a combo, however in that same fight he walks into several uppercuts he should have saw coming. He was very sporadic.
Yeah, the Reggie Gross one is another one. Gross catches him with one or two then just goes silly and starts throwing a lot of telegraphed wild shots. Tyson did some impressive ducking and diving but some of it he definitely wouldn't get away with against a good fighter, and he was often off-balance.
Pinklon Thomas hit Tyson with fairly slow jabs and one-twos but Thomas had no punching power by then so no one really noticed.

The idea that Tyson did everything perfect all the time in his prime, and showed no bad habits until Rooney was gone, is a myth. Even Rooney was saying Tyson would lose concentration and plod in with one wild punch at a time, and that's back in 1987. Tyson was a work in progress then he just imploded.
People tend to forget this and judge him off of the highlight reels or his 91 seconds against Spinks.

Tyson was way too good for the field in 1986 - '89 though, I'll give him that. But even at his absolute best I think Douglas might have brought him a beating. Douglas just exploited Tyson's flaws. A better version of Tyson would show those flaws less, but with Douglas having the courage he had that night he might still have beaten Tyson.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #38
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
good night Tyson
Not so sure, '86-'88 Tyson was an unprecedented combination of elusiveness and power. I could see him possibly just overwhelming The Rock with raw physicality in 3-4 rounds because that is honestly his only hope. Once the fight went past round 4 or so, Rock would NOT lose. He would frustrate and demoralize Tyson over the next 6-7 rounds until he finally puncuates his late surge with a rd 11 or 12 TKO.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #39
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Not so sure, '86-'88 Tyson was an unprecedented combination of elusiveness and power. I could see him possibly just overwhelming The Rock with raw physicality in 3-4 rounds because that is honestly his only hope. Once the fight went past round 4 or so, Rock would NOT lose. He would frustrate and demoralize Tyson over the next 6-7 rounds until he finally puncuates his late surge with a rd 11 or 12 TKO.
I disagree, but i like the use of the word punctuate
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #40
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tyson?...You mean the Tyson that was KO'd by Buster Douglas????...the one who was KO'd by a past his prime Holyfield?..the one who bit off a part of his ear to get DQ'd because he was getting his ass handed to him??...Tyson...the one who has NEVER
gotten off the canvas to come back and win??? Marciano beats Tyson on heart alone!!!
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #41
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
I disagree, but i like the use of the word punctuate
Sorry, my spelling gets kind of rough in some of my posts.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #42
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
Tyson?...You mean the Tyson that was KO'd by Buster Douglas????...the one who was KO'd by a past his prime Holyfield?..the one who bit off a part of his ear to get DQ'd because he was getting his ass handed to him??...Tyson...the one who has NEVER
gotten off the canvas to come back and win??? Marciano beats Tyson on heart alone!!!
That's the whole point, we're talking about a prime Tyson...'86-'88. That Tyson would be a test for any HW of any era...including the Klitschkos. His only issue was stamina due to asthma.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Sorry, my spelling gets kind of rough in some of my posts.
haha nooooo man! i didnt even notice the spelling mistake, dont be thinking im a grammar cop, i rate grammar cops on the level of rapists and paedophiles!

I just meant how it pretty much has the word 'punch' in it and signifies the ending of the sentence/fight
Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #44
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
he beat larry holmes' ass
Old 03-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #45
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano gets hammered....floored for the first time....cut in several places....blinded for 4
rounds....his vision is blurry.....behind on all scorecards...and then he throws the best right hand ever..and wins the title from Joe Walcott....Marciano in his second fight with Ezzard Charles in Sept.1954...get his nose split open DOWN TO THE BONE....bleeding like
a stuck pig.....Freddie Brown shoves everything he has into Marciano's nose to stop the bleeding..he can't...the fight might be stopped....The Rock storms out..KO's Charles..and keeps the title!!! Marciano had an iron will....he was tough mentally..something that Tyson was not!!! The Rock was a freak of nature...in his prime..put him in the ring with anyone!!!
RockyJim is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum