Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Cuevas or Trinidad: Best Reign?
Cuevas, definitely, not close 3 8.82%
Cuevas, close but clear 9 26.47%
Cuevas, I'm leaning toward him but could change my mind 3 8.82%
Trinidad, definitely, not close 7 20.59%
Trinidad, close but clear 10 29.41%
Trinidad, I'm leaning toward him but could change my mind 2 5.88%
Pongsaklek Wonjongkam 8 23.53%
Too close to call for me right now. Hesitate to say (I'm a dirty fence sitter) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Felix Trinidad/Pipino Cuevas: Whose Welterweight Reign Do You Find More Impressive?

By whatever criteria you wish. Keep in mind, this is not who is greater P4P, who is a better fighter, etc. Just whose reign at welterweight you consider more impressive. Period. ...Pongsaklek Wonjongkam.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clwgx8_LtNs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgCU7aPOaFo[/ame]
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Felix Trinidad/Pipino Cuevas: Whose Welterweight Reign Do You Find More Impressiv

Tito, a good puncher, had the longer reign. However, when Pipino ruled, the mention of his name struck fear in the hearts of men. 11 KO's and a mess of broken bones can attest can attest to that truth. Which is why Cuevas is my pick for this honor.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Felix Trinidad/Pipino Cuevas: Whose Welterweight Reign Do You Find More Impressiv

Tito actually had the balls to go out and try to unify the title, and ultimately did so, against a future HOFer to boot (albeit on a debatable decision). That win also earned him status as the lineal champ, something Cuevas never was. He also made history(sorta) by being the first fighter ever to dominate the ATG Whitaker - granted an old Whitaker, but still probably a more notable feat than any single feat by Cuevas.

Tito's reign was clearly more impressive in my book.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
Tito, a good puncher, had the longer reign. However, when Pipino ruled, the mention of his name struck fear in the hearts of men. 11 KO's and a mess of broken bones can attest can attest to that truth. Which is why Cuevas is my pick for this honor.
Ah, but you didn't vote.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Cuevas fought more good solid fighters, most of Tito's were trash or washed up, and no Yory boy campas was never good.

On the other hand like My2 says, Tito unified against a better fighter than any of Pipino's wins, and has more notable names like Camacho and Pea.Both were well past their best though.

I think Tito was the better fighter, but would lean towards Cuevas when just talking about reign.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

In essence we're looking at the quality of the wins, length of the reign and the performances. Titos competition far exceeds Cuevas's, Delahoya/Whitaker/Carr/Camacho/Campas certainly overshadow Cuevas's resume of wins even if ODLH is removed
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Tito actually had the balls to go out and try to unify the title, and ultimately did so, against a future HOFer to boot (albeit on a debatable decision). That win also earned him status as the lineal champ, something Cuevas never was. He also made history(sorta) by being the first fighter ever to dominate the ATG Whitaker - granted an old Whitaker, but still probably a more notable feat than any single feat by Cuevas.

Tito's reign was clearly more impressive in my book.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I think Cuevas was more impressive. Weston and Shields. Espada, Gray,Weston Shields. Interesting thing is that Hearns fought all those guys also. But Cuevas fought them when they were more prime, although Hearns defended against Randy Shields.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Ah, but you didn't vote.
Now I did.

Somehow I overlooked the public poll until a few seconds ago.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Cuevas fought more good solid fighters, most of Tito's were trash or washed up, and no Yory boy campas was never good
Yeah, But there were some mediocrities on Cuevas' ledger, too. Scott Clark did nothing to deserve his title shot. Backus was done. Tsujimoto and Campanino were decent, but nothing special.Plus there really wasn't that much need for Cuevas to fight Espada for a third time.

Given all that, I think Trinidad gets the edge for me, by virtue of quantity and better quality opponents at the very top level that were fought and defeated.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
In essence we're looking at the quality of the wins, length of the reign and the performances. Titos competition far exceeds Cuevas's, Delahoya/Whitaker/Carr/Camacho/Campas certainly overshadow Cuevas's resume of wins even if ODLH is removed
Nah, Campas was worse than most of Cuevas' better challengers and old runner camacho, blocker and Carr were no more than even.Old pea wouldn't beat Weston or Espada either imo.

I thnk the DLH win and your outlook on it is key for Tito's welter period in general.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
PernellSweetPea
Contender
ESB Senior Member

the winner and still champ by a mile Jose Pipino Cuevas!!!!!!!!!!
PernellSweetPea is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Call me biased, cause I'm not the biggest Tito fan.

But I like Cuevas in this. I feel his destructions over guys like Espadas, Backus, Weston and Sheilds, the way in which he destroyed them was brilliant and these were no bums.

Trinidad did beat Whittaker and De La Hoya, which unified the division.

But I just like the way Cuevas beat the better guys and really did destroy the better guys.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Nah, Campas was worse than most of Cuevas' better challengers and old runner camacho, blocker and Carr were no more than even.Old pea wouldn't beat Weston or Espada either imo.

I thnk the DLH win and your outlook on it is key for Tito's welter period in general.
I dont think Trinidads is a great reign by any means but Cuevas's always struck me as particularly weak. To be honest outside of the Cuevas/Hearns fights I havent seen much of Cuevas's opponents, they dont seem to have any special wins though and Titos certainly have more pedigree. Now in terms of how they looked against Cuevas they robably looked better but I think a boxer can look better then they are without great skills against Cuevas's limited skills. Whitaker was a shell by that stage, I still think hes better than Espada all the same

The real fight in the division was Palomino-Cuevas, dont know why that didnt happen, but I suppose it made Leonard-Hearns the massive event it wa
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum