Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #31
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: NEW James J. Corbett book

It is available in both hard and paper. Hard is $45. Paper is $30.

McGrain, be sure to let me know what you think of it. Thanks though for the preliminary plug.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #32
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
It wilil be addressed in the Jeffries volume. Sit tight.
you big tease
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #33
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

I just started the book, and so far it seems every bit as impressive as the Sullivan book. Like the Sullivan book it provides some excellent context at the outset, and really gives a good sense of what the game was like in the late 19th century. And this time you have a choice of a relatively inexpensive paperback, as opposed to the higher priced Sullivan book. Based on what I've read so far, I highly recommend it.
Zakman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #34
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This from Jason Simons:

"I finished In The Ring With James J. Corbett and, once again, I am VERY impressed. This is a scholarly work worthy of any boxing library. Adam Pollack has done an amazing job with the research and does a good job showing the backgrounds behind the fights and doing as good a job as possible recreating the fights themselves, since, except for a staged bout that not much footage exists from, the fights were not filmed. He has to use eyewitness accounts and newspaper excerpts to recreate the fights and does a very good job with this. I found the descriptions of Corbett's involvement with Joe Choynski particularly fascinating. Once again, like in the Sullivan book, Corbett's personal life is barely and almost never touched upon, but that's fine here. The title indicates that the book deals with the ring life of Corbett and it most certainly achieves that. I definitely look forward to the Fitzsimmons and Jeffries volumes that are mentioned as coming out in the future."
apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #35
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

adam, do you have in mind in writing a jack johnson book in the future?
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #36
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If I get that far....It would be in the same style of my other books - focus on his boxing life - not so much on the out of ring life unless and to the extent that it affected his in the ring life. There are more than enough books on Johnson's personal life, so maybe my type of book is what is needed, because I don't think anyone has ever truly focused on his career on a fight by fight basis.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #37
Mike South
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Maybe you could write a companion to your Sullivan book that gives us an idea of what kind of a person he was out of the ring so that when we read the play-by-play book we can get an idea of who we're reading about?
Mike South is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #38
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I truly believe the best way to learn about the man is by what he says about the fight game, himself, his opponents, and most improtantly, how he conducts himself as a fighter in the ring, and who he fights and doesn't fight. The rest is often mostly b.s. and is not as revealing. I feel that you do indeed get a feel for Corbett and Sullivan as people through my books, although not in the conventional way. But I think I paint a truer picture of who they were inside.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #39
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
McGrain, be sure to let me know what you think of it. Thanks though for the preliminary plug.
Great job.

Well done to you, sir.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #40
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
McGrain, be sure to let me know what you think of it.
In The Ring With James Corbett is a book that has been written by an attorney. It's hard for me to advise you to do anything that might make an attorney richer, but I have to tell you that this book is worth the cover price and more.

What is most interesting is Adam's angle - it's about the boxing, and all the way to the hilt. This makes for a slow start, as Corbett, the most professional of amatuers, tours the country making a bit of sly cash under a pseudonym so as not to jeprodise his attatchment to the Olympic sporting club, which sounds like a hell of a place. Even these earlier fights are treated with tender loving care by the writer and it is interesting to read the boxer's words regarding his early experiences.
Early in my experience I used to be fond of parrying blows. I found that they would sometimes get through my guard in spite of everything. Then I began to rely upon my legs and eyesight. I found it a great deal better plan...

This ties in with Adam's exhaustive post fight analysis of the Sullivan-Corbett duel and there is a real sense of the book "coming together" as you read. There is a complete picture of Corbett and no mistake.

Once the book lifts of, it's almost impossible to put down. Adam doesn't drop any sauce into his accounts of the great Corbett battles, he understands the drama exsists regardless and so we are treated to little opinion or speculation but we do get multiple sources for each round of the Corbett-Peter Jackson war of May, 1891.

The coverage is exhaustive and I can honestly say that I have a real sense of what occured in this fight with having ever being able to see it and that's a treat.

The Sullivan fight is treated as a near Holy thing with multiple sources (including The New Orleans Daily Picayune, The New Orleans Times-Democrat, Birminghan Age Herald, The New York Times, New York Herald and New York Sun) compressed into one thrilling account so thrilling it's the closest thing to watching the fight you could ever experience.

After this fight we run into the books limitations a little bit. There is nothing about how Corbett celebrated, what women he saw, what his family made of the events, how quickly he recovered (though he was at the "sparring" not long after)...pretty much none of that. To some that will be a relief, but I felt it was a shame. However, give Adam credit - he set out to write a book purely about boxing and that's what he's done, regardless of the temptation to do otherwise here.

And the book soon goes into overdrive again. Jackson had the sore end of his draw with Corbett but it was a draw, and Jackson was very much the #1 contender - now followed a fascinating rhetorical joust between Corbett's people, Jackson's people and the society of the day as to whether and where a fight between the two should take place. This part of the book - relevant because it concerns making a fight - is my favourite, with astonishing insights into the colour politics of the time through the windown of contempory accounts. Nowhere does Adam judge Corbett but nor does he duck "Gentleman Jim's" conduct in this matter.

I submit that the details concerning the attempts to make the failed Jackson fight are worth the price alone.

Although there is an inevitable sense of "those days were better" in the tone - inevitable because the writer has to descibe scenes like this one, where Corbett and Sullivan spar (long before their fight):
...the boxers wore large gloves, their dinner outfits, including their vests, pants, shirtsleeves, collars and neckties, to the surprise of the spectators. They barely ruffled each other's hair over the 3 rounds...

But nevertheless Adam keeps a very reasonable detatchment from proceedings, probably because his subject runs directly into the next one - Fitzimmons. That book will be a treat, I suspect, though the one i'm looking forward to most is Jeffries.

So just tell yourself that Adam Pollack is most likely a human rights lawyer of some sort and order the book

Details in the thread.

9/10
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #41
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
I truly believe the best way to learn about the man is by what he says about the fight game, himself, his opponents, and most improtantly, how he conducts himself as a fighter in the ring, and who he fights and doesn't fight. The rest is often mostly b.s. and is not as revealing. I feel that you do indeed get a feel for Corbett and Sullivan as people through my books, although not in the conventional way. But I think I paint a truer picture of who they were inside.
I thoroughly agree. I'm now about 130 pages into the book, and I already have a far clearer picture of Corbett than I did before. THe way in which a fighter conducts himself in the ring, and how he goes about his career does say alot about him. As a boxing fan, too, this is what I am primarily interested in. I frankly have little interest in details of his personal life, and certainly no interest in his vaudeville or acting careers.

The approach taken in these books is refreshing in that it is purely factually-based, with minimal speculation, and none of the historical distortions or errors typically found in boxing books. Most of all, I enjoy the focus on BOXING. I look forward to reading the next two-thirds of the book.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #42
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tracy Callis' review is now available.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #43
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

hey adam, if you do get to jack johnson, would you also present your views on him based on the films of his fights? correct me if I'm wrong but johnson is the first 'filmed' heavyweight champion where theres a lot of on film action of him.

I hope you at least get to johnson personally.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #44
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

All depends on how well received my series is. If the demand is there, I'll continue. If not, I'm only going up to Tommy Burns.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:49 AM   #45
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
All depends on how well received my series is. If the demand is there, I'll continue. If not, I'm only going up to Tommy Burns.
Interestingly, you may need to hit Johnson to "cross over".

But it's fighters like Greb, Burley, Wills, McVey who wold benefit the most from the "Pollack treatment".

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum