boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #76
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Roland Lastarza have succeeded in other eras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
This is an interesting list, and one that I realize these experts put a lot of time and data into making the determinations. I find it interesting however, that Langford had such a high rating, given that he was never a lineal champion. Still, I suppose there were a lot of reasons that may not be easily seen on the surface. He was fighting during a rather turbulant period in the division, and who's opportunities were possibly limited due to his being black at the time.

On a different note: What do you think about a matchup between Roland Lastarza and say a prime Jerry Quarry. How would you see that fight going?
To a very close decision--Quarry proved he could outspeed big, very hard hittting, but perhaps plodding fighters such as Shavers, Foster, and Lyle. He certainly has the stronger resume by far. LaStarza, though, I think was faster and more elusive and Quarry tended to have trouble with the slick, fast-stepping boxers such as Machen and Ellis. Basically a toss-up, but if pressed for a choice, I would choose Quarry because of his better resume.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #77
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
To a very close decision--Quarry proved he could outspeed big, very hard hittting, but perhaps plodding fighters such as Shavers, Foster, and Lyle. He certainly has the stronger resume by far. LaStarza, though, I think was faster and more elusive and Quarry tended to have trouble with the slick, fast-stepping boxers such as Machen and Ellis. Basically a toss-up, but if pressed for a choice, I would choose Quarry because of his better resume.
Probably a good pick. And I agree that this fight would likely be a decision, as neither of these men were tremendous hitters and both were very durable. I think Quarry was the better offensive fighter, while Lastarza had a better defense. I'm not sure if either man would pressure the other enough to make it a very exciting fight, but in any event, it would likely be close.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #78
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
If you mean would he have done something as a heavyweight in other era's then the question would be what era do you mean?If you mean before Sonny Liston then i would guess he could be affective against other 175 pound or 180 pound guys but against any heavyweight champion from Liston till today then they answer woud be no because just like Marciano he wasn't a true heavyweight and never fought any true heavyweights.If Lastaraza was alive and fighting at heavyweight today he would be knocked out all the time just like Rocky Marciano would be.
Well let's think about this for moment.

Given that the perameters for what defined a " true heavyweight ", were different back in those days, then by definition, they were in fact true heavyweights in their time.
mr. magoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum