Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Mancini vs. Gatti @135

Mancini was a slight class above Gatti, but oh this would be a war. Thoughts?
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Mancini vs. Gatti @135

Yes, a war where Ray's pedigree becomes obvious and Gatti goes batcrap on him, losing a decision or getting a knockout. You can never tell with Gatti. The man could punch. But probably nine of ten, Mancini just outclasses him. Maybe eight of ten.

Edit: 10, 12 or 15?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

15 would be interesting. Gatti at the lower weight could box when he wanted to and if he chose to fight like against Patterson it'd be interesting to see if he could maintain his discipline while negotiating the pressure Mancini would bring.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus View Post
15 would be interesting. Gatti at the lower weight could box when he wanted to and if he chose to fight like against Patterson it'd be interesting to see if he could maintain his discipline while negotiating the pressure Mancini would bring.
Yeah, Gatti had some underrated boxing skills, but when he got stunned or frustrated, goodbye boxing and hello kill-or-be-killed mode. Slam, bam, don't give a damn. I think that's the Gatti that would show up on Mancini. But maybe it'd be a lot closer than I can picture right now. It's an interesting match-up.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Pre Arguello Mancini whups Gatti , I think Arguello actually took a little out of him. He was still very good but lost a step, the post Arguello Mancini id still go with Boom Boom but id would be a very tough scrap and i wouldnt rule Gatti out either.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Mancini was a slight class above Gatti, but oh this would be a war. Thoughts?
Mancini was more accurate with his punches and a better fighter. Mancini TKO8 Gatti.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Gatti was going through a bad spot at 135 losing every fight so definately Mancini
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I envision a 14th round tko for Mancini in a battle that would have eclipsed even Ward-Gatti. The bout would have started relatively slowly with Mancini pressing Gatti, but showing enough respect to him to equal the respect Gatti would have had for him. Gatti would have accelerated the pace in the second, firing away at and hurting Mancini, maybe even cutting him in the process, and the war would have been on. Give and take, back and forth action..a dream fight for those who like rock 'em-sock 'em action from that point on, with both men suffering the wounds of battle to the eyes mostly and blood would flow freely from both men. All pretense of defensive boxing or technique would have fallen by the wayside. After being hurt and staggered in the 9th, Gatti would rally dramatically in the 10th and send Mancini to the seat of his pants for the fight's first knockdown. Mancini would retaliate furiously after this and return the favor just before the end of the 10th, which would have been a candidate for Round of the Year. The action would be antclimatic in the 11th with little effective offense from either man, but the 12th would see Gatti giving it his best shot, and would tear open a gash over one of Mancini's eyes, causing the ref and the ringside doctor to convener to examine the damage. The 13th would have been a reprise of the 10th, with nonstop and violent war between the two, and in the 14th, finally, after being backed into a corner, and after another look at the worsened gash by the ringside doctor, Mancini would end the fight with a big left hook..Gatti would rise before "10", but the ref would stop the fight with a bleeding and battered Gatti almost falling through the ropes. This is my scenario of what would be a great battle, a war between a proud, 2nd or 3rd tier champion and a slightly lesser, though equally proud warrior in Gatti.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It could have been possible for Gatti to engage Mancini in the same way he did Patterson, or in Ward 2 or 3, but with the title on the line, and especially against Mancini, I think he would have reverted to macho/overdrive and the more primitive side of him would come out.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I think Ray was considerably better than Gatti (RIP) . In addition, Gatti plays into Ray's sweet spot ... I just don't see Gatti going 14 rounds with a near prime Arguello , no way ...
he grant is online now  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mancini TKO Gatti in 10.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
I think Ray was considerably better than Gatti (RIP) . In addition, Gatti plays into Ray's sweet spot ... I just don't see Gatti going 14 rounds with a near prime Arguello , no way ...

I think Ray is just simply better than Gatti, and I'm a fan of both.

I think Ray wins by TKO in the mid to late stages.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I envision a 14th round tko for Mancini in a battle that would have eclipsed even Ward-Gatti. The bout would have started relatively slowly with Mancini pressing Gatti, but showing enough respect to him to equal the respect Gatti would have had for him. Gatti would have accelerated the pace in the second, firing away at and hurting Mancini, maybe even cutting him in the process, and the war would have been on. Give and take, back and forth action..a dream fight for those who like rock 'em-sock 'em action from that point on, with both men suffering the wounds of battle to the eyes mostly and blood would flow freely from both men. All pretense of defensive boxing or technique would have fallen by the wayside. After being hurt and staggered in the 9th, Gatti would rally dramatically in the 10th and send Mancini to the seat of his pants for the fight's first knockdown. Mancini would retaliate furiously after this and return the favor just before the end of the 10th, which would have been a candidate for Round of the Year. The action would be antclimatic in the 11th with little effective offense from either man, but the 12th would see Gatti giving it his best shot, and would tear open a gash over one of Mancini's eyes, causing the ref and the ringside doctor to convener to examine the damage. The 13th would have been a reprise of the 10th, with nonstop and violent war between the two, and in the 14th, finally, after being backed into a corner, and after another look at the worsened gash by the ringside doctor, Mancini would end the fight with a big left hook..Gatti would rise before "10", but the ref would stop the fight with a bleeding and battered Gatti almost falling through the ropes. This is my scenario of what would be a great battle, a war between a proud, 2nd or 3rd tier champion and a slightly lesser, though equally proud warrior in Gatti.
Very good post.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Very good post.
Thank you..
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Mancini was also a little underrated as a boxer (watch the 2nd Bramble fight in particular). And while not a defensive wizard, better than Gatti. Wouldn't shock me to see some Mancini-Frias fireworks. But Gatti's toughness would carry him through. I'll take Mancini, TKO 12.
natonic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum