Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 8025
Default If Paul Williams fought Mayweather........

I know most people want to avoid Paul Williams because he's an incredible tall welterweight, is left handed, and throws a ton of punches per round but if PBF were to get in the ring with Williams, who do you think will win?

I think it would be an interesting matchup. Any news on who Williams might fight next? He is being avoided by pretty much everyone is he not? I think the only guy who can really beat him is Cotto because he's so good at going to the body and he would have a lot to hit with Williams.

Your thoughts?
klion22 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If Paul Williams fought Mayweather........

Out of all of the welterweights I believe Shane and Williams have the best shot of beating Mayweather. I think the combination of everything that Paul has will bother Mayweather...it's one thing to be taller and have more reach than Mayweather but to have the ungodly punch output that he has along with the height and reach advantage is something I really see Floyd having problems handling. Some might say that Floyd's footwork would keep Paul off balance and keep him from throwing so many punches but Paul constantly throws punches whether his feet are set or not. If I had to bet money I would always put it on Mayweather but I would consider the fight a toss-up.
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLucas
Right now, Paul Williams is a little too green to go against PBF. He needs a few fights before going there.
Yeah, i agree. I was going to add that in my original post that he would still need some more experience to take on a guy like PBF. But assuming he does, i think he would give PBF trouble.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLucas
Right now, Paul Williams is a little too green to go against PBF. He needs a few fights before going there.
Yea his chances against Floyd will only increase with each fight. I'd like to see him fight someone about Floyd's size with comparable speed and see how he does. Maybe a Zab, Mosley, or Berto fight would help me get a better idea of who I think would win between Paul and Floyd.
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

On a side note, what is your take on Berto?

I saw him fight a couple of times including his last bout with Estrada and it looks like he's got all the tools. He's incredibly muscular for a welterweight and has very good hand speed. He also seems to have good power.

He looks sort of like a poor man's PBF. You guys think he can do some great things in the near future?
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
charlievint
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22
I know most people want to avoid Paul Williams because he's an incredible tall welterweight, is left handed, and throws a ton of punches per round but if PBF were to get in the ring with Williams, who do you think will win?

I think it would be an interesting matchup. Any news on who Williams might fight next? He is being avoided by pretty much everyone is he not? I think the only guy who can really beat him is Cotto because he's so good at going to the body and he would have a lot to hit with Williams.

Your thoughts?
I'd have to go with Mayweather just b/c he is the most talented and skilled fighter out there today...BUT, with that said Paul has the physical attributes and style to give Mayweather all kinds of problems. Not only that Floyd seems to be taking his craft a bit lightly as of late...partly b/c he's facing a guy that is tailor made for him like Hatton.

BUT ANYONE CAN LOOSE! Especially if he doesn't train up to par when facing a determined young fighter like a Paul Williams or a Ricky Hatton. Out of all the young guns out there Paul Williams has the stuff to hand Mayweather his first defeat....even a WELL prepared Mayweather!

If Mayweather was doing this dancing with the stars mess and it was paul he was suppose to be facing next I'd be betting my house that Paul pulls off the upset when they would meet b/c an ill-prepared Mayweather could not beat the punisher when he's at his BEST.
charlievint is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
charlievint
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I saw him fight a couple of times including his last bout with Estrada and it looks like he's got all the tools. He's incredibly muscular for a welterweight and has very good hand speed. He also seems to have good power.

He looks sort of like a poor man's PBF. You guys think he can do some great things in the near future?
Berto really impressed me in his last outing....I knew before he had the skills, speed, power and talent but he never put them all together like he did agaisnt Estrada. He didn't look like a poor mans Mayweather last time, he looked like a young and green Mayweather, but I see big things in Berto's future...if his handlers bring him along properly and keep him active.
charlievint is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Yea a poor man's PBF is a good way to describe him. I think he can do great things if just keeps gradually stepping up his level of competition. I assume though that if you watched the Estrada fight, you saw that he definitely needs to work on his defense.
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogDog69
Yea a poor man's PBF is a good way to describe him. I think he can do great things if just keeps gradually stepping up his level of competition. I assume though that if you watched the Estrada fight, you saw that he definitely needs to work on his defense.
I don't know that it was his poor defense. It's just that Berto has always been the aggressor and stronger fighter and when Estrada came forward, he didn't want to back up and was willing to trade. So that left him more open. It's not like he was getting tagged with clean shots time and time again. Well, earlier in the fight but again, i think it was more Berto willing to exchange more than a flaw in his game. He did take some good shots from Estrada early and they seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

He's another young kid to keep an eye on and this makes boxing more fun.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

The Only fights I have seen of williams was the mitchell and margarito fight but I couldn't saya if he could beat pbf because I was half asleep watching those fights.
john b is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogDog69
more like a poor mans judah.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:

Your thoughts?
Williams. Quite easily. I think he is the only one that can do it tho. And Floyd aint stupid, he wont make this fight happen.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Williams. Quite easily. I think he is the only one that can do it tho. And Floyd aint stupid, he wont make this fight happen.
shane mosley can do it too
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=klion22]I don't know that it was his poor defense. It's just that Berto has always been the aggressor and stronger fighter and when Estrada came forward, he didn't want to back up and was willing to trade. So that left him more open. It's not like he was getting tagged with clean shots time and time again. Well, earlier in the fight but again, i think it was more Berto willing to exchange more than a flaw in his game. He did take some good shots from Estrada early and they seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

He's another young kid to keep an eye on and this makes boxing more fun.[/quote]

Definitely!
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
shane mosley can do it too
I think what PBF is going to do with Shane is wait a year or two where Mosley's skills decline just enough where PBF is going to feel confident that he can outquick and outland him. And that will be the smart thing to do IMO.

Anyone else think this might be the case?
klion22 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum