apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default NEW James J. Corbett book

Check out my new book: In the Ring With James J. Corbett

It is available at lulu.com. See
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Those who enjoyed my John L. Sullivan book will enjoy this one. It is $30 paperback, $45 hardback. The preface and intro are available for review.

This is the second book in Adam J. Pollack’s series on the heavyweight champions of the gloved era. It is the most thoroughly researched boxing-detailed biography on James J. Corbett’s career ever written. It reveals new dates, bouts, and facts, shedding fresh light on his experience, skills, and ability. It meticulously describes his bouts and provides multiple viewpoints by local next day newspapers, giving it unparalleled authenticity and accuracy. The exhaustive research provides an encyclopedic wealth of knowledge about Corbett’s boxing career. His bouts are placed into social, legal, racial, and historic contexts, including anti-prize fighting laws and the color line. A complete record of Corbett’s career is included. 435 pages, 51 photos, 820 footnotes, bibliography, index.

Adam J. Pollack is a staff writer for Cyberboxingzone.com, vice chair of USA Boxing’s Judicial Committee and a member of its Women’s Task Force. He is also a boxing coach and attorney living in Iowa City, Iowa.

apollack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: NEW James J. Corbett book

I just ordered my copy. It better be bloody brilliant is all i can say, I haven't spent that much on a book since I "graduated".

McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Arthur
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Awesome. look forward to reading it mate.
Arthur is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Langford
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I thought the Sullivan book was really good, Adam. I am really looking forward to the Corbett book, now. Are you planning on writing about all the champions or John L and Gent. Jim, only?

If you are writing about Jeffries, it will be hard to top Kelly Nicholson's "A Man Amongst Men" which I really liked. Also, you will have your hands full with trying to come up with a book more than ten pages long about Marvin Hart!

Thanks for the writing.
Langford is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langford
I thought the Sullivan book was really good, Adam. I am really looking forward to the Corbett book, now. Are you planning on writing about all the champions or John L and Gent. Jim, only?

If you are writing about Jeffries, it will be hard to top Kelly Nicholson's "A Man Amongst Men" which I really liked. Also, you will have your hands full with trying to come up with a book more than ten pages long about Marvin Hart!

Thanks for the writing.
He's currently working on a James Jeffries and a Bob Fitzsimmons Book.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

I've said before, I'll say it again - these are great books, real "boxing fan" books. None of the fluff you get in most boxing books, but ALL the details about their boxing careers, from primary sources. If the Sullivan book is any indication, I am sure this book is exceptionally well-researched and well-documented. Can't wait to read it.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langford

Thanks for the writing.
Thank you for all the kind words, everyone. Yes, this will be an ongoing series. Fitz is next. Nicholson's book was good. Mine will be better. I already have over 100 pages written on Marvin Hart, an underappreciated champion. This guy was all action and a big puncher with a good chin. Kind of like a Gatti type. Underappreciated.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

adam, after fitzsimmons, jeffries is next?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yup. Jeff will follow Fitz. All written with the same detail and thoroughness, based on next day local and national reports. Be sure to post your reviews. Thanks.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
Yup. Jeff will follow Fitz. All written with the same detail and thoroughness, based on next day local and national reports. Be sure to post your reviews. Thanks.
one more question. is the john sullivan book still avaiable? if so can i have the link to it?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Do Henry Pearce down the line lol. Its about time he is due for a book.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

John L. Sullivan: The Career of the First Gloved Heavyweight Champion is available at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

More specifically,

In the Ring With James J. Corbett is available at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

More specifically,

The hardback version will be available again in a couple of days. I removed it temporarily because I'm dealing with isbn issues. Bottom line is I'm not going to get an isbn because if I do it would mean I'd only make $3.00 per book. I'll spare you the details.

Last edited by apollack; 06-19-2007 at 02:27 PM.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

My review of Adam's 'John L. Sullivan - The Career of the First Gloved Heavyweight Champion' book.

John L. Sullivan had become a mythical figure long before he decided to quit the ring. Mythical in both his status as quite possibly the greatest athlete there was in the 19th century, and in the number of stories or legends about him, which were not always true. One of the biggest examples of the latter was that he was primarily a bareknuckle fighter.

A lot was written about Sullivan, some books focusing on him exclusively, some dedicating a chapter to his role in the history of heavyweight boxing. But too often they focused primarily on his biggest fights and on his personality, and offered little about his lesser-known fights and opponents. There wasn't one book that stood out as the consensus best about him. Some preferred his autobiography, some thought Isenberg's 'John L. Sullivan and His America' was best and most thoroughly researched, while some chose Chidsey's 'John the Great' for his writing style.

And while the question about the best description of his personality and his life remains unanswered, it seems to be consensus opinion now that the best book on him as a fighter is the one written by Adam J. Pollack. It's hard to disagree with that.

The author of 'John L. Sullivan - The Career of the First Gloved Heavyweight Champion' reveals his goals from the very beginning:

- present facts and analysis that is based mostly on primary sources;
- provide multiple views where there's a discrepancy between different sources and let the reader decide which of them seems to be closer to truth;
- discuss his opponents, to provide insight into significance of each fight;
- describe the way Sullivan developed as a fighter, his skills and abilities, providing opinions of both his critics and his followers and fans;
- describe the epoch when he fought, and his influence on the course of history in general, and the history of boxing in particular.

The book fulfills these tasks nearly perfectly. The efforts Adam J. Pollack has put into his research is visible from the start, the number of sources and the quality of them is immense, and the way he treats them as a true historian, with excellent objectivity and neutrality, that are not at all clouded by his affection to the object of his research.

The fighting record of Sullivan not only grows in size and rids of multiple errors as compared to any other version that has been compiled before, but it stops being just a list of names on paper too. The author carefully paints images of many of them, who they were and how significant was their role on the boxing scene.

And even though Adam J. Pollack has decided to concentrate only on that part of Sullivan's life that is relevant to his fighting career, the personality of this great pugilist becomes much clearer after reading this book than can be achieved from reading of any other books on him. Dislike of bareknuckle rules; lack of passion for boxing later in his career, drawing the color line and the indecision about his position on it - all these points are discussed in detail.

It can be only criticized the way the book ends at the Corbett fight, without much discussion on it and on what happened to Sullivan afterwards, but this is easily excused by the fact that the author is going to continue and finish the story of Sullivan in his later books, one of which has already been finished and is available via lulu.com, and supposedly discusses the conqueror of Sullivan, James J. Corbett, as thoroughly as the book being reviewed discusses Sullivan. It’s called: In the Ring With James J. Corbett.

In all, the book is a must-have for any follower of the 'sweet science', and fully deserves a place on the shelf with the best books ever written on boxing.

Last edited by Senya13; 06-20-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

great review senya
Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Nice review Senya maybe i'll pick one up...wait and see if Corbett agrees with me first though.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum