Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Marciano's Glove-Blocking/Parrying is Unparraled by Swarmers/Sluggers

... or maybe not, but it's damn damn good. Maybe Chavez and Duran are equally as effective as good in this regard.

Dempsey bobs with his hands fairly low, so I don't see him glove-blocking as much nor as effectively as Marciano does. Sometimes he's so good at this that he can instinctual block another shot with his other glove while his head is down. Sometimes he gets too defensive about it, but after being surprised by Walcott he seems to understand his tempo more.

I'm watching the Marciano v Walcott I scrap (Underrated) and I'm noticing that not only does Marciano get low and roll in his crouch but he really is good at parrying. Sometimes he looks for the power shot too much and gets smacked wide-opened but he usually tightens up and gets his gloves higher to get ready to attack/defend.

Most recognize Marciano had skills, albeit subtle ones. But the casual fans seem to think he's just an open target that doesn't do anything defensively like other guys such as Hatton and Froch. I think we can examine the obvious things that the other swaming Heavyweights might do better, but this is one where they could've taken a page out of Marciano's book. Sometimes glove-blocking doesn't look as pretty nor does it seem like you're actually blocking shots with some of the old quality films. If Frazier could've done something better defensively it would've been this.

Okay... back to watching.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685
Default Re: Marciano's Glove-Blocking/Parrying is Unparraled by Swarmers/Sluggers

he was also good at feints and setting up his opponent. Look at the Walcott KO, he comes in crouching, walking Walcott back. Pumps his jab one, twice while Walcott is backing up. As soon as Walcott is backed against the ropes, Marciano flicks out the jab, draws out the counter right hand and hammers an exposed Wallcot with his own right hand flush on the jaw.

BORKED
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marciano's Glove-Blocking/Parrying is Unparraled by Swarmers/Sluggers

If Walcott had Dirrell's acting ability, he could have won by DQ.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano may have never ko Walcott in the first fight if Marciano went winging that shot in round 13. He relly had to set the punch up.

He feited and was able to fool Walcott to get the shot in.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post

Marciano didnt hit Walcott when he was down. Walcott was out, but still up when that left landed.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
... or maybe not

Russell is online now  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
Seriously?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Posted by Dempsey1238
Marciano didnt hit Walcott when he was down. Walcott was out, but still up when that left landed.
He was just helping him into position for the photographers on that side of the ring.

I got no real problems with that punch by Marciano. I got no problems with the referee disqualifying Abraham in that fight. Abraham hit him while he was down, and you can't prove Direll could continue. I can still look down on that oversold acting job after an otherwise brilliant performance. I also couldn't stand how the commentators seemed oblivious to it, and took offense to Abraham voicing his opinion on it. I was laughing my ass off at the leg shaking.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Posted by Maxmomer
Seriously?
Sorry to stray off topic. I couldn't resist the wise crack after viewing the video. I immediately thought of last week's fight when I saw it.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sorry to stray off topic. I couldn't resist the wise crack after viewing the video. I immediately thought of last week's fight when I saw it.
Pretty sure Dirrel had a concussion after the fight. I read an article saying he was confused for hours after he was taken to the hospital and spent three hours being tested.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Posted by Maxmomer
Pretty sure Dirrel had a concussion after the fight. I read an article saying he was confused for hours after he was taken to the hospital and spent three hours being tested.
I'm sorry, man. Believe what you want. My first impression was he that he was faking to get the win. I still have that impression. It almost looks as though he is going to mouth "he hit me" before beginning his act.

I bought it when Griffin was stopped on his knee by Jones. I didn't with Dirrell.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

It was a clean shot though, Dirrell was down, hands down, and took the shot flush, Abraham was a know puncher though, and it was pretty clean.

I dont think Dirrell was faking.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm sorry, man. Believe what you want. My first impression was he that he was faking to get the win. I still have that impression. It almost looks as though he is going to mouth "he hit me" before beginning his act.

I bought it when Griffin was stopped on his knee by Jones. I didn't with Dirrell.
I honestly see no logical reason to believe Dirrel was faking. Not from the film, nor the circumstances surrounding the fight. From everything I've read or heard from anywhere, Dirrel was ****ed up badly from the punch, and people have reacted stranger when taking heavy shots. You must have some tremendous personal bias against Dirrel, which I find understandable, because I hate that ****. But there's no reason to think he was acting.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Windup thread.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

11 replies you guys are ****ing with my thread!

I'm in the "Wasn't faking" category just to add that in while we are on the subject.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum