Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #46
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Nigel Benn @MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
love how you're seeing positives for Duran in this sparring sessions, anarci. Duran's being chosen here is ****ing ridiculous
If what you are writing here is true,then just why,oh why,on God's Green Earth did you begin this thread in the first place.If you are certain you are correct in your statements,then did you begin this thread-as a nuthugging thread,perhaps?Why have the ****ing debate,then,in the first place?"Duran's being chosen here is ****ing ridiculous"WHAAAAT?YOU STARTED THE THREAD!

Last edited by Clinton; 03-30-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Clinton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #47
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just for the record,at middleweight,Benn was ko'd by Chris Eubanks and Michael Watson,who in HIS very next fight,was stopped by Mike McCallum.Benn had a tremendous heart,heavy hands and good speed,but his boxing IQ is nowhere near Duran's.I remember when he fought Watson,he tried on a few occasions to feign injury in order to draw Michael in,but Watson wasn't fooled.The Duran that fought Hagler in '83 laughs at such tactics and outboxes Benn all night long.The Duran of later years gets beaten by better-at-supermiddleweight-than-middleweight and much younger Benn.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #48
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I saw that sparring session clip. Duran was getting hit and Benn was quicker. Benn's strength was not power it was being able to land fast hooks with speed. He had incredible speed, and if a guy is there on the inside with him I am not sure that would be great for Duran. As great as Duran was on the inside, Benn would be teeing off on Duran and wearing him out in a fight I see similar to Dewitt vs. Benn. Almost the same fight with Duran maybe scoring a knockdown, but eventually being worn out and being stopped. Barkley was the best matchup Duran could have ever had for a title. Duran got lucky. He fought an inside fight with a slower fighter. Barkley was made for him. Benn would not be.
Even the Duran of '83 would get hit as easily as DeWitt-who was never that great in the first place-and beaten as easily?Nah.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #49
Doc Dynamo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Benn by KO.

I can't understand anyone picking the 80s Duran against any top MW. By my count Duran's record at JM/MW/SM thru 1989 was 13 and 6 with 5 KOs (Hands of stone? not at this weight) In championship fights at these weights he was 2 and 4.

He looked great against Davey Moore--a fighter with 12 total pro bouts at the time. He got a spit decison against Barkely. He looked good against Hagler, but I thought Hagler still won the fight easily and most of the boxing writers at the time agreed with me. These are the high points. But he also lost to Laing and Sims.

Duran's conditioning was inconsistent throughout his MW years. He could lose to any good MW just by being out of condition. Even at his best at this weight he wasn't great.
Doc Dynamo is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 AM   #50
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Even the Duran of '83 would get hit as easily as DeWitt-who was never that great in the first place-and beaten as easily?Nah.
I rarely defend Duran, but the Duran of 1983 was still quick enough and could compete with anyone like Hagler or Hearns. No way in 1983 would Benn overtake Duran with power, and Benn's stamina was never consistent, which you need to fight Duran since he knew when to pour it on- and Benn did not have lateral movement to keep Duran off. THe 1983 Duran stops Benn, but the 1989-1990 Duran in my mind loses to Benn by mid knockout. Those 5 years mean that much. Benn was good, but he could not compete with a younger Duran of the earlyl 1980's.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #51
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Dynamo View Post
Benn by KO.

I can't understand anyone picking the 80s Duran against any top MW. By my count Duran's record at JM/MW/SM thru 1989 was 13 and 6 with 5 KOs (Hands of stone? not at this weight) In championship fights at these weights he was 2 and 4.

He looked great against Davey Moore--a fighter with 12 total pro bouts at the time. He got a spit decison against Barkely. He looked good against Hagler, but I thought Hagler still won the fight easily and most of the boxing writers at the time agreed with me. These are the high points. But he also lost to Laing and Sims.

Duran's conditioning was inconsistent throughout his MW years. He could lose to any good MW just by being out of condition. Even at his best at this weight he wasn't great.
I am the first to admit Duran could not beat Hearns or Hagler or Benitez, and that he beat Moore and people give him too much credit. But Benn was not in the class of Hearns and Hagler and Benitez or Leonard. Not the early 1980's Duran. The late 1980's Duran needed the best style matchup he could to become champ, and he got it with Iran Barkley. The early 1980's Duran could have beaten Benn.
I agree Duran did lose to Marvin fairly easily, once Marvin poured it on in the later rounds.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #52
RafaelGonzal
Champion
East Side Guru

Why activate and relieve your Nigel Benn hardon with a thread like this?

How about Nigel in 1990 vs Holyfield at lightheavy.

Duran as a fighter was on a level where Benn didnt exist.
RafaelGonzal is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #53
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
No way if anything he is being given too much credit, but im glad you made the poll public because a few (not all) of the guys who picked Benn are either trolls or Duran haters, many of the ones who picked Duran are knowledgeable. Benn is Overrated !!!
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #54
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by themacallan View Post
He says that about every British fighter.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #55
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by es***boy View Post
He says that about every British fighter.
I going to try and act surprised, see if you can spot it.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #56
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
No way if anything he is being given too much credit, but im glad you made the poll public because a few (not all) of the guys who picked Benn are either trolls or Duran haters, many of the ones who picked Duran are knowledgeable. Benn is Overrated !!!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #57
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Benn's punching power was frightening back then.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #58
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Great Post thanks i have never seen this What year was this filmed?
January 1988.

Duran was genuinely shocked at Benn's natural talent and the fact he'd only been a pro boxer 12 months.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #59
tommythomas3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Great Post thanks i have never seen this What year was this filmed?

Ok im definetly taking and 80s MW Duran over Benn be a little tougher for a late 80s Duran but the one that fought Hagler to a very close fight would Stop Benn i have no doubt about that, to slippery(as seen on the Video) also his Chin was top notch dont put so much on the Hearns loss. Style wise Benn is nothing like Hearns. Also Benn at MW would be picked apart by Duran he would come in to one dimensional. I see Benn doing well early but by the 5th Duran would start picking him apart and by the 8th he would start putting giving Benn a lesson he would stop Benn in the 10th. Style wise a wrong match up for Benn.
I agree completely
tommythomas3 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum