Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who's the greatest pound for pound of all time?
Sugar Ray Robinson 23 42.59%
Harry Greb 12 22.22%
Henry Armstrong 4 7.41%
Willie Pep 1 1.85%
Muhammad Ali 5 9.26%
Roberto Duran 3 5.56%
Sugar Ray Leonard 6 11.11%
Pernell Whitaker 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #46
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who's the greatest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Even more importantly, where's Ezzard Charles?
The footage of Charles doesnt match what Ive read about him, I know thats not his fault, its the fault of the times but I go on what Ive seen & what Ive read.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #47
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
Because Pernell Whitaker is one of the greatest fighters of all time. Few fighters can claim to be better than Whitaker at lightweight. I personally wouldn't rank him as the top guy, but some people might. I was just putting him on the list. If you read my previous posts, you would see that I messed up on the poll. I didn't list 10 options, rather only 8. So, Sam Langford and other weren't on there.
Whitaker makes my top 10 but thats because I dont include fighters with zero or shit footage, most on here do tho & Whitaker will recieve very few votes if any IMO.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #48
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
The footage of Charles doesnt match what Ive read about him, I know thats not his fault, its the fault of the times but I go on what Ive seen & what Ive read.
He looks quality on film.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #49
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Whitaker makes my top 10 but thats because I dont include fighters with zero or shit footage, most on here do tho & Whitaker will recieve very few votes if any IMO.
Shit quality, or poor technique?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #50
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

[quote=Bill Butcher;6385445]Whitaker makes my top 10 but thats because I dont include fighters with zero or shit footage, most on here do tho & Whitaker will recieve very few votes if any IMO.[/quote]

Oh, I agree. The funny thing is, I don't think I even expected him to receive any votes, considering the topic is #1 p4p. Sweet Pea is one of the greater modern fighters though.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #51
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

turpiner,Whenever Harry Greeb had to make 160lbs for a fight mGreb would MAKE the weight...Everytime it was required...When NOt fighting for the middleweight crown,Greb weighed more than 160 lbs...Why not...But he STILL spotted his bigger opponents 15 to 50 pounds time and time again...Ray Robinson was almost four inches taller than Greb, and his frame could have easily handled 165,in later years, if Robinson so desired to...
P.S.In 1925 Greb then thirty one, made 158lbs ,weakening him for his vgreat victory over a prime Mickey Walker...He always made whatever weight was required of him...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #52
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Muhammed Ali is the greatest of all time
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #53
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

Duran has three votes, even I find that ridiculous.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #54
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
turpiner,Whenever Harry Greeb had to make 160lbs for a fight mGreb would MAKE the weight...Everytime it was required...When NOt fighting for the middleweight crown,Greb weighed more than 160 lbs...Why not...But he STILL spotted his bigger opponents 15 to 50 pounds time and time again...Ray Robinson was almost four inches taller than Greb, and his frame could have easily handled 165,in later years, if Robinson so desired to...
P.S.In 1925 Greb then thirty one, made 158lbs ,weakening him for his vgreat victory over a prime Mickey Walker...He always made whatever weight was required of him...
the sugarman was way way past it when he weighed 165.i'll stick with the consensus and have robinson as the best ever.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #55
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Amazing Robinson is number 1 in most picks in regards to pound for pound.

As said before, Greb was calling Dempsey out for a title shot. (And along with Harry Wills EARN the said title shot. Greb if rankings were there back then, would have made a good number 2 contender.)

Robinson on the other hand when offered a possible Marciano fight for the heavyweight title, turned it down. I'm pretty sure Harry Greb would have jumped at the chance.
And Bobo Olson told an interviewer on camera while training for his LHW title shot at Moore that if successful, he would then go after Rocky. (Can you imagine?) Of course former middleweight ****ell had been stopped by Turpin, yet lasted into the ninth with Marciano, so who knows?
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #56
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post
And Bobo Olson told an interviewer on camera while training for his LHW title shot at Moore that if successful, he would then go after Rocky. (Can you imagine?) Of course former middleweight ****ell had been stopped by Turpin, yet lasted into the ninth with Marciano, so who knows?
i think moore could have got rid of olsen earlier if he wanted to.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #57
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Would it somehow erase his accomplishments or make him a different man if he had? I still don't get this "If they had retired when..." stuff.
Yes, because Roy's chin was then exposed, as he got starched by a single shot, flattened for the count, and taken out in one. His record looks incredible if we cut it off at 2003. Greb and Robby were never punched out at the world class level the way Jones was against Tarver, Johnson and Green. Roy should have quit when he was ahead. Ruiz was a staggering accomplishment, coming when so many were reflexively stating that we'd never again see a sub 200 pound heavyweight title claimant. (And Ruiz was no transitional single defense champion either, but a titleholder of some substance.)
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #58
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
i think moore could have got rid of olsen earlier if he wanted to.
Very likely. I just took a quick look at it. Bobo made an effort to be cautious, but he was obviously badly outgunned. Olson had a remarkable career considering his apparent vulnerability. I need to review SRR/Olson II and Olson/Turpin. Bobo was so much more than a highlight reel knockout victim.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #59
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post
Very likely. I just took a quick look at it. Bobo made an effort to be cautious, but he was obviously badly outgunned. Olson had a remarkable career considering his apparent vulnerability. I need to review SRR/Olson II and Olson/Turpin. Bobo was so much more than a highlight reel knockout victim.
the full turpin-olsen fight has been on here recently.turpin was well beaten, i won't make excuses for my hero.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #60
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 917

Benny Leonard
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum