Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
rsm688

vCash: 1000
Default bjj guy needs boxing help

hey guys. im gonna make this short, im a bjj guy...never done any official boxing besides a little sparring before bjj sessions with some buddies. anyways i have a fight in 6 months that i need to start preparing for. My fraternity hosts "Fight Night" every year to raise money to donate for muscular distrophy. Anyways, i need some help getting up to par on boxing. I'm currently trying to find someone locally to train me but im not having too much luck with that right now. I need a good training routine , snf any links to good articles and videos. ive already read a bunch of threads on the forum but im looking for more, any suggestions on what i should be studying to get the basics down. Like i said im a grappler, not a boxer, and i have about six months to change this and need some help. Anyways, I will be sponsored by a sorority and the better I do in the tournament the bigger the check they write to the muscular dystrophy association. So i will be killing two birds with one stone, raising money for a great cause and slowly improving my boxing skills.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
spencer
rsm688 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
littleguy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: bjj guy needs boxing help

First up, props to you for doing this.

Title Boxing sells a video by Freddie Roach, one of the best trainers on the west coast. Here's the link:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You may have figured this out already, but you aren't going to learn to box by watching a dvd. Also every guy you talk to is going to have some advice for you, even if they've never been in the ring.

You need to spend some time in a proper gym. If you can afford it, take a weekend to travel and buy a few hours of time with a proper trainer. You don't say where you are, but they are all over, from Los Angeles to Youngstown. Buy yourself some time with a proper trainer so you can get learn the basics.

Post your location, or pm me. There may be a gym closer than you think.
littleguy is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

Here's a good site that lists boxing gyms from all over.

Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
littleguy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Another thing you can do is to contact USA Boxing, which is the national governing body for amateur boxing in the US. Pretty much every state has its own governing committee. Call your local body and ask them to recommend a local club. Here's the link:

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
rsm688

thanks for the tips guys. I'm located in Oxford, Mississippi zip code 38655. I've got a class now but I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I can find a good gym. I wil let yall know if I have any success for it. And yes i know I wont learn to box from DVD's, but i can always get good hints and tips from them until i can find a gym or a trainer.
rsm688 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
gallagher430
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

There's usually a rec center or something in most decent sized cities that is basically free.
gallagher430 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
rsm688

oxford has a college here but other than that its a pretty small ass town. i cant find any rec center or anything boxing related online so far
rsm688 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
littleguy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You got boxing clubs all over Mississippi. Click on the link that lostmykeys posted above, then click on the Mississippi link. I count 24 clubs. You may have to drive a ways but they are there.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing