Old 04-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #31
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0
Default Re: 03' RingMag Top 100 Punchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
I'm wondering why Monzon would be ahead of Spinks & Hamed to name but two then, but if it's greatest, than why would Foreman be so high? That's what I mean, there are a lot of contradictions. It's like they got a bunch of anmesia-sufferers to complete the list because they have clearly forgotten half way through whether it's meant to be a list of the greatest punchers of all-time or hardest punchers.
Maybe the most effective fighters might be a better term. Some fighters were effective punchers because they hit so damned hard, while other fighters were effective because of superlative technique.

By the way, does anyone else think SRL might deserve placement on the list? Not all that high, but I could see him clocking in from 80-100.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #32
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
I'm wondering why Monzon would be ahead of Spinks & Hamed to name but two then, but if it's greatest, than why would Foreman be so high? That's what I mean, there are a lot of contradictions. It's like they got a bunch of anmesia-sufferers to complete the list because they have clearly forgotten half way through whether it's meant to be a list of the greatest punchers of all-time or hardest punchers.
yeah it looks like they had a variety of factors they were using to rank the fighters and how highly they considered each factor depended on which fighter they were looking at.

foreman-power matters!
louis-it's all about technique!
leotis martin-did you knock out liston? you're in!
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #33
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Maybe the most effective fighters might be a better term. Some fighters were effective punchers because they hit so damned hard, while other fighters were effective because of superlative technique.

By the way, does anyone else think SRL might deserve placement on the list? Not all that high, but I could see him clocking in from 80-100.
great technique, beautiful combinations, solid power and killer instinct. he ranks for me around the same place as holyfield would
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

It's great to see Stanley Ketchell in there at # 6. But wheres Tommy Burns?

Gosh. To think their are certain posters here who try to argue with me Burns was on level Ketchel was as a puncher.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #35
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
It's great to see Stanley Ketchell in there at # 6. But wheres Tommy Burns?

Gosh. To think their are certain posters here who try to argue with me Burns was on level Ketchel was as a puncher.
Oh look, here's Suzie Q making a snide comment about a debate that he started in another another thread on an only slightly related topic. How very mature.

I wonder why he felt that need to do something like that...Could it be because I automatically bow convert to his opinion on this only slightly related matter?

Incidentally, I never once claimed that Burns was a bigger puncher than Ketchel, Oh Mighty Suzie. What I did state was that Burns did hit pretty hard and that's supported by a more than respectable KO percentage (sixty percent is nothing to sneeze at) and the fact that he starched some much larger fighters.

But of course, we wouldn't dare let the truth stand in the way of a the chance to make a dumb-ass wise crack, would we, Suzie?
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #36
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The funny thing about Drew's little tantrum above is I was not talking about him when I mentioned a certain "poster" making the claims of burns being on the same level as a puncher. I thought it was obvious who I was referring to, but obviously not since Drew took ample opportunity to fire back at me like the militia on the front lines. Perhaps Drew wishes I go back into my shell for another 6 months before making a return "guest" appearance. Or maybe he feels apologetic for jumping to false conclusions without indefinite evidence I was referring to him.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #37
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
The funny thing about Drew's little tantrum above is I was not talking about him when I mentioned a certain "poster" making the claims of burns being on the same level as a puncher. I thought it was obvious who I was referring to, but obviously not since Drew took ample opportunity to fire back at me like the militia on the front lines. Perhaps Drew wishes I go back into my shell for another 6 months before making a return "guest" appearance. Or maybe he feels apologetic for jumping to false conclusions without indefinite evidence I was referring to him.
Well, given the abrasive tone used in the other thread, and the fact that it really wasn't obvious who you were referring to, I think such a mistaken assumption is understandable. If that was the case, then consider this my acknowledgment.

And it's not going to affect me one way or the other whether you post here it not, Suzie Q. I'm not posting nearly as often as I used to, anyway.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #38
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As great as Sanchez was, he was never acknowledged as a particularly hard puncher even immediately after the atypical demolition of Gomez. There's just no way Sal belongs on that list. Saad Muhammad's in the top 25, while contemporary LHW punchers Mustafa Muhammad and Marvin Johnson aren't listed at all. (Remember, Marvin was the first to drop steel chinned Galindez.)

How is it that Stribling's 128 knockouts fail to gain recognition?

I don't buy Jose Luis Ramirez for inclusion either. Jack Dillon might be a better choice.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #39
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

wow yeah I have a few issues
wladmir klistschko needs to be in there somewhere, given his ko percentage and laccuracy qnd his hand speed fo such a big man. I'm nor saying top ten but come on he must be in top 30 at least
and what about Tommy Morrison??? he was certainly a good ko artist with decent power, good hand speed, and he was very clean with hi punches.
personally leotis Martin and ingemeer johanson don't belong in that list AT ALL.
Floyd Patterson?!
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #40
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
should he be higher or lower? he only really has one notable win (sorry sonny...)
He shouldn't be on the list.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #41
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

Gerry Cooney at #53 is laughable I know he had lethal power in his left but he did not KO anyone worth a crap. Also Ingo @ #99 is a joke he should be much higher.
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post
As great as Sanchez was, he was never acknowledged as a particularly hard puncher even immediately after the atypical demolition of Gomez. There's just no way Sal belongs on that list. Saad Muhammad's in the top 25, while contemporary LHW punchers Mustafa Muhammad and Marvin Johnson aren't listed at all. (Remember, Marvin was the first to drop steel chinned Galindez.)

How is it that Stribling's 128 knockouts fail to gain recognition?

I don't buy Jose Luis Ramirez for inclusion either. Jack Dillon might be a better choice.
Lobotomy, I agree about Sanchez. Great as he was, he and Walcott were counter-punchers and do not belong on a lethal puncher list. Leotis Martin was included due to the 'event' in KO'ing Liston. What else did he prove in his career of being a big bomber? I believe the most glaring ommission is that of Venezuelan Jr. Welterweight champ of the world Carlos Hernandez. That dude had chilling KO power. KO'd Joe Brown, Teo Cruz, Davey Moore, Kenny Lane, Alfredo Urbina, Bunny Grant, Paolo Rosi, Percy Hayles and dropped Jose Napoles, Eddie Perkins and Nicolino Loche in losing efforts. Now that is a banger.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #43
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Carbajal was the hardest hitter at 105lbs and he had cleaner technique than Gonzalez.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #44
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Just because your a 'counter puncher' does not mean you can't punch. Walcott had one punch knockout power in both hands. His kayo of Charles is LETHAL. He should be on the list.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #45
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Spadafora View Post
Gerry Cooney at #53 is laughable I know he had lethal power in his left but he did not KO anyone worth a crap. Also Ingo @ #99 is a joke he should be much higher.
agreed. cooney's only real KO was a shot to shit Norton who was already devasted in his prime by Foreman and Shavers. other than that he bludgeoned Jimmy Young but failed to truly knock him out. despite some reports i feel he barely even stunned holmes as well and was completely outclassed by a FAR smaller spinks
Jorodz is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum