boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Martinez: I thought it was an even fight that could go either way.

This is Martinez interview on fightnews website.

Let’s talk a little bit about your last fight. In your last outing, your fight with Paul Williams ended in a loss via majority decision; do you think you won that fight?
It was a pretty even match. I think I could have won by one point but I could have also lost by one point but not by the scores that came out, I even feel that a draw would have been fair.
You were replacing Kelly Pavlik, who was forced to pull out due to an injury, with about a months notice; do you feel that was enough time to prepare for someone like Paul Williams?
Well I had a little over a months training but I feel that if I would have had 8 weeks of preparation the result would have been different and I think that it showed in the fight.
Was Williams the best opponent you have faced to date and what’s your opinion of him as a fighter?
Definitely; he’s been the toughest opponent I’ve faced yet, he’s a great fighter.

rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Default Re: Martinez: I thought it was an even fight that could go either way.

For those saying Martinez was robbed and blah blah blah can finally shut up about it cause even Martinez himself thought the fight vs Williams was an even fight that could have gone either way.
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

My hat's off to Martinez. He's being very fair and not crying about the results like alot of grown men do and not making excuses about anything when he actually should. He lets his fists do the talking. That's old school for you right there.
elchivito is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

I thought PW won but it was a fight that could've gone either way. If someone thinks Martinez got robbed in any fight its......here it comes................Cintron/Martinez.
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

One of the judges had it 119-110 for PW or something of the sort.

Curruption no doubt. Even though like he said it was a fight that could have gone either way, there was no way it was going his way.

I had him winning by 1 point only. Agree that with fair judges, it could have gone either way

actually he was only robbed by 1 of the judges. If that judge was not corrupt it could have been a draw or a loss.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
One of the judges had it 119-110 for PW or something of the sort.

Curruption no doubt. Even though like he said it was a fight that could have gone either way, there was no way it was going his way.

I had him winning by 1 point only. Agree that with fair judges, it could have gone either way
^^^If that judge had it 115-113 for Williams instead of 119-110, most here and others around the world wouldn't called it a robbery.
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
I thought PW won but it was a fight that could've gone either way. If someone thinks Martinez got robbed in any fight its......here it comes................Cintron/Martinez.
Yea my thoughts are the same. Martinez was landing some clean shots, probably even the harder shots, but Williams was landing more and being more consistent. I gave it to Williams, but a draw was not out of the question. I would like to see a better prepared Martinez with Williams in the rematch. I like both fighters, but Martinez right now is good enough to be the best 154lber in the world if he really pushes himself. If he beats Pavlik, he might even be the best 160lber if he can pull that one off which he can.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhogan View Post
^^^If that judge had it 115-113 for Williams instead of 119-110, most here and others around the world wouldn't called it a robbery.
yea, but he didn't have it 115-113. He had it 119-110. Therefore its a robbery.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Yea my thoughts are the same. Martinez was landing some clean shots, probably even the harder shots, but Williams was landing more and being more consistent. I gave it to Williams, but a draw was not out of the question. I would like to see a better prepared Martinez with Williams in the rematch. I like both fighters, but Martinez right now is good enough to be the best 154lber in the world if he really pushes himself. If he beats Pavlik, he might even be the best 160lber if he can pull that one off which he can.
Agreed. Martinez better take lessons from Hopkins on ghostbusting."Who ya gonna call?"
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
^^What about a better prepared Williams? Both Martinez and Williams had short time to prepared for each other before the fight so it was even.
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675

Martinez is definately a good fighter and obviously someone very easy to root for.

I like him more and more everytime i listen to him in interviews. Doesnt ***** and just comes to fight.

I gave the fight to MArtinez. But no way in hell he woulda won that even with a TKO as has even happened to him before. He was there to lose.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
yea, but he didn't have it 115-113. He had it 119-110. Therefore its a robbery.
It was a robbery by that 1 judge but it wasn't a robbery from other results correct?
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 700

Quote:
^^What about a better prepared Williams? Both Martinez and Williams had short time to prepared for each other before the fight so it was even.
Everyone seems to forget that Williams was preparing for the abominable snowman, for two training camps, and had to switch up last minute to train for Martinez.

If anything, Williams has a bigger possible upside in a rematch. He could have fought a lot better in the rematch. Martinez, in my opinion fiought about as well as he has ever fought.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
It was a robbery by that 1 judge but it wasn't a robbery from other results correct?
correct. But 1 judge can make the whole difference especially since 1 of the other judges had it a draw.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckBreaknAiken View Post
Everyone seems to forget that Williams was preparing for the abominable snowman, for two training camps, and had to switch up last minute to train for Martinez.

If anything, Williams has a bigger possible upside in a rematch. He could have fought a lot better in the rematch. Martinez, in my opinion fiought about as well as he has ever fought.
Yup Williams was at first prepare to fight way too 1 dimensional Pavlik but now had to train another fighter with a different style and a different fighting stance.
rayhogan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum