Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: advice needed for bulking up

What do you do for a living LoBlow? You seem to know what you're talking about.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

loBlow knows what he talks about most of the time, he used to act like an asshole before though.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlow
For just once I would love to experience the internet without reading stupid ramblings, and idiotic opinions such as the above quoted text
he said "to some degree" he didn't mean it will slow you down.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #19
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
What do you do for a living LoBlow? You seem to know what you're talking about.
I use to be a personal trainer 4 years ago, I trained women mainly because men tend to be stubborn and one tracked minded, I have aided many women acheive a better body and personal self asteem,

I myself trained using resistance training for many years and although I am not heavily muscled I have cultivated my physique over the years into a well fit machine

I then started boxing once a friend introduced me to his boxing gym, I have had many ammy fights my record is now 32 W 11 L, but due to life wife and child I had to give up my boxing although I hit the gym 1 per week for a 5 round spar just to keep it tight

I would have loved to fight in the pros but a detached retina stopped me from doing that

I now train 6 ammy boxers and one of them will be going pro in the middle of 2008
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
he said "to some degree" he didn't mean it will slow you down.
yes he did, I have over looked that thanks for pointing it out, it's just that most think weights are bad for you in boxing and bulk you up and slow you down

the truth is if you train with weights as you would for bodybuilding or power lifting that might be true, but if you incorporate weight with boxing in mind and doing specific exercises to restrengthen punching techniques and add speeds weights are not a problem at all
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by josak
What do you guys think of :

using supplements
weight training vs. other means (for building muscle)
Anyone?
josak is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Supps are great, they do just that they supplementate, for most it is very hard to eat correctly as one needs to depending on his sport and goals, so the use of supplements can be very beneficial depending on your goals

keep in mind supplements alone will not do the job one still needs to lift and train like a mad man
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #23
boxerpuncher069

6 meals daily i'd say 500 cals a peice would do well for your size

you want to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass you want to have, so if you want to weigh 180 lbs you should eat 180 grams of protein daily to get there or maintain it.

You should lift for 8-12 reps

you should body build
boxerpuncher069 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

loblow , what do you recommend more for building muscle: weight lifting or bodyweight training?
josak is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #25
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by josak
loblow , what do you recommend more for building muscle: weight lifting or bodyweight training?
both build muscle.

train for an objective dont worry about the tools used,
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #26
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
pro bodybuilders have around 7-8% during competitions, i assum you guys are ripped as them?
yeah, I mean, in terms of lack of fat - I'm not all musclebound or anything but my abs show very much....it's just my age and genetics...I'll put on more meat as I get older, as my metabolism slows down and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus
Consistent lifting will not slow him down at all and only lifting twice a week will do very little in terms of muscle building.
yeah, well, maybe not according to some science article on the internet, but I've experimented with every type of lifting and it slowed me down to some degree - not hand speed, but acceleration...my 'firing time'....basically, my arms felt heavier when throwing and I was a little more stiff. As for the two times a week, my mistake, I was thinking of power lifting, but if this guy wants to add muscle, he needs to be doing 8-12 rep training pretty frequently.

Quote:
For just once I would love to experience the internet without reading stupid ramblings, and idiotic opinions such as the above quoted text
stupid ramblings and idiotic opinions? I said lifting would slow you down to some degree, learn how to close read you before you go insulting someone. It may be an opinion, but it's valid because it's based on experience; I don't just claim 'weights are bad, they bulk you up'....I actually used weights because I thought they would help; they didn't.

Quote:
yes he did, I have over looked that thanks for pointing it out, it's just that most think weights are bad for you in boxing and bulk you up and slow you down

the truth is if you train with weights as you would for bodybuilding or power lifting that might be true, but if you incorporate weight with boxing in mind and doing specific exercises to restrengthen punching techniques and add speeds weights are not a problem at all
I don't think weights are "bad", they just don't work for me, so I don't recommend them to people - especially those with a similar body type - but at the same time I don't decry them. Doing bodybuilding training slowed me down more than power training, but they both affected me. It just comes down to how the person feels about it and what works for them. This argument is perpetual and there seems to be no absolute truth.

15-20 lbs. of extra muscle will help you in a street fight, not in the ring where you will be in a higher weight class with guys who are naturally that big and strong.
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #27
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwil
It may be an opinion, but it's valid because it's based on experience; I don't just claim 'weights are bad, they bulk you up'....I actually used weights because I thought they would help; they didn't.
ok ok dont get em all bunched up, there is a great possibility that your weight training was incorrect, weight training for boxing would be different as opposed to any other type of weigh trainings, so just because you trained and probably did not use the correct techniques to enhance your boxing does not mean that its that way for every one

they did not work for "you"

just a side note that might offer some info to you,

depending on your genetics and many other factors it would take an average of about 12 months to obtain your desired goals with weights especially when training for boxing
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #28
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Whole
2 loblow would you recommend strength and cardio training? or pursue the each strength and cardio goal by itself?
Good question! I cannot be specific due to every human being different in many ways

But I would suggest for the average person to attempt strength and cardio training all together as opposed to 1 at a time

the human body is an amazing machine and adapts well. A balance of both will work well for the athlete, the body works as a whole you see, for example a simple walk calls upon so many aspects of the body to perform that function, muscles, skeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory etc

a siple example of utalizing both strength and cardio training as one

would be to use moderate to light weights that will allow you to do very high rep exercises, when I say high rep I mean 40+ reps per set or more, as you can see this will become cardio once the normal rep range is broken somewhere after 20reps or so while at the same time working on the strength of the muscles to perform during a taxing high rep scheme
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #29
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

on a side note who would you guys pick as your strength coach if you had the choice between mackie shilstone, ross enamait, fred hatfield and billy blanks?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #30
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

For myself I would not pick any and banks last on the list of not any, but if forced I would go with Ross because he is more versed with boxing
LoBlow is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing