Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default British fighters that could get a World Title fight in 2010

Thought I would review all of the fighters we have with a shot at a world title this year. Have a look at their chances of getting a shot, and then their chances of winning it. Will do some divisions today and finish it of in the week.

Starting from the top

Heavyweight

Audley Harrison - Unranked

Although its mad to suggest it, if he picks up the European title, he will get a world ranking with a few of the bodies, and if Haye (WBA) and the Klitschko brothers (Wlad IBF, WBO - Vitali WBC) are unable to agree terms, the list of credible opponents is not that long. After Povetkin, the winner of Arreola/Adameck, Solis who else would be seen as a viable opponent for Haye or the brothers. Certainly of the back of a European title win Sky could sell the fight to the British public.

Chances of a Title fight in 2010 - 5%
Chances of winning - 10%

Cruiserweight

Herbie Hide - WBC No.3, WBO No.10

Herbie Hide has been around for years, and he has been at the top of the WBC Rankings for a few more, unable to secure a title fight or an eliminator due to fighters pulling out. A fight for the Vacant WBC title between the Fragomeni and Wlodarczyk is going ahead in May, and WBC rules state if you win a title you immediately face the mandatory challenger, which would be Hide. Both would be average belt holders at best, and although Hide is well past his prime, he would still have a shot against either.......That is of course unless he comes unstuck in prize-fighter next month, which he is rumoured to be entering.

Chances of a Title fight in 2010 - 50%
Chances of winning - 25%

Enzo Macceranelli - Unranked

Just like Audley, for champion Enzo has a European title fight lined up. Its a tough ask, away from home in Russia against the solid Alexander Kotlobay. Enzo has been talking himself up the last few weeks, but we have heard it all before. On his day he has the power to trouble anyone, and it would not be a shock if he knocks the Russian out.

With the European title around his waist, Frank ****** would get behind him again as Enzo is popular and can sell tickets. A double bill with him and Nathan Cleverly for world titles would do very well in Cardiff. He would shoot up the WBO rankings, and get a top 10 with the WBC. Fragomeni and Wlodarczyk fighting for the WBC title in May, and Macro Huck holds the WBO title. If Enzo can get back to the form he showed before the Haye fight, theres no reason why he could not win fights agaisnt all 3 men.

Chances of a Title fight in 2010 - 10%
Chances of winning - 40%

Light Heavyweight

Nathan Cleverly - IBF No.3, WBO No.3, WBC No.5, WBA No.11

European Champion Cleverly has done things the traditional way, picking up all the domestic titles without too much trouble, and with Frank ****** on his side he has a deserved ranking by all the major bodies. He is low down in the pecking order with the WBA (Beibut Shumenov) which seems to be tied up in mandatory’s and re-matches for the rest of the year, so we can rule that out. The WBC is being contested for by holder Jean Pascal and number 1 in the division Chad Dawson, there’s no chance ****** lets him go there. So that leaves the IBF (Tarvoris Cloud) and the WBO (Jürgen Braehmer). These are both tough but winnable fighters for Clev and I have read interviews where he mentions he particularly fancies the Cloud fight. Cloud will have to defend his title against Glen Johnson before the summer that is a 50-50 fight. Stieglitz will defend this month.

He is number 3 with both but may as well be number 2 as the IBF number 2 spot is empty and the WBO number 1 is Bernard Hopkins, who will either retire or chase a bigger fight. As we all know, Clev is finishing his Maths degree in May, at which point he will dedicate himself full time to Boxing. A European defence in the summer followed by a world title fight at the end of the year is definitely possible, especially with ****** desperately needing big stars.

Chances of a Title fight in 2010 - 75% (Both IBF and WBO)
Chances of winning - 50%

Super Middleweight

Brian Magee - WBA No.5, WBC No.6, IBF No.11, WBO No.13

Magee's impressive European title win over Mads Larsen away from home has put him in a good position with the governing bodies, and with the major players in the division taking part in the Super Six (Froch WBC - Ward WBA) or chasing bigger fights (Bute IBF) you would be surprised at how close to a "World Title" fight Brain Magee is. That all down to the wonderful WBA and their "regular" world title belt currently held by average Dmitri Sartison, due to defend his title in Europe at the end of May.

