Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Has the Super Six been a complete farce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Ishy. I'm a positive person. I love life to the max

Please tell me who has gained as a result of this tournament?
Ward.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoc175 View Post
I think that will make fighters, particularly younger ones, reluctant to enter into this format in future if they get the opportunity
Then we'll know not to bother investing our time in contemplating whether those fighters are good, potentially great or not. To be the best you have to beat the best. Bute's stock will lower as the Super 6 winner emerges.

He has no genuinely quality opponents out there for him really. Nit as consistently as the entrants do anyway. He's also perceived by some to be ducking the major players, which is never good for a fighters reputation.

So if certain fighters are put off by the prospect of losing their '0' I say **** 'em, I'll watch the 'proper' fighters punch it out
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I'd like to think a similar format would be put in place in other divisions - the ones that have less depth would be a good experiment..... because it could crown one champion, and in the meantime allow some worthy contenders to emerge whilst ridding the weaker ones.

Would love for an oligarch like Abramovic to buy the main three alphabets and run boxing properly in conjunction with the TV companies.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Er........... no?

Its not been perfect and could still fall apart yet. But do you really think these fights would've been made without this tournament?
Exactly, it's been great for the sport overall despite a few challenges.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Ward has the perfect style to beat Frochy I think.

Although Abraham will bang Frochy out Brutally and I'll be afraid to watch
the fight when it comes around.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Dirrell lost a close one in his first shot at a world title and instead of taking a tune up or something he went in with one of the most feared punchers in the world and produced a career best performance,

Kessler suffered a devastating lost but is now straight in against Froch. No easy fights in between, just tough fight after tough fight.

It's great for boxing.
Agreed.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I thionk its has been brilliant idea- look how many top notch 50/50 fights we have had in such a short space of time and promise to have in the future.
supremo is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
djoc175
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Then we'll know not to bother investing our time in contemplating whether those fighters are good, potentially great or not. To be the best you have to beat the best. Bute's stock will lower as the Super 6 winner emerges.

He has no genuinely quality opponents out there for him really. Nit as consistently as the entrants do anyway. He's also perceived by some to be ducking the major players, which is never good for a fighters reputation.

So if certain fighters are put off by the prospect of losing their '0' I say **** 'em, I'll watch the 'proper' fighters punch it out
I'm not saying they'll be put off by the prospect of losing their undefeated record.

Take Dirrell for example-let's say he fought Froch for the WBC title under more 'normal' circumstances and lost, his next fight certainly wouldn't be against AA. It must be a worry for fighters and promoters, especially when these fighters are young and entering the tournament with fewer than 20 pro fights-after 22 fights he'll have more miles on the clock than he'd have otherwise.

It's just a thought-I'm all in favour of this format. It's a great concept but these things must go through promoters' minds
djoc175 is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I mean...the matchups are a fans DREAM! It's absurd in this day and age.

And the odd results so far. Froch-Dirrell, Taylor withdrawing, Watd dominating Kessler, Abraham being DQ'd, it all makes it more puzzling. We thought a pattern would emerge but everything thus far has been surprising?

Consistent fireworks? No. But as fighters gain the top scalps certain fighters will emerge as amongst the best in the division. But who knows what state they will be in? Will one of the finalists have got a gift in the semis? What sorta styles clash will it be? Maybe a rematch we HAD to see?

This is what makes it terrific. Anything can happen. Don't think Green will do
much at all, but he can whack a bit so will at least make things interesting. He isn't always fan friendly though, Id have preferred Bika. Ugly and crude but always comes to fight and has at least given Calzaghe a tough fight.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'm not saying they'll be put off by the prospect of losing their undefeated record.

Take Dirrell for example-let's say he fought Froch for the WBC title under more 'normal' circumstances and lost, his next fight certainly wouldn't be against AA. It must be a worry for fighters and promoters, especially when these fighters are young and entering the tournament with fewer than 20 pro fights-after 22 fights he'll have more miles on the clock than he'd have otherwise.

It's just a thought-I'm all in favour of this format. It's a great concept but these things must go through promoters' minds
I know what you're saying, but ifsay Ward retires after 30 fights, the quality he may have amassed might not have been achieved in a super six-less career with 45 fights.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
conan666
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Er........... no?

Its not been perfect and could still fall apart yet. But do you really think these fights would've been made without this tournament?
i agree froch vs kessler would have taken years to make!
conan666 is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #27
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I think the best thing about the super six is that 'well timed step up' has been brutally exposed as a myth. neither Ward nor Dirrell would have been considered ready to 'step up' but both proved they belonged in world class.

This should happen more domestically.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
conan666
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

good point kelly pavlik said the same thing it was something along the lines of ( let them guys all beat each other up for peanuts)
conan666 is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #29
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan666 View Post
good point kelly pavlik said the same thing it was something along the lines of ( let them guys all beat each other up for peanuts)
Kelly Pavlik should shut the **** up and learn how to box.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #30
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

everyone's talking about, so its been the opposite of a disaster
cheekyvid is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum