David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton to get $10,000,000 new 3 fight HBO deal if he beats Castillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Now please tell me how he deserves this kind of deal if he beats Castillo.
The way I look at it is Hattons best win was against an old inactive Tszyu, & since then hes won unremarkable fights against the likes of Maussa & Urango, & was arguably beaten by Collazo.

Now many many people think Castillo is 'shot' & there for the taking kinda like Tszyu was, so does Hatton deserve a megabucks deal for winning this fight? I really dont think so. Fair play to Ricky if he wins, however I am perplexed at this massive financial carrot on offer for what many people would see as a good win, but not a great one.

So where do the rest of you stand on this one, do you think Ricky Hatton deserves to be given such a massive contract by HBO for beating Castillo?
It simple economics Dunk. This is the last fight of his HBO contract. Hatton is one of the world's most exciting fighters(and he's an endearing and down to earth personality) and HBO want to retain his services. They are prepared to pay more than the competition for Ricky to ply his labour on their channel rather than someone else's. It's not so much that he deserves it,it's just the way the world works in so far as most of us will try to obtain the best deal for our labour, whatever job we do.

Clearly HBO will have some input into who he will fight against. He can't just fight three bums and take the money!! This was the main reason he moved fought Collazo at 147 rather han Rabah at 140.
David UK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichsurgeon
OI!!!!

Don't you think there are enough car crashes in this country without him being able to buy supercars for him and his friends?
Bull himself would want this deal, so his buddy Amir can buy him something nice.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #18
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

He deserves it
kel is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #19
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Now please tell me how he deserves this kind of deal if he beats Castillo.
The way I look at it is Hattons best win was against an old inactive Tszyu, & since then hes won unremarkable fights against the likes of Maussa & Urango, & was arguably beaten by Collazo.

Now many many people think Castillo is 'shot' & there for the taking kinda like Tszyu was, so does Hatton deserve a megabucks deal for winning this fight? I really dont think so. Fair play to Ricky if he wins, however I am perplexed at this massive financial carrot on offer for what many people would see as a good win, but not a great one.

So where do the rest of you stand on this one, do you think Ricky Hatton deserves to be given such a massive contract by HBO for beating Castillo?
Where did you find out about that?
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #20
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

news of the world reported it yesterday
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #21
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by qboxthunder
As a huge Kostya fan it hurt to see him get beat and quit on his stool the way he did.Kostya coming in too the fight with Hatton was still a great fighter.I think the reason most people say Kostya was a shot fighter is because when you look at the history book a few years from now a Hatton victory over Tszyu is gonna look very strange considering the large gap in terms of greatness between the two fighters.So Hatton beat Tszyu so he needs to be given the credit but so too did Vince Philips as Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, these ****ed up results very occasionally happen in boxing!I was a Hatton fan b4 the Tszyu fight he was bustling move forward attacking in fighter but since that fight he has lost me.Ok beating my favorite fighter Kostya may have got him a bit offside with me but simply he aint looked that good since and this constant holding bullshit he's been pulling since the Tszyu fight and beyond well not one hardcore fight fan could say they've enjoyed watching it.He's turned into a mini john Ruiz unfortunately!He's winning his fights very ugly.Castillo looked bad v Ngoudjo so Hatton will probably get by him pretty easy but if he fights a Cotto or Mayweather he'll get hammered.As far as the contract with HBO goes,I think he's not really a $10 mil fighter in terms of talent but he has the score on the board and has built a great record so he deserves a pretty huge pay day in that respect.
i think that's a pretty good post
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #22
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by qboxthunder
As a huge Kostya fan it hurt to see him get beat and quit on his stool the way he did.Kostya coming in too the fight with Hatton was still a great fighter.I think the reason most people say Kostya was a shot fighter is because when you look at the history book a few years from now a Hatton victory over Tszyu is gonna look very strange considering the large gap in terms of greatness between the two fighters.So Hatton beat Tszyu so he needs to be given the credit but so too did Vince Philips as Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, these ****ed up results very occasionally happen in boxing!I was a Hatton fan b4 the Tszyu fight he was bustling move forward attacking in fighter but since that fight he has lost me.Ok beating my favorite fighter Kostya may have got him a bit offside with me but simply he aint looked that good since and this constant holding bullshit he's been pulling since the Tszyu fight and beyond well not one hardcore fight fan could say they've enjoyed watching it.He's turned into a mini john Ruiz unfortunately!He's winning his fights very ugly.Castillo looked bad v Ngoudjo so Hatton will probably get by him pretty easy but if he fights a Cotto or Mayweather he'll get hammered.As far as the contract with HBO goes,I think he's not really a $10 mil fighter in terms of talent but he has the score on the board and has built a great record so he deserves a pretty huge pay day in that respect.
You can't seriously put Hatton in the same bracket as Phillips and Douglas. Hatton was flying through the division with exciting performances which was not happening with Phillips or Douglas. And Douglas lost in his first defence
David UK is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #23
victorhugo4222
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think its just the yanks being daft again sure Hatton is a good fighter but $10M for 3 fights??? They do the same with everything look at David Beckham hes 32 and way past his best so the americans are giving him a 5 year contract worth £128M!!!
victorhugo4222 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #24
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I dont think 10m for his next 3 fights is so far off the mark, he has to be one of the most marketable fighters in the world, his casual following is second to none in the UK and providing they can get him the fights (and not maussa types) then it'll be money well spent. Should the Castillo fight live up to its potential a rematch would be a certainty.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #25
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughweb
Don't be silly. The highest viewing figure he's ever had is 350,000.
What about the re showing of the Urango fight on BBC , surely there is a good chance that , that surpassed that .

Which really would say a lot if the re showing of one fight a week later on terrestrial is higher than anything he's ever got on Satellite .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #26
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

The case for Hatton being worth a $10,000,000 contract is that boxing is a free market and run as a business, so he obviously is worth $10,000,000 to HBO or they wouldn't pay it.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #27
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughweb
Don't be silly. The highest viewing figure he's ever had is 350,000.
No other fighter in the UK has a better casual following than ricky. When he fights all sorts of boxing fans come out of the woodwork. 20,000 people crammed into the MEN to watch him fight the likes of virches. 8,000 flying to Vegas.

I'd say he was just ahead of Calzaghe in the UK, although joe's move to ITV certainarly raised his stock. makes you wonder how big Ricky would be should he perform on ITV!

Also, I'll wager he's had more than 350,000 before he went PPV ?!?! Where di you get the figures from?
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #28
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

many are, but many aren't. I was in the local boozer only last night and 3 or 4 people mentioned the Hatton fight to me. Not one of them would ever mention Nuumbembe Anderson, or Moore Macklin. Another friend of mine who has near zero interest in boxing is having a group of mates around his house for the fight.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #29
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman_Hatton
Hes an undefeated world class fighter, has a likeable personality with an all action style and one of the biggest fan bases in boxing along with Oscar and Cotto (although i doubt 10,000 Oscar or Cotto fans would travel across the distance Hattons fans would to see them fight). If he gets by Castillo he will have his name on his resume along with Tszyu aswell as some other very respectable solid B level fighters. He has potential fights down the line with Cotto, Mayweather, Diaz, Malignaggi, Witter. So yes i can see why HBO are keen on getting rights to his next few fights. They are probably expecting him in even more demand after the Castillo fight as it has all the makings of a classic.
hell yeah.

the maussa and collazo fights were exciting.

despite what u thought of the performances.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #30
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i reckon if hatton fought a de la hoya or a mayweather he could fill the 76000 capacity old trafford.
ron u.k. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum