Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default why the hell isnt khan fighting yuri romanov???

I mean the guy is fighting earl for the british belt, when he could face romanov for the euro belt.

and considering that earl holds a rather recent win over romanov, it´s not like this will be a much tougher fight for him.

and since he wont make lightweight much longer, this fight would make sense instead of waiting.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: why the hell isnt khan fighting yuri romanov???

First of all Earl doesn't have a belt , Jon Thaxton is the British champ and imo a better fighter than Earl .

Second Romanov would be a much tougher fight than Earl .
Yuri was very inactive at the time of his fight with Earl , he lost the early rounds due to rust and grew as the fight went on . He rocked Earl badly on a few occasions and I think if he had been more active he would of stopped Earl . In the end I still had Romanov a 1 point winner .

Earl fought the fight of his live and had a good style to cope with Romanov , if you compare how the two dealt with slick fighters(using a fighter both have fought in Vanzie) then Romanov comes out much better .

Romanov dropped Vanzie 5 times on route to stopping him in 8 rounds , where as Earl fought him twice and won two controversial decisions .
Earl has more wear on him , his chin isn't that great and he isn't that much of a puncher either(usualy stopping people on accumulation) and he isn't the most accurate or slick fighter himself(as shown by him getting schooled by Burns) .

It makes sense fighting Earl now , it's a fight which Khan can win and win looking very very good(probably better than Katsidis did) . I very much doubt he'd beat Romanov though .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
First of all Earl doesn't have a belt , Jon Thaxton is the British champ and imo a better fighter than Earl .

Second Romanov would be a much tougher fight than Earl .
Yuri was very inactive at the time of his fight with Earl , he lost the early rounds due to rust and grew as the fight went on . He rocked Earl badly on a few occasions and I think if he had been more active he would of stopped Earl . In the end I still had Romanov a 1 point winner .

Earl fought the fight of his live and had a good style to cope with Romanov , if you compare how the two dealt with slick fighters(using a fighter both have fought in Vanzie) then Romanov comes out much better .

Romaov dropped Vanzie 5 times on route to stopping him in 8 rounds , where as Earl fought him twice and won two conttoversial decisions .
Earl has more wear on him , his chin isn't that great and he isn't that much of a puncher either(usualy stopping people on accumulation) and he isn't the most accurate or slick fighter himself(as shown by him getting schooled by Burns) .

It makes sense fighting Earl now , it's a fight which Khan can win and win looking very very good(probably better than Katsidis did) . I very much doubt he'd beat Romanov though .
really?? i didnt know that, just went by what boxrec said about earl and romanov

and you really think khan is so limited he cant even beat romanov??
bumdujour is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumdujour
really?? i didnt know that, just went by what boxrec said about earl and romanov

and you really think khan is so limited he cant even beat romanov??
Khan isn't limited at all , he's a fantastic boxer with blinding speed and good power . it's his chin that will let him down(just like the man in my avatar) .

Romanov is a very hard puncher(harder than his record indicates) and throws a laser like straight right hand . He's very similar to Tszyu in a lot of ways and the straight right hand seems the punch Khan is most open to . Any fighter that isn't Mayweather quick is going to have to eat at least a few of those right hands to beat Romanov and I just don't think Khan is going to be able to take Romanov's punches .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

I've watched several of Romanov's fights, and he is too good for Khan in my opinion. Amir's chin would simply shatter.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumdujour
I mean the guy is fighting earl for the british belt, when he could face romanov for the euro belt.

and considering that earl holds a rather recent win over romanov, it´s not like this will be a much tougher fight for him.

and since he wont make lightweight much longer, this fight would make sense instead of waiting.
it'd make no sense. one step at a time please, romanov is a step up from both earl and thaxton. earl might have a win over him, but i don't think he has much left going off his last 2 fights.

also, khan only struggled to make weight this time because of fasting and still looked very good. he should be able to make the weight for a good couple of years yet, so theres plenty of time.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Is Khans chin poor, or was his defence simply shocking...? answer on a postcard to...
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

This is a silly thread. The route is clear - Earl then Thaxton, then look at the landscape. Those two fights at the moment, look tough enough.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOrth
Is Khans chin poor, or was his defence simply shocking...? answer on a postcard to...

Could be a bit of both.
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

cos romanov would pay his arse.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Well i think it's his defence more than anything, did anyone watch the super light hitting steven bell drop femi fehintola, was that becuase steven was a hard puncher, no, was it becuase femi's weak chinned , no, is it becuase if you walk onto a shot unless you have a chin like tua you can get dropped by even a light hitting fighter.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
Well i think it's his defence more than anything, did anyone watch the super light hitting steven bell drop femi fehintola, was that becuase steven was a hard puncher, no, was it becuase femi's weak chinned , no, is it becuase if you walk onto a shot unless you have a chin like tua you can get dropped by even a light hitting fighter.
While in a way you do make a good point , I believe Fehintola doesn't take punches that well(he went down very easily for some of the knockdowns against Johanneson) and although Bell's a light enough hitter he's a respectable one .

While I think almost anyone can be floored by a shot even if it's a light hitter(off balance , didn't see the punch etc) you don't get put on queer street by a light hitter unless there is something wrong with your chin .

Listen I'm not trying to be an asshole here ,some may get the perception I don't like Khan . While I don't like his hype machine he doesn't seem too bad a kid himself .
See that guy in my avatar , he's a hero of mine but his chin is pretty weak . I denied it for long enough , he was all over the place against Voronin........I said Voronin's a very hard puncher(which is true) , people said Walstad wobbled him , I said maybe a little but not too badly(which I still think is true) .

The point is you can only fool yourself for so long
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The whole point i am making is you don't know either way, and i don't think people should be as quick to judge him. I think people should wait until he fight's a bigger puncher before declaring he has a glass jaw or he is chinny, say if thaxton or earl crack him with some good shots and he doesn't go down alot of people will still say well limond knocked him down.
Also bell is one of the lightest hitting fighter's i have seen and couldn't do anything to femi apart from the first knockdown.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The whole point i am making is you don't know either way, and i don't think people should be as quick to judge him. I think people should wait until he fight's a bigger puncher before declaring he has a glass jaw or he is chinny, say if thaxton or earl crack him with some good shots and he doesn't go down alot of people will still say well limond knocked him down.
Also bell is one of the lightest hitting fighter's i have seen and couldn't do anything to femi apart from the first knockdown.
Whatever about Earl(who stops and hurts people on accumulation) if Khan can take some flush shots from Thaxton I won't question his chin anymore .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:

No, we don't know either way - the jury is still out for me but on the evidence so far I think its fair to say his chin is suspect.

Its not just the knockdown he suffered in the Limond fight, he was also dropped heavily by Watson towards the end of his amateur career.
The flash knockdown he suffered against Drilzane did appear to be more of a slip against the ropes in fairness to Khan.

The fact Khan is consistently matched against light hitters has also undoubtedly added to the questioning of his chin - this won't go away until he is put in with a puncher.
elle is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum