Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Junior Witter: over achieved or underachieved?
Overachieved 2 4.88%
Underachieved 13 31.71%
About achieved his level 26 63.41%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Junior Witter: over achieved, underachieved or about achieved his level?

Junior Witter: over achieved, underachieved or about achieved his level?
JonOli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: Junior Witter: over achieved, underachieved or about achieved his level?

I think he achieved about what he could in the cirumstances. If he'd have got a fight with Hatton in his prime its possible he could of got more kudos than he'll end up getting when people look back. He could of beaten or at least given a severe test to Hatton.

But as that never seemed to be on the cards I think he achieved what he could, he won British, European and a world title. But in the end he just had too many fundamental flaws to unify or beat the absolute best in his division. Well rounded fighters in Alexander and Bradley just made him look a bit silly.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418
Default Re: Junior Witter: over achieved, underachieved or about achieved his level?

I think he about achieved his level, he was beating good fighters and did well to become a world champ, the problem is and always will be he was in the shadow of Ricky Hatton.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I suppose one could argue from the POV that he spent many years treading water chasing Hatton prior to fighting DeMarcus Corley for the vacant title.

It's possible being the type of fighter he is, reliant on reflexes and speed, that he wasted his physical prime.

It's always going to be very hard to ascertain whether that is the case purely because Bradley and Alexander are likely the two best fighters he fought.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Witter underachieved, through no fault of his own.

Like Eubank needed Benn, Witter needed Hatton. If Witter secured the fight with Hatton & beaten him(which IMO he would have) then Witter would have been a modern day Eubank.

Hatton knew this though, & denied his domestic nemesis the chance to be thought of as a modern day great.

I dont want to go over old ground again, but Hatton was a spoiled little brat when it came to all things junior & Witter. He used his media darling status at the time to ruin Witter, & sadly enough, it worked.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
Witter underachieved, through no fault of his own.

Like Eubank needed Benn, Witter needed Hatton. If Witter secured the fight with Hatton & beaten him(which IMO he would have) then Witter would have been a modern day Eubank.

Hatton knew this though, & denied his domestic nemesis the chance to be thought of as a modern day great.

I dont want to go over old ground again, but Hatton was a spoiled little brat when it came to all things junior & Witter. He used his media darling status at the time to ruin Witter, & sadly enough, it worked.
You know i think i partially agree with you on that Hatton it would have to appear now ducked him , but i think Witter done this to himself , instead of keeping his mouth shut going out and fighting for world title's knowing in the end Hatton would have to fight him , he didnt , he held on for Hatton , sung his name from the roofops and dis respected Hatton when ever possible .

And as TFFP quite rightly points out its possible by Witter doing this he wasted his best years trying to secure Hatton instead of trying to back Hatton into a corner a lot like Mosley has done to Floyd just recently .

Added to that i dont think Witter had the personality of a modern day great , he was very dis like able a lot like Froch can be and i think his main flaw as a fighter was his heart , and i would of fancied Hatton to beat him around that time , it would of been difficuilt for Hatton early on but after that i see one way traffic . And you have to realise Hatton was looking for better paydays back then and Witter didnt even enter the fray in that aspect .
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

I think he pretty much achieved what was deserved. Good fight, possibly world level/champ. Could have given Hatton a good test but through faults of their own it never came off so i'd say he can be very happy with what he's achieved.

British, European and World Champion is nothing to turn your nose up at.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I think he achieved pretty much what he was capable of achieving, albeit in a roundabout way.

He spent way too much time focusing on Ricky Hatton - someone ought to have told him to get on with his own career and make himself the man in the position of strength.... something he only really held between the time Hatton vs Lazcano was announced and him losing to Bradley.

That said, I still think in a prime vs prime match up Hatton would chin him.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
I suppose one could argue from the POV that he spent many years treading water chasing Hatton prior to fighting DeMarcus Corley for the vacant title.

It's possible being the type of fighter he is, reliant on reflexes and speed, that he wasted his physical prime.

It's always going to be very hard to ascertain whether that is the case purely because Bradley and Alexander are likely the two best fighters he fought.
I agree, but I think he more or less achieved what he was capable of in terms of belts, in terms of recognition and popularity he could have been more especially if the hatton fight had happened.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
The Blackout
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 350

I think Witter will look back at his career with two rergrets:

*Not getting a domestic fight against Ricky Hatton.
*Not becoming a household name in Britain, despite being a world champion.

It does appear that Hatton ducked Witter. That fight would have got Witter recognised and i do honestly believe, that in his prime, he'd have had a decent go at Ricky. The mistake he made was to keep calling Hatton out every 5 minutes. He probably thought he'd get the headlines and the press, but it backfired and had a detremental effect on his own promising career.

Witter has some good names on his record though and at the end of the day, he was a world champion for a few years. His only losses were against top fighters - Zab Judah, Tim Bradley and Devon Alexander. He'd have probably taken all that before the start of his career.
The Blackout is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

His career took a long time to get over the Judah fight, both from the point of view of him stepping back up in quality of opponent and the effect the showing had for his reputation with the American networks.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

Dont think he was an elite fighter(very good),every time he stepped up in his career he blew it.
He should've however got more reconition than he did in Britain.

He carried himself poorly IMO. The British public deemed him 'the bad guy',he could've played up a lot more on this and made himself a bigger name.

Bad promotion.
TheUzi is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I always thought that if Witter would have fought Hatton back at the domestic level he would have beat him. I think that Ricky Hatton would have more than taken the fight...his promoter saw Witter as too much of a risk with their long term strategy for Hatton.

I think that Witter getting a British, European and WBC World Title says enough for me with his boxing acheivements. With better promotion and management he would have got some better box office.

He never did himself any favours with calling out Hatton all the time, better management would have stopped this.
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

He wasn't very good at playing the bad guy, he didn't have the personality to carry it off well.... just sounded like an arrogant bell end most of the time.

After he beat Vivian Harris he appeared on Calendar (the Yorkshire ITV tea time news programme) and started talking about himself in complimentary fashion.....

I was at my grandparents house at the time and my grandma turned to me and said ''Who's that bloody idiot? Who does he think he is? I bet he gets beat next''

Sums him up pretty well.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #15
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
He wasn't very good at playing the bad guy, he didn't have the personality to carry it off well.... just sounded like an arrogant bell end most of the time.

After he beat Vivian Harris he appeared on Calendar (the Yorkshire ITV tea time news programme) and started talking about himself in complimentary fashion.....

I was at my grandparents house at the time and my grandma turned to me and said ''Who's that bloody idiot? Who does he think he is? I bet he gets beat next''

Sums him up pretty well.
Was it your Grandma who tipped Wigan yesterday
TheUzi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum