Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

People having a pop at you though is hardly unique..... each one tends to get lost amongst the others
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
safc1990
Goodbye Bolo :(
ESB Addict

vCash: 2952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
Slapbangwallop @ me you mean
Can't particularly remember your part in it to be honest.
safc1990 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc1990 View Post
I remember someone going mental at people picking ***ton to beat Rogan in their rematch, ESB was fun afterwards.
Speaking of ***ton, i've just listened to an interview with the only man to beat him in that twat Chisora.

Memo to all ESB Board of Directors and fellow associates: Don't believe a word Chisora is spitting. He's a skirt and is trying to fraud the casuals by talking that south London rhetoric. An experienced ***ton would take his little alligator arm stance into deep waters and fade that sheltered mirage. I'm done with Chisora as I stated a few months back. What a "ham" to try and plug his future endeavors off the strength of a the real deals like Haye and Lennox doing what Ali did many moons ago. Fuc***g Chisora!!
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
People having a pop at you though is hardly unique..... each one tends to get lost amongst the others
What !
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Mandanda, you're normally up to speed on these things, can you tell me if Kessler was ment to fight Miranda at one point but pulled out? Its been doing my head in as someone pulled me up on it yesterday.

I don't really remember the timeline of events but i think this came at a time when Miranda had an impressive victory following his fight with Pavlik and well before the Abraham II fight...thus before the label of poor man's Mayorga. If i remember correctly Pantera gave up a laundry list of concessions to Kessler and Showtime even secured the bout with a $1 million non-refundable retainer. After all the concessions with gloves, ring size, 10 rounds vs. 12, Kessler still ducked out....you'll probabily tell me otherwise though.
If i remember correctly Slip i think the terms were agreed and it was all set then all of a sudden Kessler did pull out and Miranda said he's a ***** and scared to fight me etc. This was after he beat Banks and it was to be Kesslers first fight since Calzaghe.

here's a quote from Espn Dan Rafeals blog

Quote:
Among other concessions given to Kessler: The bout would not take place on Native American property or in Florida. Seminole Warriors Boxing is a Native American-operated promotional company based in Hollywood, Fla. Also, Kessler was to be paid 400,000 Euros (approximately $600,000 U.S.) and Palle would retain lucrative television rights in Scandinavia, Germany and other territories. "They took the fight and then they backed out," Margules said. "We had a deal in writing, and although it was not signed yet, we all said, 'We have a deal.' Showtime even had the fight on its Web site. Everything was worked out and my fighter was in camp. And then, no fight."
Micheal Marley lists 16 parts of the deal.

Edit:Here Slip makes for interesting reading.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
What !
Nothing
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Ectoplasm
BOXING IS DEAD
ESB Senior Member

I don't agree with some of the earlier comments.

Yes, there are a few Dunne and Duddy nuthuggers but if you read the Irish thread praise and criticism come nearly in equal proportions.

Naturally, I like to see Irish fighters do well but I'm not going to be deluded by a fighter because of they are from the same country as me. In fact I regularly criticise Duddy and Lee's level of opposition.
Ectoplasm is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #23
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

to be fair a lot of them are good posters some of them i think come in to spark a bit of interest in a fight which i think is pretty funny and adds to the fight feeling on the forum.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hopefully Chavez jr does the job, if only to shut up the rabid, ''Duddy would KO Monzon, Hagler and Hopkins on the same night'' Irish fans.

you really are pathetic mate. im irish and ive picked plenty of fighters over irish ones. you are ****ing obsessed with this issue yet can never seem to bring up people who do this shit? i dont rate duddy in the slightest. you are confusing people hoping for their fighter to win and blind ignorant patriotism and its hypocritical of you to say so.'ricky hatton is a p4p fighter-amir khan is going to fight floyd mayweather-rendal munroe is world class-kevin mitchell is a east end Ali-its hilarious. i regularly read the irish thread, and the posters on there are knowledgable (most) and level headed so who are these people you keep refering to? i really enjoy reading the british thread, theres some great posters on here whom i would read and take on board what they are saying. you however are not one of them-you waste your time on here slating Irish posters and fighters. whats the point?
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #25
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
If i remember correctly Slip i think the terms were agreed and it was all set then all of a sudden Kessler did pull out and Miranda said he's a ***** and scared to fight me etc. This was after he beat Banks and it was to be Kesslers first fight since Calzaghe.

here's a quote from Espn Dan Rafeals blog

Micheal Marley lists 16 parts of the deal.

Edit:Here Slip makes for interesting reading.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Cheers for that Mandanda. I knew i wasn't just imagining it. lol!

Yeah, Remember Miranda scored 2 finishes after his loss to Pavlik, but more importantly those 2 ko's came at a new weight class giving the impression that he may be "reborn" at this higher and probably more natural division. Of course 2 guys he fought were not world beaters, but it set up Showtime to sign an intriguing "style matchup" vs. Kessler who signed in principle, but later Kessler backed off the final dotted line to not face a heavy hander and take a safer fight post Calzaghe.

I remember Showtime being pissed as they already made the fight a reality with good faith money based on the explicit concessions that Team Pantera agreed to "in writing"! It was Kessler and ONLY Team Kessler that backed off this fight and searched for several months after to find a ham-n-eggs walkover to score an easy belt. yep, this was a classic "duck".

I love this forum! where else would you get this conversation? I wonder if that poster boy for sluggers and low boxing IQ knows people are talking about him.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I never said the posters in the Irish thread weren't knowledgable, to be honest it's not a thread I've bothered reading because it started long before I came on here.... and would take some getting into.

As for me being pathetic, given that I made a point that an Irish poster himself agreed with on this very thread, I find your allegation spurious at best.

In terms of slagging off Irish fighters, I think you'll find that most people think Duddy is a fraud, and if you read my posts previously all I've said is that Lee has been slightly overhyped, and that in my opinion (emphasise this btw) both Macklin and Barker beat him - which is nothing to be ashamed of at all.

As for the now meaningless Dunne vs Munroe debate, it was an argumen drawn basically on national lines - Dunne was a classy boxer with an obvious weakness in the chin department at 122, being tight at the weight. It was hardly crime of the century to suggest that Munroe would give him a real run for his money.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #27
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

good fight they both have zero talent but something tells me duddys heart is probably going to be the difference junior has no heart and lives out of his dads shadow
faisal is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Double KO please..........................!
I'll beg for it
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #29
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
I was taking the piss, but Irish boxing fans (on here) are the most biased I've ever come across in any sport.

Other than D-Mac I've not seen an Irish fan either picking against an Irish fighter or saying he isn't a fan of so and so.

Plus there's the old ''he's not British, he's Irish'' argument when talking about fighters from NI. Who really cares?
Thanks for lumping us all into the same boat, I also picked Cordoba and Poonsawat against Khan, and originally Appleby over Lindsay(till I changed my mind the day before the fight), Burns over O'Hara etc.

Nationality can mean a lot to the fighters themselves, eg. Lennox Lewis and him often stating he's British. Of course it's better if we leave politics out of it as much as possible but when you've guys like Arum who try and promote boxing based on fighters ethnicities(and this card is another example), then things like nationality will always come into the discussion.

As far as this fight goes, if Duddy fights like he did last time out he'll lose a decision. Infact he'll probably have to put on his best performance since Eastman to win here, and there's a good chance he'll need a stoppage unless he wins it very very clearly.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
RebelBhoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I have often read about these mythical creatures that believe Duddy is a future hof'er, but I am yet to actually see one. I am beginning to think they are like leprechauns. They do exist...just nobody has ever seen one.

I live in Derry and there is a hope that John does well, but not one person I have met is anything other than measured in their rating of his talents.

I heard a radio interview last week with Bob Arum who has suggested that should Duddy win this fight, next up is Pavlik. I would say that most Irish people would like to see John get a shot, whether it is brought about by his Irish connections, his good looks or his boxing ability is neither here nor there. As Buncey often says "this is a business baby" and like it or not, Duddy would be a draw.

Most wouldn't rate him with even having a punchers chance, but there is a chance and the natural thing to do is to back your fighter until that chance is gone. Its not deluded, its not hype, its not anything other than optimism.

The bottom line is the bottom line.
RebelBhoy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum