Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #466
anklespanker75
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Abraham vs Dirrell & shitty undercard RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
I reckon Froch is geting a bit of a raw deal in this thread. Dirrel looked better tonight due to AA's slow workrate. Carl is an awkward guy to fight and what he lacks in speed he makes up for in heart and power.

Agreed froch looked the better against Dirrell.. I'd still fancy Abraham to knock froch out though.. I like froch but he won't be able to block abrahams bombs with his face all night long.
anklespanker75 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #467
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 895

On another note I really thought that this was a very good fight, two good skilled fighters and a good interesting clash of styles. It's a such a shame that it had to end that way I would have loved to have seen how the rest of the fight would have played out I had Abraham winning the last two rounds and was beggining to get to Dirrell and he should have had a knock down on top of that. I hope Dirrell is OK and will be back in top form for his next fight, he earned my respect last night and also gave the Super Six a much needed boost with his performance.
royalt0208 is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #468
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Dirrell got felled by a jab. That should have been ruled a knockdown.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #469
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Looked like Dirrell made the most of it to me...but I haven't seen it in slow motion
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #470
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

dq was obviously the right decision....but i won't be jumping on any 'abraham is a horrible bastard' bandwagon...in the moment it happened abraham wouldnt have had time to think, he had waited 11 rounds to try and knock dirrell out and he was wound up with the cut eye and being 4/5 minutes away from a big defeat...it was pure instinct...we complain a lot when boxers appear to not have the killer instinct and sometimes complain when they do...yes, he deserved to be disqualified, but this isnt darts they are playing...these are boxers that have had a killer instinct bred into them most of their lives....this kind of thing is bound to happen....i wouldnt hate abraham too much over it..

as for folks saying dirrell faked it, i dont think he did...i say think, cause all the posts on here have got me looking at it again now....when it happened, right away i thought 'ah, he's messing there' in the same way i thought abraham was making a mountain out of the low shot in the early rounds...but then when it showed him close up and they said his leg was twitching, it appeared very genuine, and i had no doubt that he was knocked out...and the way he reacted after getting up, he didnt know what the fook was happening....nah, i think he was sparked alright...

i couldnt help but look at dirrells skils during the fight and think that froch was very lucky to get that win over him...but, maybe abrahams style was always going to make dirrell look good....i'm still an abraham fan, he's a throwback 15 round fighter...

anyhoo...just my tuppence worth..
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #471
The Blackout
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalt0208 View Post
On another note I really thought that this was a very good fight, two good skilled fighters and a good interesting clash of styles. It's a such a shame that it had to end that way I would have loved to have seen how the rest of the fight would have played out I had Abraham winning the last two rounds and was beggining to get to Dirrell and he should have had a knock down on top of that. I hope Dirrell is OK and will be back in top form for his next fight, he earned my respect last night and also gave the Super Six a much needed boost with his performance.

Yep, completely agree. It was a good, interesting fight - you couldnt take your eyes off the action.

Dirrell impressed me and was clearly way in front on points, but Abraham was getting to him, hurting him and should have had a knockdown, before the DQ.

An unfortunate end to what was a very interesting fight! Would love to see a re-match at some point.
The Blackout is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #472
Akers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 991

I'll be honest and say that initially I thought Dirrell was faking. I KNOW he wasn't, but that was just how I saw it straight away.

I thought the fight was hotting up and we would have had a quality finish. I think Abraham was hurting Dirrell and could've stopped him.

Very impressed with Dirrell. If he had fought with that much confidence against Froch, then that fight would've been great.

Even though I wanted Abraham to KO Dirrell, afterwards i was pleased with the result. Because had Abraham KO'd Dirrell he'd be on 6 points, and if Froch then beat Kessler, then the Froch-Abraham fight might not be the fight we want to see and both fighters would be through.
Akers is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #473
digregorio1.
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1575

just a couple points about the DQ

1. You could hear the ref when he disqualified Abraham explain that he had signalled for Abraham to stop fighting by saying "No,No" but this was while Arthur was half way threw throwing the punch so couldn't pull out

and

2. If the punch that landed on Dirrell didn't knock him out and he got up and was fine would the ref still hav disqualified Abraham?...my answer is no he would hav got warned or deducted a point, so does Dirrell getting KO'd by it justify the DQ or should the fight hav gone to the scorecards? (not that it would hav made any diff to the outcome)
digregorio1. is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #474
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by digregorio1. View Post
If the punch that landed on Dirrell didn't knock him out and he got up and was fine would the ref still hav disqualified Abraham?...my answer is no he would hav got warned or deducted a point, so does Dirrell getting KO'd by it justify the DQ or should the fight hav gone to the scorecards? (not that it would hav made any diff to the outcome)
Look, if Dirrell was able to continue a point deduction would've sufficed.
That he was unable to continue justifies the DQ.
In the case of such instances the fight should never go to the scorecards.
What if Dirrell had been losing the fight?
Going to the scorecards would've denied him the opportunity to turn the fight in his favour.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #475
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I don't thnk Abrahams been exposed or whatnot, Dirrell was pefornibg well, Abraham was coming on strong late, scored a kd as well IMO.

Jones-Griffin was an anomaly; no doubt Abraham will bounce back from this.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #476
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Ok, just watched the fight.

Brilliant peformance from Dirrell, much better than he performed against Froch (even though I had him winning that fight). Threw good combinations and I liked his work to the body. However, there were some flaws, he was caught with his hands down a few times, backed up in straight lines with his guard down etc.

However, Dirrell did show a decent chin. There was a suggestion before that he had an iffy chin but he was caught by some good punches and coped well.

Now to the controversy - I don't think the punch from Abraham was intentional and nor do I think Dirrell was acting. It was clearly obvious that Dirrell was out cold even if there was a slightly delayed reaction.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #477
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

delayed reaction happens allot with head injurys.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #478
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

YEah, it was clearly legit; Dirrell took a moment to register and then spazzed out.

Dirrell WASN'T faking; Abraham ISN'T a cunt; these things happen every so often I'm afraid, shame it happened in a big fight.

Dirrell via points or Abraham via late stoppage wopuld've been better for boxing. But oh, well, a loss is nothing, both Abraham and Dirrell will come back from this hopefully.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum