Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835
Default Roy Jones Vs Bernard Hopkins

Is it as straight forward as a B-Hop win?

Roy has the one thing hopkins has shown he can't really deal with lately in a decent punch out put.

If roys chin holds up could this be a tight fight or is as good as a win for B-Hop
LHL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Roy Jones Vs Bernard Hopkins

Roy only really has his hand speed left but his reflexes are gone.

Is Roy's output really that good atm?

He's looked good against punching bags like Sheika and Lacy whereas Hopkins has been competing against top fighters. Even against Calzaghe who's really active, Bernard was still very competitive.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

C'mon LHL you're better then this.

I'm not even gonna try and analyse and dissect this gimmick of a match up, so i'll just digress.

Will there ever be another time in the US like the 80's and Britain in the 90's? When I went to Hopkins/Winky a few years back at Mandalay Bay, 7 out of 10 crowd goers were playing on their blackberry or star gazing. In the UK although a bit more buzz is generated there's still alotta empty seats and disinterest at shows. Not long ago 9 out of 10 mates would go to fights and leave their uninterested significant others at home; they would go with their like minded and fellow die hard friends and create an atmosphere of pure, raw boxing addiction. We use to have this unedited atmosphere back when Ray/Holmes/Benn/Eubank were ruling the airwaves!

As I say i digress because i cannot bring myself to comment on these guys pension collection.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Roy Jones' work rate was non-existent after 2 round against Calzaghe. Calzaghe put him on the defensive but you'd think if he had plenty to offer he would have thrown more.

Hopkins will win comfortably. Whichever way, KO or decision he'll win easily enough. The key difference is not going to be Roy Jones chin, its the fact he's lost his legs. Nowadays he just stands there, and when he defends he just uses a shell. That is going to make it pretty easy for Hopkins to suss him out, Hopkins still moves remarkably well.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

This is one fight I can't see as anything other than a B-Hop win. Close to a shutout too.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

This will be more balanced than some may predict.
Hops will test out Jones for the first four rounds, and Jones will use his speed (arms only)..it will be strategic and slow!
JIM KELLY is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

B-Hop I think... I would so like RJJ to win... Pecola Pecola Pecola...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
C'mon LHL you're better then this.

I'm not even gonna try and analyse and dissect this gimmick of a match up, so i'll just digress.

Will there ever be another time in the US like the 80's and Britain in the 90's? When I went to Hopkins/Winky a few years back at Mandalay Bay, 7 out of 10 crowd goers were playing on their blackberry or star gazing. In the UK although a bit more buzz is generated there's still alotta empty seats and disinterest at shows. Not long ago 9 out of 10 mates would go to fights and leave their uninterested significant others at home; they would go with their like minded and fellow die hard friends and create an atmosphere of pure, raw boxing addiction. We use to have this unedited atmosphere back when Ray/Holmes/Benn/Eubank were ruling the airwaves!

As I say i digress because i cannot bring myself to comment on these guys pension collection.
I was just looking to talk on a fight coming up and thought the Haye one would get enough soon.

I reckon Roy will be active for two or three rounds then B-Hop will start putting the rounds in the bank. Even against Lacy, Roy was throwing a good few arm punches but Lacy couldn't do anything seeing as he is shot worse than Roy these days.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Roy Jones' work rate was non-existent after 2 round against Calzaghe. Calzaghe put him on the defensive but you'd think if he had plenty to offer he would have thrown more.

Hopkins will win comfortably. Whichever way, KO or decision he'll win easily enough. The key difference is not going to be Roy Jones chin, its the fact he's lost his legs. Nowadays he just stands there, and when he defends he just uses a shell. That is going to make it pretty easy for Hopkins to suss him out, Hopkins still moves remarkably well.
Good points I was thinking Roy would steal a few rounds as B-Hop likes to take breaks but i think B-Hop might be a little more aggressive this week. If Roy puts that shell shit on in front of hopkins he is going to get messed up bad.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l235B8vEx6E[/ame]

Workrates : Roy Jones still has a better workrate than Bernard Hopkins just..! just..!

Movement: Bernard Hopkins has better movement and agility than Roy Jones at this stage of their careers, but Roy Jones can still be pretty allusive for 1 min of a round etc But he just can't sustain it anymore.

HandSpeed: Roy Jones still has better hand speed.

Combination punching: Roy Jones still puts punches together better, better than most fighters on the planet.

Power: Roy Jones i beleave has slightly better power...

The big game player in this fight, is that Bernard Hopkins now has the upper hand in the "Movement/mobility department"....

Ermmmmmmmmmmmm Roy Jones wins...

Why not..
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Primadonna, the Roy you're looking for is only found on Utube clips.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Primadonna, the Roy you're looking for is only found on Utube clips.

Explain please..
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 AM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

This is going to be one boring ass fight.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
I was just looking to talk on a fight coming up and thought the Haye one would get enough soon.

I reckon Roy will be active for two or three rounds then B-Hop will start putting the rounds in the bank. Even against Lacy, Roy was throwing a good few arm punches but Lacy couldn't do anything seeing as he is shot worse than Roy these days.

The saving grace is that very few fighters can turn a fight around with one single punch, especially anchored from the hip like Roy Jones. Even when Roy is 50 years old, he'll always have that leaping left hook which put Montel Griffin into Ambien and Lunesta Land! But to get this off, Roy will have to rely on a meaningful jab (which he doesn't have) and pop those lead rights..not always easy to do with a fox that is as crafty as hell and gives you every single geometrical angle in the Queensbury rules' pamphlet.

Roy is just THAT shot imo. Can't see how he avoids Hopkin's lunge right especially when Bernard uses the ropes to parlay that pole thrust. RJJ is relying too much on the peek-a-boo even in the center because he hasn't got the athleticism to bail himself out no more, this has me nervous we might see a bad KO because when facing such a precision puncher he'll have to nullify it with an orthodox rock stance.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Hopkins will carry Jones for 8-10 rounds then knock him out.

This fight, though I will be watching it at a friend's house, is a mis-match and, if B-Hop wanted to, he could end it in the 1st.
Lee Mc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum