Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Orishaman
I tell it like it is....
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default **Could Cotto v. Mosley turn into another JCC v. Taylor?**

The stage is set up for what should be a candidate for fight of the year, Sugar Shane Mosley, a warrior doesn’t back up for anyone, speed , style, slick…Miguel Cotto, deliverit, methodical, powerful body attack and can finish like a freight train. sound familiar, well we all remember one of the most brutal fight in recent memory…the methodical, body puncher that can finish like a freight train JCC vs. the speedy, slick, doesn’t back up for anyone Meldrick Taylor…for 10 rounds JCC put a body attack that destroyed Meldrick as a boxer, he broke him and finished him….now I am saying the Cotto v. SSM fight has all the parallels to that fight, the powerful and methodical vs. the sleek speedy opponent…I hope that the outcome of this fight will not end like that one. but action wise, I can see this fight following the path of the JCC fight…Cotto powerful body attack, and disfigurations punches to the head, vs. SSM sleek combos and angle punches….

What you guys think…
Orishaman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: **Could Cotto v. Mosley turn into another JCC v. Taylor?**

It definitely has all of the ingredients for that kind of fight. With all of the physical ingredients in place it now depends on the fighters mindsets.
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The big difference between Mosely and Taylor is that Mosely can really punch hard.Taylor smacked Chavez in the puss all night and all that happened was an abrasion on the bridge of Julio's nose.If Taylor was hitting Chavez with Mosley type power, Julio wouldn't have survived.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Cotto wins this fight unless he gets caught with a big uppercut which is the only puch that seems to break through and bang him, rock him all the time.
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
freddy-wak
M O D E R A T O R
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNose
The big difference between Mosely and Taylor is that Mosely can really punch hard.Taylor smacked Chavez in the puss all night and all that happened was an abrasion on the bridge of Julio's nose.If Taylor was hitting Chavez with Mosley type power, Julio wouldn't have survived.
freddy-wak is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

I dreamed that Cotto had won this fight.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

In what way? damage? no..its not going to be too much clash of styles as people would have you believe
chimba is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNose
i agree that mosley is a way harder puncher than taylor (had taylor had prime mosley power, chavez probably would have gone down), but can he still bring such a great dynamic effort.

taylor was 23 and in his absolute PRIME!!

mosley is already way past it. not shot, but certainly far removed from the fighter who beat a prime Oscar.
that mosley would have been a big favorite over cotto imo.

but this mosley is 35 and has been in boxing since he was what???....eight years of age??? the wear and tear is showing. he struggled with guys like estrada and jose luis cruz........guys who would have done well to go 5 rounds with mosley in his prime.

i think mosley will look to conserve his energy looking to potshot cotto from the outside.

he´ll have some success early, but by mid rounds, cotto will break him down to the body. and stop him late.

a good fight, but not close to chavez vs taylor imo.
bumdujour is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orishaman
The stage is set up for what should be a candidate for fight of the year, Sugar Shane Mosley, a warrior doesn’t back up for anyone, speed , style, slick…Miguel Cotto, deliverit, methodical, powerful body attack and can finish like a freight train. sound familiar, well we all remember one of the most brutal fight in recent memory…the methodical, body puncher that can finish like a freight train JCC vs. the speedy, slick, doesn’t back up for anyone Meldrick Taylor…for 10 rounds JCC put a body attack that destroyed Meldrick as a boxer, he broke him and finished him….now I am saying the Cotto v. SSM fight has all the parallels to that fight, the powerful and methodical vs. the sleek speedy opponent…I hope that the outcome of this fight will not end like that one. but action wise, I can see this fight following the path of the JCC fight…Cotto powerful body attack, and disfigurations punches to the head, vs. SSM sleek combos and angle punches….

What you guys think…
Spot on actually...
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
errsta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orishaman

What you guys think…
Agree on all counts. Mosley has the speed and the heart to do damage, Cotto has the power and determination to make him pay. The only difference is that Cotto's chin isn't nearly as solid as Chavez's was - not to say he has a glass chin so don't crucify me.

This fight has all the makings for that kind of fight. Most anticipated fight, for me at least, this year.
errsta is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by errsta
Agree on all counts. Mosley has the speed and the heart to do damage, Cotto has the power and determination to make him pay. The only difference is that Cotto's chin isn't nearly as solid as Chavez's was - not to say he has a glass chin so don't crucify me.

This fight has all the makings for that kind of fight. Most anticipated fight, for me at least, this year.
Those are the 2 variables. Chavez's chin was sturdier than Cotto's is. And Mosley hits harder than Taylor did. However, Taylor was PRIME and Mosley is not.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
errsta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Those are the 2 variables. Chavez's chin was sturdier than Cotto's is. And Mosley hits harder than Taylor did. However, Taylor was PRIME and Mosley is not.
Absolutely and that may be the the bigger factor.
errsta is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

It has parallels to Chavez-Taylor, but if Cotto takes as much punishment as Chavez did, he wont be around for the 12th round to finish off Mosley.

Last edited by Toney; 07-24-2006 at 04:44 AM.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

I would lie if there was no paralell and insult what is our immense collective knowledge, it has everything to do with JCC vs Meldrick Taylor for the reasons you pointed out rightfully. I feel though that Merdrick did have a tricky chin that betrayed him much in that and in other fights and Shane has a far sturdier chin. On the flipside, Miguel has big power and good accuracy like when he sits down on his punches to the body while Chavez was very commited but a less effective puncher-hooker. I wouldn't say Shane is faster or flashier than Taylor was back then, but more striking than Cotto's power to JCC's may be Shane's experience and boxing IQ to Taylor's...
Dorfmeister is online now  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
Orishaman
I tell it like it is....
ESB Addict

More and More I look at this fight more paralllels I see....now all you guys pointed some great points and I can see that we are all on the same page on this one...

In responce to SSM chin, sure he has a solid chin but not impenetrable and you can ask Vernon about that...and with no disrespect to Vernon,Cotto is far more accurate, stronger and a harder puncher than Vernon was on that fight....SSM'S legs are not what they were and are are not what Meldrick legs were that night , as so many of you pointed out...Meldrick had prime legs while SSM will have "past his prime" legs, but he will maek up with ringmanship and saviness..but like JJC broke down Meldrick with hilacious body shots, Cotto will follow the game plan and hammer the rib cages and the solar plexum...and see in what shape SSM really is...the uppercut will be an intangable for SSM, who can thru the upper for the outside like he did with Vargas...SSM will attack Cotto left hooks with overhead rights...the point is which one will reach first and do more damage...SSM will have to accept that he will be punished that night like he never been just to connect punches that could do damage on Cotto.....I beleive he will be determine but once again your are determine until someone break your will, JCC broke Meldrick's will....Cotto will do the same...
Orishaman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum