Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
4themind
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can Mccall become WBC champ?

Yes, all they'd have to do is make an interim interim belt for him
4themind is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #17
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superheavyweight
If he beats Gomez?

What makes you guys think he can beat Gomez?

Gomez already schooled him.

Ok McCall has the greatest chin of all-time, but he’s just a slugger.

When has McCall ever out boxed a ‘boxer’ in his entire career?

Juan Carlos Gomez will be the next WBC heavyweight champion, and a 2-weight champ… he’s going to school the greatest chin of all-time (again), then he’s going to do the same to Peter… by then the aging Oleg would have retired from injuries.
Nothing has been said about Gomez, the question was supposed to consider his chances against WBC interim Champ Peter and WBC Titlist Maskaev... But if you look at the whole picture, he is a WBC international Champ and needs to win against Gomez to look forward to the aforementioned.

What makes me think that he can beat Gomez, besides the Cuban long period of inactivity ( and we've seen what happens in Klitschko vs Brester II), is fellow Cuban Yanqui Diaz who TKOed him shockingly and was beaten by Oliver. It's a matter of chins as you made it clear, even more so cause they're older, will move less and thus more open to blows.

Oliver McCall is a slugger and he can't box with finesse but that's why he gets the upper-hand, others work hard to build something - he just has to destroy what they come to produce... Unfair but Still Real.

Oliver McCall had a stiff boxing test by the hands of Larry Holmes in Chicago, Illinois and passed, didn't come through Bruno in Wembley but that is another story.

I always believed Juan Carlos Gomez would be the Dark Horse above 200-pounds, he certainly can repeat their first confrontation result and do the same to Peter in boxing terms... I also believe Oleg will not be back or if he gets back it'll be like Patterson vs Liston... Still, I say Gomez the Dark Horse, not the future HWT champ, how come? He has the ability, not just about the strength/resilience/experience at this weight or else what can prevent us from saying that David Haye is sure to become a 2 weight champ, let alone a cruiser champ?
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Of course he can, he hasn't lost an actual fight since Davarryll Williamson end before that one the rematch with Lewis.. that was over 10 years ago...

Who is going to deny him this time..?

If the likes of Chagaev and Brewster can win belts , McCall is extremely capable of becoming champ once more.. The only kind of kid who can stop him is a good fast Eddie Chambers or a motivated Arreola.. Klitschko is the best and he would be the hardest night Ollie would face , but i see him steering clear and grabbing a chance against one of the lesser holders.. Sultan would be ideal and even Sammy had better be on his A-Game..

Very interesting
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #19
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEBELIEVER 66
A 42 year old unpredictable former crackhead/drug addict, who has soundly beaten by Frank Bruno what seems like a 100 years ago, the fact that this is even a topic just shows that the Heavyweight division is seriously lacking in talent..

BTW- My money would be on Peter to whip Mccall..
It is not because he is one of the best, it is because he is getting a title shot for beating Sinan Samil Sam. The division is alright, but the sanctioning bodies are doing some damage.

Last edited by rendog67; 07-25-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion
It is not because he is one of the best, it is because he is getting a title shot for beating Sinan Samil Sam. The division is alright, but the sanctioning bodies are doing some damage.
... Specially as Jose Sulaiman promised Oliver and Samil Sam that the winner would get a shot at the HWT title, so should we assume Juan Carlos Gomez to get that guarantee if he beats Oliver like there is a direct line International-Interim-Main Title?... Then, Frank ****** mentioned the winner of Skelton and Sprott to get a crack too cause GB cannot be forgotten, and Germany and Russia, Vladimir Virchis also would cause he's the EBU representant in the first place... Too many promises, assumptions, injuries, postponements, very poor boxing action and still that rotten smell - what's that?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #21
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!

Oliver outboxed some decent fighters adequately , he has a good jab and knows how to throw hard shots off that jab.. He beat James Stanton with some clever boxing a few years ago in Miami, and more recently he picked and poked at a crafty Samil Sam ... He placed a power shot at Lewis (who has a very hard jab to get past) and made him re think his whole future..

I remember the Seldon fight, Seldon couldn't hit him with a bag of rice..
then in round 9 .. McCall handed Bruce his first ever loss..

He is a great boxer when he has to be, he just relies on power and granite too often.. He had to avoid the shots from a prime young Tyson in the gym round after round as cheif sparring partner.. he is a master of survival..

what u talkin bout....
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Loufatski
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presscot
McCall will wipe the floor with Wladima, and Sam Peterless on the same night.
Let's not get crazy now...
Loufatski is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #23
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Yes, he can
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #24
Loufatski
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogDog69
Hell yes!...HW division sucks a high hard one right now!
Why does it suck? ... because Tyson and Lewis are out?? Lots of people say that but I think the division is fine!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #25
Loufatski
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEBELIEVER 66
A 42 year old unpredictable former crackhead/drug addict, who has soundly beaten by Frank Bruno what seems like a 100 years ago, the fact that this is even a topic just shows that the Heavyweight division is seriously lacking in talent..

BTW- My money would be on Peter to whip Mccall..
I don't see McCall around for long...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #26
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loufatski
Why does it suck? ... because Tyson and Lewis are out?? Lots of people say that but I think the division is fine!
Well it definitely hurts the division when there isnt a reconized champ, it also hurts that the titles change hands so fast anymore, just think less than 2 years we had completely different champs. We had Ruiz, Bryd, Brewster, Rahman.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #27
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
Oliver outboxed some decent fighters adequately , he has a good jab and knows how to throw hard shots off that jab.. He beat James Stanton with some clever boxing a few years ago in Miami, and more recently he picked and poked at a crafty Samil Sam ... He placed a power shot at Lewis (who has a very hard jab to get past) and made him re think his whole future..

I remember the Seldon fight, Seldon couldn't hit him with a bag of rice..
then in round 9 .. McCall handed Bruce his first ever loss..

He is a great boxer when he has to be, he just relies on power and granite too often.. He had to avoid the shots from a prime young Tyson in the gym round after round as cheif sparring partner.. he is a master of survival..

what u talkin bout....
I suppose you r talkin to me... Big Cat, Oliver looks like a mummy and his body is becoming soft around the waist band... Crafty Samil Sam, that fatso, won't y'all please gimme a break?...Bruce Seldon, how many years ago was that?... If McCall is amaster of survival, he looked pretty vulnerable against Bruno, Lewis and others, even against Yanki Diaz he seldom used the jab and was worthless in circling and using lateral movement, just caught him with that uppercut... I don't know what all those years sparring with Tyson made to him, but I wanted McCall for Evander so that Holy could step up to Peter and Maskaev... Forgive me, Big Cat, but this last post can't be yours, you know better than that!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #28
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I guess when Oliver is a close friend i can get a bit blinkered, I hope he gets his opportunity again, but he is not as zippy as in 1989.. I wish that damn jab would emerge again, don't hate him for having a fat belly, he is not a spring chikn no mo.. I do feel though that he has a chance of a belt aganst the right cat..

I just hope the best for him.. He has come a long way..

(He would give Evander fits if he was on his A-Game..) but you never know with Evander he seems rejuvinated.

God bless..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #29
gutto
Contender
ESB Senior Member

with the heavy weight divison beeing so week any thing is possable
gutto is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
I guess when Oliver is a close friend i can get a bit blinkered, I hope he gets his opportunity again, but he is not as zippy as in 1989.. I wish that damn jab would emerge again, don't hate him for having a fat belly, he is not a spring chikn no mo.. I do feel though that he has a chance of a belt aganst the right cat..

I just hope the best for him.. He has come a long way..

(He would give Evander fits if he was on his A-Game..) but you never know with Evander he seems rejuvinated.

God bless..
God bless you Big Cat and Oliver McCall, you are genuine man and I wish Oliver the best... Unfortunatelly there r a lot of guys just joking around and I feel I am a bit naive for takin sum things serious here like capfunds, I am really looking for a miracle next sat night and get touchy. Pardon.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum