Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Was Peter's power at the C Level misleading as to what it'd be like at the top level?

I mean, he KOed quite a few lower level fighters, like Wiliams, Sykes, and Julius Long, but as has been said in another thread, Peter has fought what I'd call only three upper tier heavyweights, and if you think about it, he (Peter) has yet to even hurt even one of them........It makes you wonder where they came up with the headline hype they were using to promote Peter a couple years ago.

Sure, he KDed Wlad once (legitimately) but that didn't seem to be from the power of a punch, but seemed to be more of a balance/exhaustion KD.

He only KDed Toney by landing a jab as Toney was squared up and leaning backwards.

So Peter has one legit KD, and one off balance KD, but has never hurt even one of these opponents. I think this is a prime example of how not only does the skill greatly improve at the upper tiers, but also the punch tolerance does, as well. Cause not only does it take skill to reach the top ten, it also takes punch tolerance. Something the likes of Jeremy Willaims, Taurus Sykes, and Julious Long apparently don't have even an average amount of.

Not meant to slam Peter, this is just an observation as to what it takes to make it as you rise to the upper levels of heavyweight boxing, and what differentiates the C level fighters from the A level fighters. It appears that what some may interpret as a china chin at the top level, may be seen as a chin of solid iron, only one level lower.

I think this Peter McCline fight really makes one rethink just how valid, or rediculous, all these PR/hype lines really are.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Was Peter's power at the C Level misleading as to what it'd be like at the top level?

I am now going to have to question all this hype about Povetkin, too, until he proves his mettle against Chris Byrd.

If Povetkin is not as promising as he's touted as being, Bryd will make it known.

Last edited by 4eyes; 07-25-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450
Default Re: Was Peter's power at the C Level misleading as to what it'd be like at the top level?

I agree, did ever have Mcline in trouble at all in that fight?
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

There is power and there is the delivery of power. Peter has power but fails to deliver it.

There are a number of ways to deliver power, including being accurate (Joe Louis), breaking the body down so that your target moves less (Chavez), preasuring an opponent into a position in which it can be delivered (Frazier), using a jab to set an opponent up (Lennox Lewis), or understanding range (Wlad), to name a few.

Peter posseses none of these.
acb is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

mccline and toney have good chins.

toney has one of the best chins ever tbh.

and he couldn't really land on klitschko and when he did he dropped him.

peter is just a basic stocky, strong guy with a punch.

i've never viewed him as any more than a top tenner in a currently poor division.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
flem1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Peter's power is overrated imo
flem1 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
There is power and there is the delivery of power. Peter has power but fails to deliver it.

There are a number of ways to deliver power, including being accurate (Joe Louis), breaking the body down so that your target moves less (Chavez), preasuring an opponent into a position in which it can be delivered (Frazier), using a jab to set an opponent up (Lennox Lewis), or understanding range (Wlad), to name a few.

Peter posseses none of these.
Solid Post.

Peter's fundamentals are flawed and he fights pretty muzzled. He doesnt seem to have that fluidity that those fighters you mentioned have. His handspeed needs to be improved badly and perhaps coming in lighter might make things different.

He's a work in progress. In a division desparate for talent Peter has two decent things going for him. A Big Punch and a Good Chin. Those are qualities that are great to start off with.

Side note, I should Add Tyson's delivery system IMO was by far the best in the past 2 years. Only Louis tops it (for HWs)
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Kostya Zoo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Was Peter's power at the C Level misleading as to what it'd be like at the top le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand
I mean, he KOed quite a few lower level fighters, like Wiliams, Sykes, and Julius Long, but as has been said in another thread, Peter has fought what I'd call only three upper tier heavyweights, and if you think about it, he (Peter) has yet to even hurt even one of them........It makes you wonder where they came up with the headline hype they were using to promote Peter a couple years ago.

Sure, he KDed Wlad once (legitimately) but that didn't seem to be from the power of a punch, but seemed to be more of a balance/exhaustion KD.

He only KDed Toney by landing a jab as Toney was squared up and leaning backwards.

So Peter has one legit KD, and one off balance KD, but has never hurt even one of these opponents. I think this is a prime example of how not only does the skill greatly improve at the upper tiers, but also the punch tolerance does, as well. Cause not only does it take skill to reach the top ten, it also takes punch tolerance. Something the likes of Jeremy Willaims, Taurus Sykes, and Julious Long apparently don't have even an average amount of.

Not meant to slam Peter, this is just an observation as to what it takes to make it as you rise to the upper levels of heavyweight boxing, and what differentiates the C level fighters from the A level fighters. It appears that what some may interpret as a china chin at the top level, may be seen as a chin of solid iron, only one level lower.

I think this Peter McCline fight really makes one rethink just how valid, or rediculous, all these PR/hype lines really are.
Gotta hand it to you, this is quality.

I was just posting about this in another thread. And what I was saying was...Sam Peter sucks.

BTW Julius Long clearly took a dive.
Kostya Zoo is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
huki
huk huk ^_^;;
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Peter's power at the C Level misleading as to what it'd be like at the top le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand
I am now going to have to question all this hype about Povetkin, too, until he proves his mettle against Chris Byrd.

If Povetkin is not as promising as he's touted as being, Bryd will make it known.
Byrd will not be that much of a test. He is way too faded to even give most of the top 10 a close match. The Donald fight was harder than what the Byrd fight will be.

I have no doubts that Povetkin will stop Byrd.
huki is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rey
WHAT?! After he KOed the "steel chinned" Jeremy Williams you still doubt his power? How dare you?!

to quote his fan club: "what are you a moron?!?!? only a total idiot would doubt peter's power!!!!!.....people like you make me sick......what a stupid thing to say..........you're the biggest idiot i have ever met in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (notice how their focus is on insulting people that disagree with them, rather than back their statements up with facts).
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Kostya Zoo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huki
Byrd will not be that much of a test. He is way too faded to even give most of the top 10 a close match. The Donald fight was harder than what the Byrd fight will be.

I have no doubts that Povetkin will stop Byrd.
From having watched all of Povetkin's recent fights I can honestly say that he is not a marketing illusion, a la the likes of Sam Peter.

Also, for those of you who may be in doubt, he already has BETTER competition after 13 pro fights than Same Peter did when receiving a title shot against mr. Klitschko.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
huki
huk huk ^_^;;
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya Zoo
From having watched all of Povetkin's recent fights I can honestly say that he is not a marketing illusion, a la the likes of Sam Peter.

Also, for those of you who may be in doubt, he already has BETTER competition after 13 pro fights than Same Peter did when receiving a title shot against mr. Klitschko.
Yes, and unlike everyone on here thinks, after beating Byrd and Brock/Chambers, he will be ready to fight Wlad. In boxing today, people think a fighter needs a ton of fights for years (even if almost all of them are against bums) before they can even think about fighting for a title. I really hope the IBF tournament works out like it's supposed to.
huki is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
Rollo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What´s the difference between C level and top level these days?
Rollo is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Samuel Peter is obviously a hard puncher and one of the harder punchers in the division, but compared to what the media made his power out to be - like a Shavers, Foreman, Liston, or Tyson - he falls well short. As Peter has faced top 10-20 heavyweights, it is evident that he is very strong physically and is heavy handed, but he is not a great puncher. Peter lacks the technique, snap, or combinations to put guys away and he's not going to club guys into submission like George Foreman. He is 0-4 in his attempts to KO top 20 heavyweights and when he continues to face fighters of this level, I expect his KO percentage to drop even more.

So simply put, he has power, but not great power.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
Kostya Zoo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
is heavy handed, but he is not a great puncher.
I think you really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum