Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Was Greb a bit like Pep?

I was thinking about Greb. He was very fast, and hard to hit cleanly. Did anyone compare Pep to Greb?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Pep is a slick counter-puncher. Greb is a swarmer who employed elements of counter-pressure. I don't think they're that similar, no.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

going out on a limb but i think greb's defense was based in awkward unpredictability, pep's based on evasiveness
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mendoza, i wish you hadnt of mentioned Greb .. People in here are like Michael Jackson fans when they talk about Greb, they feint and swoon whenever his name is mentioned .. He is without doubt the most loved fighter in 'Classic' ....

You'll here things like, 'Harry Greb would have beaten Joe Louis and Ali on the same night before going on to kick Tysons ass in 30 seconds in a street brawl' ..

'Harry Greb was P4P the greatest fighter in the history of the world, nobody ever came close, he was the most awesome fighter that ever lived, Dempsey hid under his bed quivering whenever Greb's name was mentioned'

Everything ive read on Greb suggests he was a brilliant fighter, with a unique attacking technique, speed, workrate, stamina .. He had everything, BUT and let me repeat BUT, Harry Greb is touched with a sentimental mythology from many boxing fans simply because hes not on film .... 99% of other fighters are endlessly analysed, their strengths and weaknesses are endlessly picked over, their flaws are brought up and analysed to the Nth degree and Greb cannot be scrutinised and analysed in the same way, he exists only in print so we can only dream and mythologise about his fights .. Many boxing fans need a mythic hero and Greb is always that man !!

Cue, hardcore Greb fans ready to give me shit !!
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

No not at all. Sorry.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

What vague and uninteresting pish will you come up with next mendoza.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post

Harsh.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Greb was fast. So fast Jack Johnson said he was the fastest guy he ever saw. He was quick with his feet, and had a pretty good slip and duck type of defense. In that sense, I think he could have been a bit like Pep.

But since lora is a know it all, perhaps he can help answer this question. It is a possible yes or no, and hardly uninteresting if you ask me.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose View Post
Mendoza, i wish you hadnt of mentioned Greb .. People in here are like Michael Jackson fans when they talk about Greb, they feint and swoon whenever his name is mentioned .. He is without doubt the most loved fighter in 'Classic' ....

You'll here things like, 'Harry Greb would have beaten Joe Louis and Ali on the same night before going on to kick Tysons ass in 30 seconds in a street brawl' ..

'Harry Greb was P4P the greatest fighter in the history of the world, nobody ever came close, he was the most awesome fighter that ever lived, Dempsey hid under his bed quivering whenever Greb's name was mentioned'

Everything ive read on Greb suggests he was a brilliant fighter, with a unique attacking technique, speed, workrate, stamina .. He had everything, BUT and let me repeat BUT, Harry Greb is touched with a sentimental mythology from many boxing fans simply because hes not on film .... 99% of other fighters are endlessly analysed, their strengths and weaknesses are endlessly picked over, their flaws are brought up and analysed to the Nth degree and Greb cannot be scrutinised and analysed in the same way, he exists only in print so we can only dream and mythologise about his fights .. Many boxing fans need a mythic hero and Greb is always that man !!

Cue, hardcore Greb fans ready to give me shit !!
Well, look at his resume. You can argue many things but not facts. His resume is fact.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I was thinking about Greb. He was very fast, and hard to hit cleanly. Did anyone compare Pep to Greb?
No, not really. They both wore gloves though.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
going out on a limb but i think greb's defense was based in awkward unpredictability, pep's based on evasiveness
Well said.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Well, look at his resume. You can argue many things but not facts. His resume is fact.
Greb gets a free ride from criticism on here, criticising Greb is like criticising Jesus, its automatically frowned upon ....

Tunney had him in his pocket, but Tunney isnt a guy that people like so thats kind of glossed over ..

Greb is a great fighter, theres no doubt about it, but its a FACT that he cannot be scrutinised like any other fighter so he is mythologised to an almost god like level .. FACT !!
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Greb gets a free ride from criticism on here, criticising Greb is like criticising Jesus, its automatically frowned upon ....

Tunney had him in his pocket, but Tunney isnt a guy that people like so thats kind of glossed over ..

Greb is a great fighter, theres no doubt about it, but its a FACT that he cannot be scrutinised like any other fighter so he is mythologised to an almost god like level .. FACT !!
to a degree yes. he's taken robinson's place as the warrior's warrior, boxing's immortal. he's earned it but still, you don't put him at the top of your all time list or present a fault and you're ****ed. still looking at his resume, contemporary reports and other fighters opinions and it's hard to criticize him
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

AxleNose, Where to start ?For what it's worth- My father a avid boxing fan all his life,saw Greb legally murder Gene Tunney,in 1922 MSG...He always said Greb was the greatest fighter he EVER saw, and that includes Ray Robinson, who we both watched in his welterweight prime...Of course we ca never see ane flaws in Greb, because we have no films of him...Greb's fault, I suppose by your standards.....But any 160 pound fighter who had 300 bouts, against anyone, any color, any weight,and licking them all, is worthy of the awe,I and others have of him, methinks..Tell me what 160 pound fighter you can name, can beat these much larger too fighters such as Gene Tunney, Tommy Gibbons, Jack Dillon, Tommy Loughran, Billy Miske, Battling Levinsky,Gunboat Smith, tough Kid Norfolk. Maxie Rosenbloom, Big Bill Brennan [four times ] etc ,time and again ? And for the last several years BLIND in ONE eye, too boot...If that doesn't inspire reverance for a one of a kind fistic immortal, pray tell me what does ?Oh yes I have never heard Abraham Lincoln speak, but his deeds and record speaks to later generations...So to does Greb , film or no film....
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Greb gets a free ride from criticism on here, criticising Greb is like criticising Jesus, its automatically frowned upon ....!!

Total shite.

There's been wide discussion on the Tunney/Loughran body attack plan and why Greb might be susceptible to it. You've gone totally overboard with this.

Greb is one of four fighters with the combination of resume and achievment enough to make him a candidate for GOAT. You will run up against the same resistance if you try to be overly critical of Robinson, Langford or Armstrong, too. It's because these men are in a class of their own in terms of greatness not because of some secret conspiracy on Classic.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum