Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: advice needed for bulking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlow
For myself I would not pick any and banks last on the list of not any, but if forced I would go with Ross because he is more versed with boxing
not even the great mackie shilstone!!!!???
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #32
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

nwil what i dont get is how you get such noticable results, i mean you strength train and you feel slow, you buy a heavier heavy bag, and your power increases, how do you measure it?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #33
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

naaaa not even,
LoBlow is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #34
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
nwil what i don't get is how you get such noticeable results, i mean you strength train and you feel slow, you buy a heavier heavy bag, and your power increases, how do you measure it?
I cant speak for everyone but:

Using myself as an example when I was heavier, of course my punches was harder this was mainly due to me having more bodyweight behind the punches

When I became lighter of course the punches seemed to be less harder, which I attribute to me having less body weight?

what you need to keep in mind is that one does not have to be a power puncher or heavy hitter to be effective and stun or Ko the opponent at all.

the well deliverance of the punch upon the target does the job.
I see many youngsters asking and trying to learn hoe to add power to their punch, the thing is we all possess that ability already , for some it is easy to tap into that recourse naturally, and some have to learn, and then there are some that will never

and one more thing it does not totally depend upon you hitting the target/opponent with the perfect shot to drop or stop him, the opponent must allow this to a certain point, via lack of defense, not seeing the shot coming, body in a bad position to accept the shot, etc etc
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #35
MrSmall
Journeyman

Relentless, it's not the west side for skinny bastards program, it's the WESTSIDE BARBELL program, Joe DeFranco made a popular version of the westside barbell system.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #36
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
Relentless, it's not the west side for skinny bastards program, it's the WESTSIDE BARBELL program, Joe DeFranco made a popular version of the westside barbell system.
he needs the westside for skinny bastard program joe defranco's version, he wants to pack on muscles.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #37
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

pro bodybuilders have around 7-8% during competitions, i assum you guys are ripped as them?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

My friend.. 7 to 8 percent isn't that ripped. This is 3 or 4ish, and completely water drained. 8 isn't that low, and for a bodybuilder during competition, it would be considered very fat.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #38
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

god damn that is disgusting.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #39
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
yes he did, I have over looked that thanks for pointing it out, it's just that most think weights are bad for you in boxing and bulk you up and slow you down

the truth is if you train with weights as you would for bodybuilding or power lifting that might be true, but if you incorporate weight with boxing in mind and doing specific exercises to restrengthen punching techniques and add speeds weights are not a problem at all
Iv heard this too and the only reason iv stayed away from weights is that i dont know really what to do with them that would be most effective. Do you or anyone else know sites with information on the exercises ,weight and reps that do not slow you down. Basically i want to aim to be of boxing speed and strength even if i never end up boxing competitivley. thnx Iv got a loada weights in the shed that i never use. And i admit that i only use body weight but im not stuck in my ways if something works ill use it !
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #40
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
ok ok dont get em all bunched up, there is a great possibility that your weight training was incorrect, weight training for boxing would be different as opposed to any other type of weigh trainings, so just because you trained and probably did not use the correct techniques to enhance your boxing does not mean that its that way for every one

they did not work for "you"

just a side note that might offer some info to you,

depending on your genetics and many other factors it would take an average of about 12 months to obtain your desired goals with weights especially when training for boxing
my weight training was not incorrect - I became involved in weight training over 3 years ago, so I am very learned on that field. And I also know the effects of different weight lifting methods on one's boxing game. I performed compound and olympic lifts.....yes they made me more "powerful" in the sense of brute power, but eventually, my firing time was a little slower, and honestly, I would have kept doing it if they had helped my power, but they didn't. I started lifting two summers ago and did it until the next school year....13 months or so.....with small breaks.

Quote:
nwil what i dont get is how you get such noticable results, i mean you strength train and you feel slow, you buy a heavier heavy bag, and your power increases, how do you measure it?
I wouldn't say I get 'noticeable results'.....it doesn't come right away. It took a couple months of lifting three times a week to really see the effects. As for the heavy bag, I could feel more power in my punches...I mean, it was a heavier bag, so it was bound to increase punching power to some degree. now it's kind of leveled out. I think anyone who goes from some standing punching bag to a 100 lb. heavy bag would experience similar results.
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #41
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

i dont see the point of strength training 3 times a week for a boxer, it is supposed to be a SUPPLEMENT,

i do strength training once a week, i often dont use weights for strength training anymore because my equipments are in the garden and i dont want to train outside in the cold.

Loblow what do you think about complex training?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing