Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #31
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Floyd Patterson is the youngest ever

Tyson never won THE title until he beat Spinks at the age of just under 22 by 3 days. Paterson won THE title aged 21 years and 10 months.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #32
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Under the floorboards
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
With my son being forced into the sport as soon as he can walk and getting fatter by the day, I think it will Happen
Gonna live your dreams through your boy? That's my plan anyway
HeavyT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #33
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Spinks was THE Champion and Berbick a mere Alphabet title holder. Similar to the difference between Haye and Wladimir now.

Especially considering what Tyson did to Spinks, I don't think that argument holds too much water.

Anyway, Tyson at the time, was very much was seen as the man and was most certainly not seen in anyway to what Haye is seen now - who's HW title is more like Herbie Hide's WBO time, to that of Mike Tyson.
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #34
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

What Tyson did to Spinks doesn't matter, that still doesn't retrospectively make him the champ ~2 years earlier.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #35
Jasper Simone
Veteran Traveller
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rummaging through the bins
Posts: 209
vCash: 2572
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Tyson still won a version of the title at just 20 years of age. To be honest I don't think the record will be beaten in my life time. Of course, records are there to be broken, and invariably they always are. However, this is one record I see standing for many, many more years yet.
Jasper Simone is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #36
DDA365
Gatecrasher
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 798
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Maybe, just depends on if anybody is as good as young as he was again

if somebody comes through and is as good and as devestating as tyson then the promoter is going to know hes going to make tons of money if they make him an early young champion so theyll do it

im sure there must be other recent examples through the weightclasses of boxers who were outstanding from their debut getting big fights when they were still young
DDA365 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #37
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The sooner the safer
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

I see Tysons record falling before Benitez's one will
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #38
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

...
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #39
Jasper Simone
Veteran Traveller
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rummaging through the bins
Posts: 209
vCash: 2572
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
I see Tysons record falling before Benitez's one will
17 wasn't he?

That will never be beaten.

I doubt.
Jasper Simone is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #40
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
What Tyson did to Spinks doesn't matter, that still doesn't retrospectively make him the champ ~2 years earlier.

Tyson was the man at HW and everyone knew it, he also more than later proved it, flattening Spinks, simple as that.

It's unfair, I think, to use pedantry, technicality, politics, Don King shenanigans and the ABC roundabout to try and defame his achievements.

If we want to go down that route, no modern boxers have ever be called champ because no one can ever agree even what unified means for a start.

I mean, Tyson was never the real champ because he never fought Francesco Damiani for the WBO.

He was the unified WBC, WBA and IBF title holder, before the age Floyd won, personally I give him a break.
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #41
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The sooner the safer
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Simone View Post
17 wasn't he?

That will never be beaten.

I doubt.
Yeah amazing stuff, shame what has happened to him though
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #42
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

GazOC, you are a Tyson hater.

You'll be calling him a bum next and an exposed fraud.
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #43
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 824
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
I see Tysons record falling before Benitez's one will
Great point, that Benitez record will never fall, 17 years of age and a World Champion, that stat is unbelievable, and what a technician he was ..
In these days of fractured titles the lineal argument isnt really applicable. Its not Tysons fault he operated in his era and its not Pattersons fault he operated in his. Whether you have Tyson or Patterson as the youngest champ, this acheivement will last for a hell of a long time, and i cant see it being broken, simply because boxing and the society surrounding boxing has changed, especially in America .... The amatuer boxing scene in America is as weak as its ever been, talent just isnt coming through. The reason for this, is that Black Athletes simply have more choices than they used to have, more safer avenues are open to them and Boxing isnt the 'only option' any more like it used to be .... People say the Heavyweight division is simply in a 'cycle', i disagree, its quite clear that it is in terminal decline in the states .. The last American guy that came through of any quality was Bowe, over 20 years ago .. Not one guy with any old-school class has come through since, and the only place a guy could challenge for a Heavyweight title from 18-21 would be America .. No Russian, Ukranian or British guy would ever challenge for the title at that age ..

Tyson/Patterson and Benitez's records will probably last forever because Boxing as a sport will never re-capture its glory days ....
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #44
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli View Post
Tyson was the man at HW and everyone knew it, he also more than later proved it, flattening Spinks, simple as that.

It's unfair, I think, to use pedantry, technicality, politics, Don King shenanigans and the ABC roundabout to try and defame his achievements.

If we want to go down that route, no modern boxers have ever be called champ because no one can ever agree even what unified means for a start.

I mean, Tyson was never the real champ because he never fought Francesco Damiani for the WBO.

He was the unified WBC, WBA and IBF title holder, before the age Floyd won, personally I give him a break.
It wasn't that Tyson wasn't unified champ that was the sticking point for me (or Lee Mc I'd guess) it was that Tyson hadn't beaten the active lineal champ around at that time (not Tysons fault of course). The fact he did beat him later doesn't "backdate" Tysons claim to the lineal championship.

Liston could have beaten Paterson years before he did but we don't date his reign early on the strenght of that.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #45
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Tysons record of youngest Champ ever be beaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli View Post
GazOC, you are a Tyson hater.

You'll be calling him a bum next and an exposed fraud.
Well he WAS lucky against Big Frank in that first fight....
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013