Although he is 5th with the WBA, 3 of the fighters ahead of him are in the Super Six tournament (Kessler, Abraham, Green) and the other Jean Paul Mendy is fighting in the states in June against Zuniga. This makes Magee the best available contender. He is willing to travel and as the European Champion will be seen as a viable contender by the TV companies and paying public in Europe. If he doesn't fight Sartison, then it will be a European title defence, possibly against Paul Smith.

Chances of winning - 40%

Paul Smith - WBO No.4

The British champion is currently number 4 with the WBO (Robert Steilgrtiz). He may not deserve that position, but he is a Frank ****** fighter so it’s no surprise that he is there. With ****** wanting to free up the British title for DeGale, he may look to push Smith on. He is a big ticket seller in Liverpool, where ****** has several decent prospects in the Smith Brothers and Bellew, so big Liverpool shows with him in against Brian Magee or for the WBO Champion after Steilgritz fights Eduard Gutknecht (ranked 2nd with the WBO) this month must be an aim. After that fight Smith would be the next available contender, as ahead of him in the rankings there’s 2 Super 6 fighters (Green and Abraham) so he is pretty close to a title fight.

Chances of winning - 25%

Last edited by robpalmer135; 04-08-2010 at 05:34 AM.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172
Default Re: British fighters that could get a World Title fight in 2010

Sadly you need to add Matthew Hatton to that list...
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
mbrockett
ESB voyeur
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

think the chances of cleverly getting a world title shot this year are much lower - maybe 25% tops. cant see ****** or cleverly pushing him forward this quickly - towards the end of 2011 seems more likely.
mbrockett is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Sadly you need to add Matthew Hatton to that list...
he will be in the list when I do Welterweight tomorow.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrockett View Post
think the chances of cleverly getting a world title shot this year are much lower - maybe 25% tops. cant see ****** or cleverly pushing him forward this quickly - towards the end of 2011 seems more likely.
i tend to agree but what happens if Mitchell looses to Katsidis. then its down to Brook, who I will discuss tomorow, Clev and maybe Paul Smith to be his big name until the yougsters come through.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
he will be in the list when I do Welterweight tomorow.
O.K then
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
i tend to agree but what happens if Mitchell looses to Katsidis. then its down to Brook, who I will discuss tomorow, Clev and maybe Paul Smith to be his big name until the yougsters come through.
Eh rob,mr Burns is fighting for the WBO summer time or does that not count?
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have got Ricky Burns to win by UD in my Prediction League picks...

C'mon Ricky...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Eh rob,mr Burns is fighting for the WBO summer time or does that not count?
hes doing part 2 2mo
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
hes doing part 2 2mo
ok,as long as rob remembers the scottish talent i'd hate to think he would ha ha
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
ok,as long as rob remembers the scottish talent i'd hate to think he would ha ha

i got burns to beat martinez aswell
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
under the wire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: When u sleepin im workin, when u workin im workin too
vCash: 500

Good post Mr Palmer.

To be honest, I think Cleverly will be one of them guys that will fall short at world level. He does well against guys with no defence but the likes of Dawson, Hopkins and Pascal would school him in my opinion. Dont know about Brahmer, never seen him.

I hope Big Aud gets a title shot. I'd love to see Haye vs Audley. Can see him perhaps knocking out Wlad if he fights the right fight.

Dissapointing that Smith is so far up the ranking with the WBO.
under the wire is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by under the wire View Post
Good post Mr Palmer.

To be honest, I think Cleverly will be one of them guys that will fall short at world level. He does well against guys with no defence but the likes of Dawson, Hopkins and Pascal would school him in my opinion. Dont know about Brahmer, never seen him.

I hope Big Aud gets a title shot. I'd love to see Haye vs Audley. Can see him perhaps knocking out Wlad if he fights the right fight.

Dissapointing that Smith is so far up the ranking with the WBO.
why
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
under the wire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: When u sleepin im workin, when u workin im workin too
vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
why
Nothing against him but he's only really proved himself as the best in Liverpool yet. Quigley is the biggest name on his record and some guys thought he lost that fight. But if he does get a title shot I hope he wins it.
under the wire is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by under the wire View Post
Nothing against him but he's only really proved himself as the best in Liverpool yet. Quigley is the biggest name on his record and some guys thought he lost that fight. But if he does get a title shot I hope he wins it.
fair shout then mate but personally think he's the best super middle in britain. cant see the problem with stepping up and if he falls short at least he tried
LP_1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum