Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Would Everett have fulfilled his dream of becoming world champ?
Yes, most likely at super featherweight if not in another division (specify) 10 83.33%
No, he'd not come that close again (to the green belt or any other at the world-level) 1 8.33%
Undecided 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000
Default Tyrone Everett

I would like to foster a discussion of this star-crossed super featherweight world title challenger.

I would like to first establish parameters - that we all please refrain from sophomoric tangents or snarks having to do with the circumstances of his premature passing (to clear the air for the uninitiated, he was slaughtered by a woman jealous of another lover who was...not quite a woman).

The only aspect of his death that concerns me, at least for the purposes of this thread, is the question of "What if it hadn't occurred?"

It isn't that those other details regarding the circumstances aren't interesting in their own right, in a real-life pulp fiction manner, but based on what film is available this was a special fighter and deserved enough of our respect as fight fans to not have any and every discussion of him degenerate into a daytime talkshow gigglefest.

What we know is that he was the toast of the town in the Philadelphia boxing scene for a time. He fought for the better part of six years, largely in his own backyard, and largely against middling opposition, but began to slowly gain a head of steam, netting very good wins over the likes of Kim, Lunny, and Barraza en route to his first - and, as it happens, only world title shot (WBC) against a prime Alfredo Escalera.

Most observers at the time and since (myself included) feel he did more than enough to "take the belt" as they say, his pesky right jab seemingly tethered on a paddleball string to the champ's forehead.

Ultimately, he surrendered a much-maligned decision at home to Escalera (who would go on to twice bug the crap out of a still-great Alexis Arguello).

The rebuilding process began immediately, and no sooner had a couple of bounceback no-name KO victims begun to pile up than the bright career - and indeed, life - of this world-class southpaw was cut short.

Given the opportunity to compete throughout his able years, who believes that this man would have secured vindication, and worn a world title belt? I certainly believe he had the tools. He was a real 15-round fighter, could endure through bad cuts, had obvious power, tricky feet, was capable of precision punching while off-balance, and possessed a now-rare trait in "ring awareness" (knowing when to clinch, when to retreat or cancel an attack, and converting his jab when necessary into a counter-swatter).

Anyone agree? Disagree? Match him against top contemporaries at (or near) his weight.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tyrone Everett

I never saw him fight.... I believe his bitch shot his ass over a dispute........ Jesus...... That must've been 30 yrs ago off the top of my head.... Maybe 35 yrs ago.?.?

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I never saw him fight.... I believe his bitch shot his ass over a dispute........ Jesus...... That must've been 30 yrs ago off the top of my head.... Maybe 35 yrs ago.?.?

MR.BILL
Split the difference - it'll have been 33 years in May. Good memory.

Lost talents like Sanchez are a fascinating subject for me. Also, that challenge he gave Escalera is a damn good fight and worth commemorating, and worth drawing on to analyze the young man's chances later in an imagined extended campaign for gold.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

A few others got clipped back then too...... Dujuan Johnson fought a gallant effort at 140 against Pryor and was later shot in a traffic squabble......

Later on, Alfredo Layne was also picked off and died.... Layne beat Gomez in '86 and then lost to Whitaker a year or so later.....

Heavyweight Ricky Womack got out of prison for robbery and blew his brains out cuz his career was over......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

No one really knows what a fighter is "going" to do, but Everett did seem to have all the tools, plus the toughness and grit needed to be a great or near-great fighter. I thought he was blatantly robbed against Escalera, that was one of the most baffling decisions I've ever seen.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I recall Kiko Bejines being touted as a future champion back in 1982 or '83.... Shortly after, he gets killed in a fight from Alberto Davila who was known to have a powder-punch.......... FREAKY!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

For me, there's no assurance he ever would have become a champion. I don't see him beating Arguello, just about the last orthodox champion on earth a southpaw wants to see in the opposite corner. Sammy Serrano had considerably more experience over the 15 round limit, and was 8-0-1 over the championship distance. He was a respectable two time champion with 13 successful title defenses in those two reigns.

No, I don't see it happening, certainly not before 1980. Serrano and Arguello would have been ready for him, and I don't see Everett stepping up at 135 to take Duran's immediate successors, Jim Watt, Ernesto Espana and Hilmer Kenty.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He beat Escalera. I watched it about a year ago. Think I had it something like 11-4. That was a horrendous decision. I think he would've trouble the hell out of Arguello but can't make the leap to saying he'd beat Arguello. He was a better fighter than Serrano though and a fews years later, I think he'd have been too skilled for the likes of Limon and a fading Chacon. I think he would've won a title.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMmf7x6KrIA[/ame]
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Flea Man,

Always finding the 'hard-to-find' tapes.

That was Tyrone's first bout after his 'controversial' Decision Loss to Alfredo Escalera
on November 30, 1976 at 'The Spectrum'

February 21, 1977

Tyrone improved to 35-1-0 (19 KO's), and remained as the #2 WBC Super-Featherweight.

The Mexican - Cornelio 'Memin' Vega, came in with a reported record of 37-10-2 (33 KO's),
and with a reputation as a 'tough journeyman'.

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 11-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Thanks go to Raging B(_)LL again for that one, but I thought there'd be a few that'd like to see more of Everett
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Master Flea,

There is a tape of Tyrone Everett fighting Delfino Rodriguez.

It was on the May 16, 1977 undercard of Muhammad Ali vs. Alfredo Evangilista
and Alfredo Escalera vs Carlos Becerril in Landover, Maryland.

Tyrone was going to fight Alfredo Escalera next, in Puerto Rico.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Skins
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Was at ringside for the Escalara fight and the decision was so bad it was surreal. It is one thing to lose a hometown decision, but to lose one in your own hometown was kind of unprecidented. In those days they had one judge from each fighters country and one neutral judge, and it was the philly judge who voted for Escalera. I remember me and my buddies harrassing Russell Peltz after the fight, like it was somehow his fault (Sorry about that Russell) Just unbelievable. I think Tyrone has the kind of style that could have given Alexis problems, but we never got to find out. He had the chance to be a great fighter
Skins is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Skins,

It was Lou Tress, the Philadelphia Judge who voted for Alfredo Escalera
145-143 (7-5-3 in Rounds).

More 'behind the scenes' moves in that fight than anyone would admit to.

Top Rank was also involved.......... 'Follow The Money'

After the fight, Alfredo Escalera told Tyrone he won the fight.

In the dressing room afterwards, Escalera then changed his tune,
and said "Tyrone, he run, run, run. He not fight like a Champion.
He won Rounds 1, 2 and 3. That's it. A Champion must fight, not run."

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum