Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Hamed vs Robinson

Stupendous performance, indeed.

Hamed was wonderful at countering with angles, and the left hook that finished it off was so quick the commentators thought it was a slip until they saw the replay.

Destroyed and embarrassed a decent but not great fighter in Robinson.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071
Default Re: Hamed vs Robinson

He was a truly special fighter, freakish power and it's a shame he couldn't stay dedicated when it mattered most.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
LivingHeavyBag

vCash: 1000

That was Hamed in his prime. Its a pity he wasnt in this form for very long
LivingHeavyBag is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

I think the Hamed of the Robinson fight still loses to Marco. He was still getting tagged and Barrera is a good 3 levels above Robinson.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Raashid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

For me it was the fight that Hamed's eventual failure to meet his full potential could be traced back to. My reasoning? At the time Hamed was still a natural bantamweight but his promoter manipulated him into the safe WBO route. I disagree that the the 21-year-old Barrera of 1998 would have beaten the Hamed of 1995. Maybe the Barrera of 2001 would have beaten any version of Hamed, but had Hamed stayed at bantam/super-bantam as long as his body allowed, he may never have fought the more seasoned and polished fighter Barrera became. Instead of merely a "good" featherweight champion, I think he'd have been a genuine great bantam/super-bantam champ, and then a good feather. Alas...
Raashid is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Magic performance,Hamed's was at his best from 95-97..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think the Hamed of the Robinson fight still loses to Marco. He was still getting tagged and Barrera is a good 3 levels above Robinson.
Yep, Naz was good but that poor chin tuck, switching hitting and horrific balance is a bad look against the likes of Barrera, Morales, Marquez et al. No matter what shape he's in, he loses to MAB every day of the week and twice on sunday, he has a punchers chance with El Terrible but thats because even though Erik is more talented then Barrera with better footwork and technique he is so damn emotional there's a chance he brawls with Hamed or at least fights the wrong fight in spots.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Yep, Naz was good but that poor chin tuck, switching hitting and horrific balance is a bad look against the likes of Barrera, Morales, Marquez et al. No matter what shape he's in, he loses to MAB every day of the week and twice on sunday, he has a punchers chance with El Terrible but thats because even though Erik is more talented then Barrera with better footwork and technique he is so damn emotional there's a chance he brawls with Hamed or at least fights the wrong fight in spots.
Morales had better footwork, but punching technique? Not at all. Barrera threw better combination's, had slightly faster hands, and his balance was second to none. I don't agree that Erik was more talented than his rival.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

That was a great performance from Naz although I thought the way he taunted Robinson during the fight was very disrespectful, although he did this to most so there was nothing new there...

With regards to Marco Antonio Barrera, if Naz boxed him 100 times he would lose 100 times, sometimes some fighters just have your number, MAB v Naz is a perfect example of this...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

I don't have a bad word to say about Hamed. He wasn't nearly as talented as many thought he was, but he was respectful to all opponents after the bell rang, and he took his defeat to Marco on the chin.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

I wondered how long it'd take to get around to Barrera.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
skel1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Robinson was not very good in truth and Hamed is very over rated.
skel1983 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
Robinson was not very good in truth and Hamed is very over rated.
That's a comment at both ends of the arguement...

An explanation of why Robinson was not good and why Naz was overated would be useful...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I still think Hamed is one of the most talented fighters I've ever seen in the ring. In his younger days he was stunning to watch. Maybe a lot of it was smoke and mirrors due to his flashy style and opponent selection, but he also genuinely had superb gifts. Some top speed, reflexes, upper body flexibility, natural sense for countering, toughness, and of course the famous power. Watching him against Robinson was like watching a cat toying with a mouse...quite cruel, really, but you had to marvel at Hamed's abilities. I think it's pretty easy to see the gap between the fighter he was then and the guy that faced Barrera years afterward.

Still, that version of Barrera is always at the stylistic advantage. Barrera was just brilliant on that night, particularly with his jab, movement, and the way his combinations flowed. A prime Hamed would have looked less silly, and would have had more chance to land a big bomb, but Barrera would still have to be the favourite.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #15
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

I was at this fight and Hamed was a clear level above our Steve that night , Brilliant display Simply outstanding .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum