Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: British Fighters that could get a World Title fight in 2010 Part 2

What about Gavin Rees or Enzo Maccaranelli? Both are former titlists who have somewhat of a name, but look like easy marks. Those types are probably fairly likely to get a title shot, just because a lot of folks like making easy defenses.

Another one to throw in there is John Duddy. I mean, he was born in England, so I'm not sure if he counts. If he beats Chavez, Top Rank will probably try to make Pavlik-Duddy.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
What about Gavin Rees or Enzo Maccaranelli? Both are former titlists who have somewhat of a name, but look like easy marks. Those types are probably fairly likely to get a title shot, just because a lot of folks like making easy defenses.

Another one to throw in there is John Duddy. I mean, he was born in England, so I'm not sure if he counts. If he beats Chavez, Top Rank will probably try to make Pavlik-Duddy.
All of them are ****...who cares if they do get a title shot they ain't gonna win.

I think Mitchell, Brook and Cleverly are the ones that are closest in level, they shouldn't embarrass themselves if they get a chance. Mitchell has a big test coming up obviously, we'll know more then.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
Leo Ross
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 713

Gavin Rees needs to be a lot busier if he's going to make his push for world honours again.
Leo Ross is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
All of them are ****...who cares if they do get a title shot they ain't gonna win.

I think Mitchell, Brook and Cleverly are the ones that are closest in level, they shouldn't embarrass themselves if they get a chance. Mitchell has a big test coming up obviously, we'll know more then.
Well, Mitchell's already got his chance, and probably a pretty decent one at that. I already rate Clev in the LHW top 10, and if he gets the right opponent, he could win a belt no question.

Brook is a bit sketchier to me, but if they have him fight for a vacant title, then I guess he could well win it, even though I don't rate him. I mean, the rest of the top 5 is Antonin Decarie, Saul Alvarez, Rafal Jackiewicz (who is already mandatory for the IBF belt, which is held by a guy he already beat), Vitaly Demyanenko (who?) and Alfonso Gomez. I'm no fan of Brook, but he probably beats all those guys except Alvarez, and I doubt GBP wants to have Alvarez fighting for a title this early in his career.

But anyway, **** fighters with a name tend to have a much easier time getting title shots than good fighters with no name, which is why they probably deserve a mention in a list of guys who can get title shots.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
Grant1,
Just to clarify, Rhodes will be defending his Euro title on 21st May in Sheffield.
He will feature at least twice more in 2010.
Cheers mate, and also Kos and Rob.

It'll be nice to see him active.

He was quality last time out.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Rob can you no just put them in the same thread?
not enough room it goes beyond the max words limit.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, Mitchell's already got his chance, and probably a pretty decent one at that. I already rate Clev in the LHW top 10, and if he gets the right opponent, he could win a belt no question.

Brook is a bit sketchier to me, but if they have him fight for a vacant title, then I guess he could well win it, even though I don't rate him. I mean, the rest of the top 5 is Antonin Decarie, Saul Alvarez, Rafal Jackiewicz (who is already mandatory for the IBF belt, which is held by a guy he already beat), Vitaly Demyanenko (who?) and Alfonso Gomez. I'm no fan of Brook, but he probably beats all those guys except Alvarez, and I doubt GBP wants to have Alvarez fighting for a title this early in his career.

But anyway, **** fighters with a name tend to have a much easier time getting title shots than good fighters with no name, which is why they probably deserve a mention in a list of guys who can get title shots.
Have you seen Alvarez. nothing short of ordinary. I would favour Brook.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
Cheers mate, and also Kos and Rob.

It'll be nice to see him active.

He was quality last time out.
I actually never rated Moore don't think Rhodes does much at world level either. think he will struggle to keep the Euro.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If Enzo wins the European title, I would not be shocked, but reckon all that I have mentioned have more of a shot.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #25
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:

Isn't it an 'interim' title Mitchell fights for? Does that count?

I'm not sold on Brook myself but he's won the British title outright and he's won the European title so he's on that path where he's not too far away. Without ever having a remotely taxing opponent in front of him which is a concern...but he's close to a title shot and seems to be talking himself into one.

Same with Cleverly, but he's beat better opponents than Brook.

I agree Rees and Enzo could be likely candidates but...I don't think anybody will be getting overly excited at the prospect. I can't see Enzo getting one as he's certain to be KO'd in his upcoming fight. Rees might but he won the lottery to be facing M'baye the first time, M'baye's operating at British level standard at the moment really. Struggling with Lynes and getting a gift against Barrie Jones.

One I could see in the not too distant future is Paul McCloskey.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #26
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

brook has not won the european title. also he has been lined up to fight Michael Jennings 2-3 times now for it to fall through.

have added Enzo at Cruiser in part 1

Enzo Macceranelli - Unranked

Just like Audley, for champion Enzo has a European title fight lined up. Its a tough ask, away from home in Russia against the solid Alexander Kotlobay. Enzo has been talking himself up the last few weeks, but we have heard it all before. On his day he has the power to trouble anyone, and it would not be a shock if he knocks the Russian out.

With the European title around his waist, Frank ****** would get behind him again as Enzo is popular and can sell tickets. A double bill with him and Nathan Cleverly for world titles would do very well in Cardiff. He would shoot up the WBO rankings, and get a top 10 with the WBC. Fragomeni and Wlodarczyk fighting for the WBC title in May, and Macro Huck holds the WBO title. If Enzo can get back to the form he showed before the Haye fight, theres no reason why he could not win fights agaisnt all 3 men.

Chances of a Title fight in 2010 - 10%
Chances of winning - 40%
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #27
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
Have you seen Alvarez. nothing short of ordinary. I would favour Brook.
I've seen about 10 of his fights and about 7 of Kell's, and I disagree. I think Alvarez would knock him out. Kell relies on having a lot of talent, but he has massive flaws in his game. He reminds me a bit of Jean Pascal in that way. He'll be able to beat weak competition on talent alone, but until he improves on his technical flaws, he'll get beaten by someone who can throw straight punches with power.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #28
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

BTW, is there going to be a part 3? I suspect there would be because there are a few at lower weights who are still absent (Munroe, Lindsay if he counts, Mitchell if you don't count the interim, maybe Murray, etc.)

I'm enjoying what you've been putting together.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #29
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

part 3 tomorow

LW - Mitchell, Murray, Rees
SFW - Burns
FW - Lindsay
SBW - Munroe
BW - Booth, McDonnell
Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #30
Ezekiel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Rob,
I think you're wrong about Rhodes - but then again I would say that !
Ryan is in the best shape and form of his life.
I'm not saying he's gonna rule the world or anything like that, but in terms of earning the right to have a shot at a World title, I think Ryan has the best credentials.
He has the rankings, the people around him are in the main, moving up to Middlweight.
He now has the backing of a Promotor who believes in him, and capable of making fights happen with the sanctioning bodies.
Hopefully that chance will come later this year.
Ezekiel is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum