Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #31
safc1990
Goodbye Bolo :(
ESB Addict

vCash: 2952
Default Re: Jim Watt

Didn't he call Darke 'Reg' after the 2nd knockdown?
safc1990 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #32
kidgloves
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 129

Classic darke quote.
"those punches would have taken down the walls of a city"
He obviously had a list of points to colour the fight with.
kidgloves is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #33
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Just watched the fight and IMHO Watt called the fight just fine.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #34
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
I love how you twist the facts for your own agenda. That's not it at all, Darke merely pointed out that throwing means nothing if you aren't landing - which was all Valuev was doing. Haye landed more shots, better shots and controlled the fight.

Watt had decided on the preview show that Haye was going to lose because he'd be out swinging wild, and he seemed disappointed that Haye was being sensible. His commentary was shamefully simplistic, giving rounds to Valuev just because he was walking forwards and ignoring Haye's work almost entirely.

Watt received heavy criticism for being so negative, so he's trying to redress the balance and, let's be honest, Haye did give a good show on Saturday.

Anyway, you've had enough fire when Cook thrashed Arthur, whining that Watt had sold him out when, for once, he told it like it was.
To be fair to Watt he called and scored the Valuev fight as he thought that the judges would score it in Germany, nothing whatsoever to do with how he thought the fight should have been scored. Last night I thought that he did OK.

Despite the fact that he should have considered his position after the Moore - Rhodes fiasco (luckily I only had to endure the commentary on playback as I saw the fight live) I don't mind Watt at all. I do cut him some slack as he is one of my favourite fighters of the last 40 years and does on occasion give some genuine insights into how a fighter would be thinking and he is also very good with the technical aspects of fights. I am surprised that so many on here favour US commentary as I find their need to talk over the action, stating the ****ing obvious, more than a little irritating.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #35
under the wire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: When u sleepin im workin, when u workin im workin too
vCash: 500

The man I cannot bear ro listen to is the so biased ADAM SMITH! Man he annoys me! Could he have been any more negative to Ant Small last week? He needs to realise he is there to commentate on the fight, not judge a fighter onm their personality and snipe remarks at him while he works his **** of in that ring.
under the wire is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #36
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack View Post
I don't think I've ever heard more biased commentary than Watt last night. He was practically sucking David Haye's **** throughout the fight (in a verbal sense of course). I'll have to re-watch it to remember the exact quotes but some of them were ridiculous, he may be under orders from Sky to do it I don't know but it should be addressed.

Jim Watt explained how Ruiz was deliberately getting hit by rabbit punches and they weren't actually hurtful blows ......
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #37
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think Watt was too bad on Saturday. He went a little overboard, but he pointed out when Ruiz was doing good work and that Haye was letting himself be pressed more than he should.

His commentary on Cotto-Pac was dead-on too. It's only on things involving Mayweather or his favourite fighters that he says idiotic things.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #38
harvinmagler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by under the wire View Post
The man I cannot bear ro listen to is the so biased ADAM SMITH! Man he annoys me! Could he have been any more negative to Ant Small last week? He needs to realise he is there to commentate on the fight, not judge a fighter onm their personality and snipe remarks at him while he works his **** of in that ring.
also, i wonder if he speaks like that all the time, he should realise he's just an interviewer, not a ring announcer
harvinmagler is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #39
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MAS View Post
I think that they must be under some form of etiquette when they are on air, they should have part of the show that could be interactive like the way that Buncey used to do it on Setanta...

Better still, they should hire Buncey with Spencer Oliver, that would be a great combo...
i think spencer's a bit biased towards boxers who he knows and have had any dealings with in his assesments of fights.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #40
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit me HARDER View Post
If anything I thought Watt was praising Ruiz too much. Hmmm.

Didn't he have Valuev up by 2 or 3 rounds too?
He was probably scoring it the same way I was- from the POV of judges in Germany. After the Holyfield fight I didn't think Haye had a hope in hell of getting the decision there
Squire is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #41
Govanmauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mybe JW needs to start posting on here I remeber a while back most of you hated Bunce , then he popped on here and you all love him now. Jim Watt needs an ESB account.

I enjoy his commentary , what does it matter if you disagree with what he is saying you can use your own eyes !
Govanmauler is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govanmauler View Post
Mybe JW needs to start posting on here I remeber a while back most of you hated Bunce , then he popped on here and you all love him now. Jim Watt needs an ESB account.
Now theres a plan!!

Quote:
I enjoy his commentary , what does it matter if you disagree with what he is saying you can use your own eyes !
Thats how I look at it, as long as I'm getting an opinion and its not completely out of line with whats happening then thats OK, I can either agree or disagree with it.

The commentary could always be better but its very rarely that bad that it spoils the fight in any way for me.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #43
sidthehat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Criticism of darke is harsh. He's the only one at Sky who will really criticise boxers and the show they put on as he did with Small-McDonagh and (I think) Broadhurst fight. Adam Smith would says every fight is an intriguing close contest.
sidthehat is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #44
Mr. V.I.P.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Saying he was the fastest heavyweight since Ali did it for me.
Mr. V.I.P. is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #45
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Sky commentators are shockingly biased towards British fighters that they have deals with. They were sucking Khan's **** badly against Salita, saying that it will shock the boxing world, no one I spoke to knew who Salita was.
Bajingo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum