Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who's the greatest pound for pound of all time?
Sugar Ray Robinson 23 42.59%
Harry Greb 12 22.22%
Henry Armstrong 4 7.41%
Willie Pep 1 1.85%
Muhammad Ali 5 9.26%
Roberto Duran 3 5.56%
Sugar Ray Leonard 6 11.11%
Pernell Whitaker 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Brian123
ESB WORLD CHAMPION
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who's the greatest?

I would say Bob Fitzsimmons then Greb and Robinson in a tie for 2nd place.

From Tracy Callis (Callis is a member of the International Boxing Research Organization (IBRO) and elector to the International Boxing Hall Of Fame):

"Bob Fitzsimmons was the greatest middleweight fighter of all-time, the second greatest light-heavyweight fighter of all-time, and the best "pound-for-pound" fighter in the history of the boxing"

During his career, held three world championship titles – middleweight, heavyweight, and light heavyweight, Jack Johnson rated Fitzsimmons better than anyone in boxing history.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Brian123 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
The question who is the greatest,is tough to answer for two reasons, to me...The greatest, could mean, what fighter was the best ALL around fighter , and the most beautiful to watch ? I would answer Ray Robinson, who I was fortunate to see in his welterweight prime several times...By far the best fighter I ever saw live. Hands down...
However, the GREATEST Fighter question could mean something else...
It could also mean what fighter, could beat great fighters way above his weight class, that A Ray Robinson, would never attempt to do...Robinson wisely knew his physical limitations...Of course the fighter I have in mind is the Iron City Express, Harry Greb.... Greb beat Hall of famers such as Tunney, Loughran, Gibbons , Jack Dillon,Battling Levinsky, Maxsie Rosenbloom, Mickey Walker, etc,alltime greats who outweighed Harry Greb by 15 pounds or so, and yes, heavyweights such as Bill Brennan several times... As I posted before Harry Greb would certainly lick every one of Ray Robinsons opponents, but Robinson never would beat these great and heavier light heavyweights...He avoided the bigger men such as Moore, Charles, Lloyd Marshall, Harold Johnson...Greb feared no one...This is why I pick Harry Greb, along with Ruby Bob Fitzimmons, and Sam Langford, as the greatest P4P fighters of alltime...They were great " handy cap horses".
Hey, Burt. I'm glad you participated. I thought you would pick Greb, though this time you added even more insight. I agree with you on your points. Do you have a top ten pound for pound list? If you do, would you mind listing it. I value your opinion and would like to take a look. If not, that's ok. Thanks again for your post.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Abdullah, Nice to hear from you...To list the ten greatest fighters is hard to do..I go with my intuition, and what impact the fighter had in his times...What obstacles the fighter had to overcome, and what the writers of his time wrote about him...And my imagination...Some interchangeable...
Greb
Fitzimmons
Langford
Ray Robinson
Benny Leonard
Joe Gans
Jack Dempsey
Joe Louis
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post
I would say Bob Fitzsimmons then Greb and Robinson in a tie for 2nd place.

From Tracy Callis (Callis is a member of the International Boxing Research Organization (IBRO) and elector to the International Boxing Hall Of Fame):

"Bob Fitzsimmons was the greatest middleweight fighter of all-time, the second greatest light-heavyweight fighter of all-time, and the best "pound-for-pound" fighter in the history of the boxing"

During his career, held three world championship titles middleweight, heavyweight, and light heavyweight, Jack Johnson rated Fitzsimmons better than anyone in boxing history.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Jack Johnson said so, so much though.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #20
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Gene Tunney
Ezzard Charles
Jack Johnson
Henry Armstrong [omitted by oversight ]
Ike Williams
Roberto Duran
Willie Pep
Just opinions as we all have,abdullah
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #21
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Abdullah, Nice to hear from you...To list the ten greatest fighters is hard to do..I go with my intuition, and what impact the fighter had in his times...What obstacles the fighter had to overcome, and what the writers of his time wrote about him...And my imagination...Some interchangeable...
Greb
Fitzimmons
Langford
Ray Robinson
Benny Leonard
Joe Gans
Jack Dempsey
Joe Louis
Thanks, Burt. Great list. As you probably already know, Greb was calling Dempsey out all the way back in 1918, before Dempsey ever won the heavyweight title, or so I read. It is known that Greb was able to outbox Dempsey in their sparring sessions, even though they were probably only for a few rounds. Who would you pick if they had fought in 1919, after Dempsey won the title. If they fought in 1923-1924, who would you pick? It would've been truly amazing if Greb had become the World Heavyweight Champion, especially if he had beaten the legendary Jack Dempsey. My love for Greb and the newspaper reports of him outboxing Dempsey make me lean towards Greb. How about you, Burt?
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #22
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Gene Tunney
Ezzard Charles
Jack Johnson
Henry Armstrong [omitted by oversight ]
Ike Williams
Roberto Duran
Willie Pep
Just opinions as we all have,abdullah
Thanks again, Burt. I think you are like me when making these list. The more you think about it, the longer the list becomes. Since the beginning of the Marquess of Queensbury rules in 1867, we have had some great, great pugilists. It is extremely difficult to pick only ten.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #23
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Abdullah, you know of my admiration for harry Greb..However I have read many accounts of Greb saying this..." If I ever fought Dempsey in a regular fight, after a few rounds Jack woukd kill me "...I have read this statement in old Ring Mags, many years ago, and from boxing writers of the time...A peak Dempsey at 190 lbs ,would eventually corner and ko even Harry Greb, as even Greb admitted, in a real fight...But Greb would have fought Dempsey, if given the chance...As the book title implies, Greb was fearless...B.B.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #24
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Amazing Robinson is number 1 in most picks in regards to pound for pound.

As said before, Greb was calling Dempsey out for a title shot(And along with Harry Wills EARN the said title shot. Greb if rankings were there back than, would have made a good number 2 contender)

Robinson on the other hand when offer a possible Marciano fight for the heavyweight title, turn it down. I pretty sure Harry Greb would have jump at the chance.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #25
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post

As said before, Greb was calling Dempsey out for a title shot(And along with Harry Wills EARN the said title shot. Greb if rankings were there back than, would have made a good number 2 contender)

Robinson on the other hand when offer a possible Marciano fight for the heavyweight title, turn it down. I pretty sure Harry Greb would have jump at the chance.
Interesting, I've never heard anything about that...
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #26
EleventhHour
Got Dat Black & Gold Soul
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2501

SRR with Greb as a close second.
EleventhHour is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #27
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Fitzsimmons, Langford and Charles are the only other ones I can see have a claim for the number one spot aside of Greb, Armstrong and Robinson. The others you have dont have enough arguments.

If I had to pick Id take Greb.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #28
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

its still robinson.i've never seen greb so couldn't rank him
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #29
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post

robinson only weighed 150ish when he was at his peak.greb had 20lbs on him.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #30
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

Robinson is the greatest imo. I think Greb has a better resume but I cant give him the number one spot so hes a close second.
Rise Above is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum