Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Tommy Burn

Aside from having read Tommy Burn was a bulldog-tenacious scraper -- 'n mustta been a tough guy, winning the heavyweight title -- can't get a handle on how good he was.

Since he was 5'7", 170 pounds, how do some of you historians think he'd fare today as a super middle or Lt. Hvy?
john garfield is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tommy Burn

Tommy Burns ,what films I've seen of him was a great right hand puncher, and very durable..Probably be the light heavyweight champion today...Reminds me somewhat of a better edition of Gus Lesnevich,of the 1940s Great right hand,and very rugged was Gus..
I suspect that Tommy Burns P4P is very underated today, because he as a light heavy really, was overmatched, but put up a brave performance against Jack Johnson in 1908...Otherwise an alltime lightheavy in my opinion..He could hit...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Tommy Burns ,what films I've seen of him was a great right hand puncher, and very durable..Probably be the light heavyweight champion today...Reminds me somewhat of a better edition of Gus Lesnevich,of the 1940s Great right hand,and very rugged was Gus..
I suspect that Tommy Burns P4P is very underated today, because he as a light heavy really, was overmatched, but put up a brave performance against Jack Johnson in 1908...Otherwise an alltime lightheavy in my opinion..He could hit...
Thanks, bb...Fleshes out the picture some.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Aside from having read Tommy Burn was a bulldog-tenacious scraper -- 'n mustta been a tough guy, winning the heavyweight title -- can't get a handle on how good he was.

Since he was 5'7", 170 pounds, how do some of you historians think he'd fare today as a super middle or Lt. Hvy?
Burns had fine skills, speed, and power. He took a decent punch too. In all his filmed fights outside of the Johnson match when he was ill and at a low weight, Burns is a tenacious mad dog in the ring.

Not only do I think Burns would be champ today at supper middle or light heavy, I also think he would be a good box office attraction.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Burns had fine skills, speed, and power. He took a decent punch too. In all his filmed fights outside of the Johnson match when he was ill and at a low weight, Burns is a tenacious mad dog in the ring.

Not only do I think Burns would be champ today at supper middle or light heavy, I also think he would be a good box office attraction.
Now, I DEFINITELY wish I'd seen him fight live, M.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

great thread. as a canadian i've always been kinda curious about him. he seems to get a bum rap, notable as being the white champion who finally gave johnson a shot (at a great price). also he did have 3 defenses against one of his sparring partners. still from what i've read he's a lot better than his footnote status indicates and this thread is giving some perspective. appreciated
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorodz View Post
great thread. As a canadian i've always been kinda curious about him. He seems to get a bum rap, notable as being the white champion who finally gave johnson a shot (at a great price). Also he did have 3 defenses against one of his sparring partners. Still from what i've read he's a lot better than his footnote status indicates and this thread is giving some perspective. Appreciated
ditto! J
Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Burns was one of the best compact punchers that any division has ever produced.

His infighting skills were outstanding.

Rather than looking at Burns as one of the weaker lineal haeavyweight champions we should look at him as what he was. A pound for pound great.

For practical purpouses Burns won the lightheavyweight title as well as the heavyweight title. Had he claimed it after he beat O'Brien I doubt that anybody would have disputed his claim.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Now, I DEFINITELY wish I'd seen him fight live, M.
If you had seen him fight live, you probably would not be amongst us at this point.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
If you had seen him fight live, you probably would not be amongst us at this point.
I used to watch Daniel Mendoza spar, S
Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

J G, Not only did I box with Jack Broughton, but my social security number is in Roman numerals...B.B.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
J G, Not only did I box with Jack Broughton, but my social security number is in Roman numerals ...B.B.
Don't mind bein' topped, when it's that good, bb
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
J G, Not only did I box with Jack Broughton, but my social security number is in Roman numerals...B.B.
Ha Ha. You'll be telling us next that you can remember Elton John when he was bald!!!
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

I think Burt needs to be Carbon Dated....

Burt, there's a fellow near home who'se great friend was Marcel Cerdan. He was there the night Cerdan whipped Zale at MSG and dined with him and Edith Piaff later in the night,, Bob Scrivano from Tunisia.. World rated flyweight in his day and took a dive against Jimmy Carruthers... In his mid 80's now, but sharp and trains kids still.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Flamengo, Interesting guy your friend..I saw Marcel Cerdan in his first fight in the USA...Dec. 6,1946 MSG against a vastly underated Georgie Abrams..Cerdan won a close dec.over Abrams, who lost a very disputed decision to Ray Robinson in 1947.Yes when Cerdan was killed in the plane crash over the Azores in 1949, Edith Piaf wrote a beautiful song in Cerdan,s memory...Too bad we in the USA never saw the young and in prime Cerdan..After all he was 33 years old, past his peak,when he came to the USA...I believe at his best he licks Lamotta...Great middleweight...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum