Pachilles is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Nigel Benn @MW

not a good fight for Roberto. Benn was quicker than most people think. And quicker than Roberto when Roberto was a middleweight when Benn was. Benn showed how much quicker than Barkley he was.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZtTnBo61fM[/ame]
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

haha picked Duran KO, while meaning to pick Benn ko, Benn was a prodigy of a MW with his speed/power/intensity/strength, he wrecks duran at mw
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Can someone tell me what happened again when Benn stepped up in class at middleweight and fought guys who didnt fold inside a few rounds with him?

I cant for the life of me remember.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Great Post thanks i have never seen this What year was this filmed?

Ok im definetly taking and 80s MW Duran over Benn be a little tougher for a late 80s Duran but the one that fought Hagler to a very close fight would Stop Benn i have no doubt about that, to slippery(as seen on the Video) also his Chin was top notch dont put so much on the Hearns loss. Style wise Benn is nothing like Hearns. Also Benn at MW would be picked apart by Duran he would come in to one dimensional. I see Benn doing well early but by the 5th Duran would start picking him apart and by the 8th he would start putting giving Benn a lesson he would stop Benn in the 10th. Style wise a wrong match up for Benn.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
haha picked Duran KO, while meaning to pick Benn ko, Benn was a prodigy of a MW with his speed/power/intensity/strength, he wrecks duran at mw
Man your under estimating Duran, I know this was just a sparring match but did you see the way a chubby Duran slipped Benns shots even playing with him? It would take a hell of a lot more than Speed/Power/Intensity/( Duran wasnt no slow poke at Mw)to beat Duran especially with Benn one dimensional attack, unless you are commparing the 90s version i dont see Benn having much of a chance here. Re watch the Hagler-Duran fight and tell me if you still have the same opinion.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If Nigel takes it easy, he'll win by late TKO. The Dark Destroyer is a natural MW and too strong for the smaller Duran.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
not a good fight for Roberto. Benn was quicker than most people think. And quicker than Roberto when Roberto was a middleweight when Benn was. Benn showed how much quicker than Barkley he was.
Why doesnt your opinion surprise me Speed isnt even that important in this fight based on Styles Duran is moons better in the boxing skills department even at MW. Compare the Hagler version. But you know what even the Barkley version of Duran takes Benn.
Even in their sparring session Duran evaded almost everything Benn was throwing at him and he was throwing fast, Benn showed alot of aggression but he wasnt landing. Benn would have done good early but got dominated by the mid rounds and kod in the late rounds.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

A slow and old Duran gets outhustled by Benn
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #11
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Why doesnt your opinion surprise me Speed isnt even that important in this fight based on Styles Duran is moons better in the boxing skills department even at MW. Compare the Hagler version. But you know what even the Barkley version of Duran takes Benn.
Even in their sparring session Duran evaded almost everything Benn was throwing at him and he was throwing fast, Benn showed alot of aggression but he wasnt landing. Benn would have done good early but got dominated by the mid rounds and kod in the late rounds.
I saw that sparring session clip. Duran was getting hit and Benn was quicker. Benn's strength was not power it was being able to land fast hooks with speed. He had incredible speed, and if a guy is there on the inside with him I am not sure that would be great for Duran. As great as Duran was on the inside, Benn would be teeing off on Duran and wearing him out in a fight I see similar to Dewitt vs. Benn. Almost the same fight with Duran maybe scoring a knockdown, but eventually being worn out and being stopped. Barkley was the best matchup Duran could have ever had for a title. Duran got lucky. He fought an inside fight with a slower fighter. Barkley was made for him. Benn would not be.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
problem with that scenario of Duran taking over and winning in the later rounds, with Barkley he could. He was just as fast as Barkley on the inside, but with Benn. Benn would always be quicker and landing punches. Duran would be getting hit clean. I do not see him beating Benn. Everything works out bad for him in this matchup in the late 80's early 1990s.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 AM   #13
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
problem with that scenario of Duran taking over and winning in the later rounds, with Barkley he could. He was just as fast as Barkley on the inside, but with Benn. Benn would always be quicker and landing punches. Duran would be getting hit clean. I do not see him beating Benn. Everything works out bad for him in this matchup in the late 80's early 1990s.
Yeah but why are you comparing the faded MW version of the late 80s? Great win for Duran over Barkley but even at MW that was a faded version of the one who gave Hagler all he wanted or beat up Davey Moore. How do you think that version of Duran does? Also Benn was kind of green and not polished at MW, better puncher and maybe faster than at SM but not too polished and one dimensional.

Watch that sparring session again i didnt see Duran getting hit too much he seemed to slide or dodge all of them and Duran looked chubbier there than he was in fighting shape.
What makes you think Duran would get stopped by Benn? Believe it or not Durans chin is a little underrated by most. Im surprised that ive seen people pick DUran to be knocked out in some of these fantasy matchups,based on the Hearns fight. No one else ever seriously hurt the man. Except Joppy but that dont count as Duran was 70 years old.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah but why are you comparing the faded MW version of the late 80s? Great win for Duran over Barkley but even at MW that was a faded version of the one who gave Hagler all he wanted or beat up Davey Moore. How do you think that version of Duran does? Also Benn was kind of green and not polished at MW, better puncher and maybe faster than at SM but not too polished and one dimensional.

Watch that sparring session again i didnt see Duran getting hit too much he seemed to slide or dodge all of them and Duran looked chubbier there than he was in fighting shape.
What makes you think Duran would get stopped by Benn? Believe it or not Durans chin is a little underrated by most. Im surprised that ive seen people pick DUran to be knocked out in some of these fantasy matchups,based on the Hearns fight. No one else ever seriously hurt the man. Except Joppy but that dont count as Duran was 70 years old.
I just assumed that is the Duran who they were matching with Benn, since he sparred Nigel in the late 1980's and he fought Barkley in the late 1980's. The only time Benn would have fought Duran was about 1990. The Duran who fought Hagler in 1983 beats Benn by late knockout. I agree. But I thought this was a what if they fought when both could fight each other. The timing was there.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #15
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I just assumed that is the Duran who they were matching with Benn, since he sparred Nigel in the late 1980's and he fought Barkley in the late 1980's. The only time Benn would have fought Duran was about 1990. The Duran who fought Hagler in 1983 beats Benn by late knockout. I agree. But I thought this was a what if they fought when both could fight each other. The timing was there.
Fair enough then.

As for the 89 version im still taking Duran although not as confident as the 83 version. Even the 89 version is probably to wiley for Benn, but im only 60/40 on that one versus 90/10 on the 83 version.
anarci is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum