Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #136
boxoncottonon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 850
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
I dunno, I don't think Haye would be able to tag Hopkins cleanly and Hopkins has always had a world class chin. Jones is always gonna be a bad style for Hopkins, he isn't aggressive and he has an awkward stance plus the quick hands. Haye would look plodding against Hopkins, as athletically gifted as he is as a heavyweight.
It's hard to agree with a such ill informed individual such as yourself.

Your above comments border on ridiculous.....wake up to yourself....stop drinking, have a shave and start looking for full time employment.
boxoncottonon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #137
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

Quote:
I just watched the fight and I don't know what everybody is going on about, Hopkins looked as good as ever and I thought Roy fought a good fight. Hopkins was never gonna walk through Roy, he's not that sort of fighter. It was a good fight, alot better than their first encounter for sure. Green beating Hopkins? Haha thanks for the laugh

If thats your idea of a good fight you need to see a doctor.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #138
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
Titans are and have always been the biggest pretenders out there.

Every try the Cows scored last night was met with no resistance whatsoever. It couldn't have been any easier.

Manly are coming along nicely though, and should be undefeated with the storm for now.

Parramatta are a joke and should be winless. I did expect the Sharks to be tough last night as I took them with the start in my multi, but 11-0

It's still early days fellas. September is a long way away.
Gee the Bunnies played well last night Pecks.

Great game.

Isaac Luke was every where.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #139
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoppaZoo View Post
Gee the Bunnies played well last night Pecks.

Great game.

Isaac Luke was every where.
Yeah agree....I said early in the year they would dust up some side and make the 8...they could even go a few spots higher
ashley is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #140
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxoncottonon View Post
It's hard to agree with a such ill informed individual such as yourself.

Your above comments border on ridiculous.....wake up to yourself....stop drinking, have a shave and start looking for full time employment.
See that's the problem, I bet you are the sort of person who thought Pavlik would walk through Hopkins, You probably thought Hopkins would walk through Jones. Styles make fights, just because a fighter stops a a past it small heavyweight you think he is some sort of monster. He's a fighter like everyone else, these guys aren't superheroes. Ill informed? Nice one
lefty is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #141
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post

If thats your idea of a good fight you need to see a doctor.
No it wasn't a good fight but it was a great boxing match between 2 legends who were doing things 99% of so called boxing fans would never notice.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #142
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Its heartening to know we have so many boxing illuminati on this board.

Great boxing match eh? Feint, feint, feint, feint, punch, grab & clutch. Repeat over twelve rounds.

Awesome to watch.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #143
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I just watched the fight and I don't know what everybody is going on about, Hopkins looked as good as ever and I thought Roy fought a good fight. Hopkins was never gonna walk through Roy, he's not that sort of fighter. It was a good fight, alot better than their first encounter for sure. Green beating Hopkins? Haha thanks for the laugh

Another compliment for you Lefty.
You're good for the game.
So easy pleased.
Here's what's wrong though. If Hopkins did what Green done, it would have been over just as quick.
Hopkins hasn't got the fuel in the tank to take the risk, so he rushed him in patches.
By the 4th round it became a snooze.
If that''s all it takes to qualify as a "Good fight" in your book, then keep paying.

Legends aside, it was ****ing tragic to see two Champions scrambling through the proceedure hoping to land one at best, & scrape home at worst.
I hope they both retire before they sell their soul & status ripping off fans.
Rodin is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #144
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS View Post
Its heartening to know we have so many boxing illuminati on this board.

Great boxing match eh? Feint, feint, feint, feint, punch, grab & clutch. Repeat over twelve rounds.

Awesome to watch.
Are you saying you can't appreciate the boxing skills and subtleties that these 2 legends of the game were demonstrating for twelve rounds? Maybe instead of drinking piss and keeping half an eye on the fight you should of ordered the fight at home, stayed off the grog and watched closely so maybe you could understand what you obviously don't understand.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #145
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
Another compliment for you Lefty.
You're good for the game.
So easy pleased.
Here's what's wrong though. If Hopkins did what Green done, it would have been over just as quick.
Hopkins hasn't got the fuel in the tank to take the risk, so he rushed him in patches.
By the 4th round it became a snooze.
If that''s all it takes to qualify as a "Good fight" in your book, then keep paying.

Legends aside, it was ****ing tragic to see two Champions scrambling through the proceedure hoping to land one at best, & scrape home at worst.
I hope they both retire before they sell their soul & status ripping off fans.
If Jones came in looking soft, undertrained and uninterested like he did against Green then maybe Hopkins could of punched Jones behind the head then slapped his arms after he got up until the ref stopped it but hey. Jones was prepared and came to fight. It was a good tactical match with more action than I expected aswell as a bit of drama.

Once a group of people make up there minds about how they are going to feel about something other people seem to copy and repeat what they heard because they've been led to believe that's how it is. Everybody went into this fight looking at it cynically and negatively and then they wonder why they didn't enjoy it. Can't people think for themselves? Did everybody expect Hopkins KO1? Are so called boxing fans really that dumb?
lefty is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #146
SexualPanda
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This was one of the worst fights I have ever seen (and that's saying something). On par with any Billy Dib fight (that's how bad it was).

Amazing how shot Jones is. Just cannot pull the trigger anymore. I just pray the guy hangs em up. As for Hopkins wanting David Haye for the HW title, he cannot be serious. If Hopkins takes one of the 1-2 combinations the Haymaker unleashed on Ruiz, I would fear for his life. Seriously.
SexualPanda is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #147
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Quote:
Are you saying you can't appreciate the boxing skills and subtleties that these 2 legends of the game were demonstrating for twelve rounds? Maybe instead of drinking piss and keeping half an eye on the fight you should of ordered the fight at home, stayed off the grog and watched closely so maybe you could understand what you obviously don't understand.
Actually I had two cuppas and later on I hit the hard stuff, a middy of coke.

Stop trying to dress it up, it was a steaming pile of shit and you're just trying to save face from your pre fight comments. Is there asything wrong with how I've described the fight? I even left out the academy award acting by Nard in the second half of the fight.

Yes, a truly legendary bout, one for the ages. People will talk about it in hushed, reverent tones, in years to come.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #148
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I bet the Ward v Gatti series put you to sleep?
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #149
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
If Jones came in looking soft, undertrained and uninterested like he did against Green then maybe Hopkins could of punched Jones behind the head then slapped his arms after he got up until the ref stopped it but hey. Jones was prepared and came to fight. It was a good tactical match with more action than I expected aswell as a bit of drama...
You really are living in denial about the Green KO of RJJ aren't you!

...and every time you try to further deny it, it just makes your knowledge of boxing worth less & less!

...FFS, ONCE & FOR ALL - GET OVER IT!
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #150
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If Jones came in looking soft, undertrained and uninterested like he did against Green then maybe Hopkins could of punched Jones behind the head then slapped his arms after he got up until the ref stopped it but hey. Jones was prepared and came to fight. It was a good tactical match with more action than I expected aswell as a bit of drama.

Once a group of people make up there minds about how they are going to feel about something other people seem to copy and repeat what they heard because they've been led to believe that's how it is. Everybody went into this fight looking at it cynically and negatively and then they wonder why they didn't enjoy it. Can't people think for themselves? Did everybody expect Hopkins KO1? Are so called boxing fans really that dumb?

Mate, you really have to get over your perception of the Jones Green fight to become objective.
I've been around this game for just under 60 years & I would never seriously demand that what I saw exceeded anyone elses perception.
If you watch a fight with a preconceived idea of what a fighter will do or try & do, 85% of the time, that's what will pan out in your mind.

It happens all the time.
I've heard numerous experienced ringside commentators call a fight but constantly interpret it the way they thought & said it would go.
When a fight starts to change direction against their selection, whether it's the brain or plain stubborness I don't know, but they are slow to observe the change & will invariably finish up 2-3 rounds behind on their scorecard.

What Green done is a strategy. Don't let the guy get into the fight. Keep hitting from all directions until they are in survvial mode & let the referee do the rest.
You might call it unsaticfactory but it ain't a farkin pie fight in there. They mean to seriously hurt each other & the last thing on their mind is making you happy.
Most saw the fight thus, Green drops Roy with a temple shot.
Roy's reaction (Scrambling for the ropes for assitance & no complaint to the referee whatsoever indicates that he was dropped badly)
The referee does not forget this.

He regains his feet & he goes into survival mode against the ropes, not throwing a punch after the temple shot.
A continuous barrage of punches follow without reply.
Many land on the gloves but Roy is pinned down taking upper cuts while several left & rights penetrate.
Green does some minor fouling in the frenzy, same as in almost every fight under the same conditions. (See Roy V Nard & everyone bagged Nard.)

The referee is 1 metre away. He knows, through the resonance of contact & the sounds the fighter makes, which punches are hurting & which are not.
Sometimes mate, it takes a tough or heartless referee to overcome the noise a beating makes.

You please yourself whether you want to be loyal or objective, but if you want to gain respect as an authorative opinion, you won't do it with loyalty blinkers on.

JMO
Rodin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum