Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #31
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
Thanks for lumping us all into the same boat, I also picked Cordoba and Poonsawat against Khan, and originally Appleby over Lindsay(till I changed my mind the day before the fight), Burns over O'Hara etc.

Nationality can mean a lot to the fighters themselves, eg. Lennox Lewis and him often stating he's British. Of course it's better if we leave politics out of it as much as possible but when you've guys like Arum who try and promote boxing based on fighters ethnicities(and this card is another example), then things like nationality will always come into the discussion.

As far as this fight goes, if Duddy fights like he did last time out he'll lose a decision. Infact he'll probably have to put on his best performance since Eastman to win here, and there's a good chance he'll need a stoppage unless he wins it very very clearly.
Sorry mate, don't take it personally

I can tell by the tone of your post that you get my drift though.... Chavez isn't all that at all and Duddy should win handily.

God knows how bad Chavez would be without his PEDS
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #32
jdawg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

a round of applause for Top rank, got 2 cash cows here but realise that neither of them are gonna become superstar fighters so put em in the ring and cut down the trash. Amen to that! Has Duddy gone down 2 154? He'll be better there he has no power at middleweight and will have better luck at the lower weight (still not sensational) Either way he beats JCC jr, in what might just be a bloody battle. Fingers crossed!
jdawg is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #33
irishhitman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Hopefully Chavez jr does the job, if only to shut up the rabid, ''Duddy would KO Monzon, Hagler and Hopkins on the same night'' Irish fans.
dont talk shite you ****ing ****
irishhitman is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #34
Paddy
ESB Founders Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
I picked Poon and Cordoba to beat Dunne I know what you mean though posters like Barry up there
Good Old Barry!

I always said if Dunne did get his crack and Vazquez I would be wearing a sombrero

I didnt give Colie Barrett a chance in hell of getting to the Prizefighter final but was happy to be proved wrong.

I could stay here all day talking about times i picked over an irish fighter

oh and by the way Matt Macklin is Irish

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5f2NyWplMg[/ame]

Elie seckbach is as Bias towards Irish fighters as he is about jewish!
Paddy is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #35
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I would have applied for Irish citizenship if Barrett had beaten Harrison
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
Paddy
ESB Founders Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
I would have applied for Irish citizenship if Barrett had beaten Harrison

I would have loved it!

in fairness there are a few irish posters that are beyond bias

I like a bit of bias myself it helps me get through the day!
Paddy is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #37
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I was taking the piss, but Irish boxing fans (on here) are the most biased I've ever come across in any sport.

Other than D-Mac I've not seen an Irish fan either picking against an Irish fighter or saying he isn't a fan of so and so.

Plus there's the old ''he's not British, he's Irish'' argument when talking about fighters from NI. Who really cares?
Cheers for the compliment on my impartiality towards nationality in boxing BB, but there are a lot of solid Irish posters who are head > heart as well (a few have popped up in this thread).

Plus, it works both ways as well; you gotta remember the amount of posters in here who were picking Hatton to beat Mayweather and Pacquiao in the build-up to those fights, even though conventional wisdom said he was in for a beating both times.

As for Duddy-Chavez, if anything it will be an entertaining scrap - not exactly two saavy defensive wizards in there. I've always been concerned for Chavez when he tries to emulate daddy by body-hunting a lot of the time, leaving himself wide open for counters. He's just not the same build as Sr. and he should have tried to develop a better range game; he's lanky and not particularly fast, so he's a KO waiting to happen when an opponent starts throwing over the top of his left hook to the body (Jose Celaya had a lot of success against him doing this). Its a real pick-em this one, but you get the feeling that Duddy will have to KO Chavez to get the win (John looks like the sacrificial lamb here - kinda like the promoters are cashing in on him for the last time). Chaves on points is the smart bet I'd say, but it will be a good back-and-forth affair between two middle-of-the-road fighters who've been elevated well above their station in the boxing world.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #38
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Both are extremely sub par talent wise but are trying to be semi decent technically. They do nothing outstanding but think they are and can be better than their actual potential. This is the sort of scrap that should be made in boxing. Neither of them are or ever will be elite, let alone world class so a good scrap is what they should be looking for in their career.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #39
safc1990
Goodbye Bolo :(
ESB Addict

vCash: 2952

I'm pretty sure there used to be an Irish forum on here or did I imagine that?
safc1990 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #40
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

duddy will win this easy
faisal is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #41
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc1990 View Post
I'm pretty sure there used to be an Irish forum on here or did I imagine that?
Nope, although there used to be a Canadian one.
Must be all us Irish infesting this forum that has you confused.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #42
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Should be British & Irish forum. The Irish are practically cousins with the Brits, especially considering Northern Ireland.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #43
Healy
Former Wee Poof
ESB Addict

This is good for Duddy, its his level and he has a chance to end a complete fraud job. Ok, Duddy himself is overated, on the back of his early career success! Duddy has always come across as an honest chap, very well spoken, big heart and i remember seeing one big of footage that sums him up perfectly. It was of his during rounds, just after he had a poor round, he was saying in an emotional voice 'im trying too hard, its for my fans, im trying too hard to impress'. He doesn't have the ability to back up his big name and billing, which is a pity. I wish others would take a second before they slate him due to his lack of ability, its not his fault. Id like to see him win, get one big pay day and then when/if he loses that come home and fight for the Irish title against Macklin or Lee.

I don't know how people can rate Duddy, but i don't know how people can hate Duddy.
Healy is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #44
marty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
This is good for Duddy, its his level and he has a chance to end a complete fraud job. Ok, Duddy himself is overated, on the back of his early career success! Duddy has always come across as an honest chap, very well spoken, big heart and i remember seeing one big of footage that sums him up perfectly. It was of his during rounds, just after he had a poor round, he was saying in an emotional voice 'im trying too hard, its for my fans, im trying too hard to impress'. He doesn't have the ability to back up his big name and billing, which is a pity. I wish others would take a second before they slate him due to his lack of ability, its not his fault. Id like to see him win, get one big pay day and then when/if he loses that come home and fight for the Irish title against Macklin or Lee.

I don't know how people can rate Duddy, but i don't know how people can hate Duddy.

Good post Healy, Ive never heard Duddy bad mouth an opponent or boast hes going to be world champ. People seem to hate him on here because he has a huge fanbase in the States, because the Irish Americans love him. Well the haters should question there own motives for hating him, because its more a reflection on there own prejudice or bigotry than anything else.

And the actual fight, going on Duddys recent performances Chavez will probably win a tight but controversial decision on points. But if Duddy finds his old fire, and goes all for the KO, theres a chance he could stop the defensively inept and naturally smaller Chavez.
marty is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #45
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

I hope Duddy wins this and shuts up the hype loving British wankers on here!
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum